coilovers uninsurable

mccrindle

Hi guys,

Recieved my coilovers today and unlike some P***ks out there i don't want to run the risk of having invalid insurance due to them not being declared so i called Admiral multi car who my insurance policy is through only to be told by some guy that coilovers cannot be insured as they are a racing component and basically saying that they are unsafe/illegal

To me this sounds complete bull because i personally know other people that have coilovers insured with other insurers.

Would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this or just let me know if anyone is on admiral multi car with their coilovers declared.

cheers. :)

Edited by mccrindle

thats what i thought and in the event of an accident they will replace with standard parts if i am correct? think it was just one guy being awkward as his day was almost over lol

I know for definite that Jabbles21 is on an admiral multicar policy and they took on his suspension. All he said was that it was lowered by a certain amount and they were fine with it. I think they charged him something like £30 to add it to his policy. Don't quote me on that though

thanks for the link NOCK, i have read this previously and can't understand why insurance companies are that awkward when they're getting more money, really does puzzle me :confused:

Edited by mccrindle

As newnesie said - All I stated is that I was lowered at 50mm or below. They never asked what kind of suspension upgrade I had undergone. I'm with admiral on a multi car policy too. It can be done, just call again, you get different quotes and different people every time!

Try what bickerton said and just say 'aftermarket suspension'

Jake.

i had coils on and they just asked the height, all you say is aftermarket suspension then they ask the height for me it was less than 5cm i think!

now i also have my ap fixed kit on!

all with admiral / elephant (same company)

Edited by Big Jase

cheers for the info, i'll try this tomorrow and see what happens. just frustrating how they can say something so extreme about them haha.

well it's the right thing to do declaring it :) people who don't irritate me cause it makes insurance overall worse when they crash etc.

Of course none of this would happen if you weren't using some sort of Mickey Mouse insurance company like Bell or Admiral to insure a modified car.

the decent companies like brentacre which are specifically for modifed cars are more expensive i found, bentacre wanted 400 more than what i paid with aviva!

hopefully i'll have another years no claim and the gap between wont be so much

• 1 month later...

I'm with admiral too. Only allowed "up to 50mm" drop though.

Question only asked about measurement, not type of suspension.

cheers guys gotta give them a ring completely forgot about getting the coilovers sorted haha. £70 sounds fair imo.

admiral will insure coilovers aslong as the car is not lowered anymore than 50mm.

but if your due for renewal anytime soon i highly recommend 'brentacre'....

i have a lupo gti with..

421 manifold

decat

centre section and backbox

BMC intake

weitec coilovers set very low ;)

uprated discs and pads

and many more to come, i get all these mods free of charge and i pay £600 per year :)