Sound proofing....

I've heard a lot about sound proofing doors (Dynamat extreme...?) when fitting new speakers. Can anybody tell me what this is about and why people do it?

I've just ordered a Lupo GTi on a `three-year` rental basis so I cant really modify a lot. I'm definately putting a box in the back and would be happy to hear any other suggestions.

Cheers biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Sound deadening is basically where you apply certain materials (such as dynamat) to the various interior panels, to dampen the vibrations made by high power sound systems, This in turn stops things like rattling problems etc. It also gives the car a slightly warmer sound by the car not being as echoy due to having so many hard surfaces.

nice explanation definately a good idea to sound proof as you could spend thousands on a good system then have yer doors rattling like hell.

im putting a mix of Dynamat `x-treme` and Ivanhoe on the outer door and on the rear of the door cards, along with some draft tape round the edges. I HATE RATTLES!

There's probably no answer to this untill I look at the contract but does anybody think if I put new speakers in, soundproof, etc, etc I would be able to give the Lupo back in that condition (at the end of the 3 years)? I want to mod the sound system but dont know what I'm allowed to do in terms of the contractual agreement...

Speakers should be pretty easy to swap back at the end of your rental period mate as long as you use stock sizes and locations, but the deadening stuff actually sticks to the panels so is hard to remove.

Saying that tho, all the panels are hidden by the interior so it's not really damaging the car visibly, and they'd never know it was there unless they stripped the interior for any reason.

Cheers guys

Yeah I suppose they probably wouldnt find it. Even if they did, I cant see them being to arsed...

I'm getting the Lupo through Smith Knight Fay, Stockport- a local VW dealership (dont know wether you've heard of it)

tdwindustries, where did you get that big VW badge from (in your back window)?? It looks wicked. Is it official VW? If not, is it good quality?

Nice one!