My gti brakes are S**t!!!

Dare

Anyone else agree?

I recently had VW check them after i expressed how poor they were and i was told they are "fine"

I dont get any abs feedback and have to stamp on them to get them to stop me. This cant be right!!! The brakes on the ****ty polo i had as a courtesy car were better!!! They took a while to come on (you had to press them hard) but when they did you stopped much more abruptly

yeah i think i may well agrre bud. abs, i think everyone agrees is way too sensitive. i must say that i think the brakes in my first loop were better, although hard to judge because it was a while ago. the brakes are definately something i will be upgrading in the future!

This is interesting as i find the brakes in my lupo fine, even better once you've warmed them slightly. Neither does my abs cut in unless im emergency braking or it's icy, if the abs does cuts in you know about it, as you can feel it the same as you could on my old polo. The only thing i would really complain about it the dunlops.

Yes, if your braking as much as you can the abs cuts in straight away and you can feel it through the pedal and yes you get juddering. Mines come on a couple of times where i didnt realise it was icy and the other night when i mistook a morisons carrier for a badger :roll:

See i dont get this, my abs doesnt cut in unless it really needed even in the wet, i personally think the oversensitivity issues with the abs that people are having are due to the ****ty quality of the dunlops. Perhaps im not having issues with it because mine had new fronts in november and i've only done about 800 miles on them.

when i mistook a morisons carrier for a badger
laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> One of the best quotes ive heard in a while!!!
my abs doesnt cut in unless it really needed even in the wet
This is the thing mine wont come on!!!!! I had to slam them on the other day when someone broke hard infront of me (i was going to fast) and i struggled to stop.

It feels like you get to a certain point of pushing the brake pedal and then it wont go ant further and wont brake that last bit more that brings you to a stop!

when i mistook a morisons carrier for a badger  :lol:  One of the best quotes ive heard in a while!!!

I know, it was dark and the wind blew it infront of me. I felt like prat after. :oops:

As for your ABS IMO you have a problem, but it's worth driving to a quiet road and testing it, just slam on the brakes as hard as you can and it should cut in, you will know if it does cus you'll feel it and hear it.

I'd agree with Diamondblack - the brakes are fine to me, and the thing can really stop when asked to! Pulled 1.2G when braking. Also haven't experienced much fade on them, even when really pushing.

My ABS isn't too sensitive either - I've had it trigger a couple of times, but usually when going over a slippery patch during normal braking. I can feel when the wheels are starting to lock, and seem to be able to modulate the braking force before the ABS cuts in, generally.

Might be worth getting the pads and discs checked (obviously), making sure the system doesn't need bleeding, and getting a full wheel alignment - a couple of misaligned front wheels would seriously affect stopping distance and ABS sensitivity.

QUOTE(Dare)
It feels like you get to a certain point of pushing the brake pedal and then it wont go ant further and wont brake that last bit more that brings you to a stop!

Sounds very weird. Find a quiet dry bit of road and just stand on the brake pedal - you should notice the ABS pumping (feel it through the pedal) and as you come to a stop you should be able to hear it whirring (make sure the radio's off!)

If you lock up the wheels, ABS is gone (and you should have an ABS warning light). If you can't lock the wheels or trigger the ABS, something is very seriously wrong with your brakes, and I'd highly recommend not driving the car until it's fixed.

One of the best quotes ive heard in a while!!!  

I know, it was dark and the wind blew it infront of me. I felt like prat after

Im still laughing now laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
just slam on the brakes as hard as you can and it should cut in, you will know if it does cus you'll feel it and hear it.
This is the thing, i have had to test them in real situations and they were crap! (and the abs was none existant)

I just wanted to see whether everyones brakes were like this. And as they arent, the guys a VW are getting paid a visit on Monday!

If you lock up the wheels, ABS is gone (and you should have an ABS warning light). If you can't lock the wheels or trigger the ABS, something is very seriously wrong with your brakes, and I'd highly recommend not driving the car until it's fixed.
This is exactly what im thinking!!! and is my understanding abs!! I just wanted someone else to have the same opinion!!!

ABS: I had to take avoiding action once when a lorry pulled out on me, had to slam on and turn up the road the lorry was coming from, the abs came on like mad then, pedal and wheel were giving it vibrations. I would have had a nasty one there with no abs as i'm not sure my skills would've been up to that incident with no abs

The other time I can think of, was early in the morning going to work on a sunday. short cut across country to work, tractor round a corner, damp road, changin cd - PANIC!

Other than that there have been a few occasions where I've thought "crap this is gonna be close" and stopped with loads of room

Had some severe fade on several occasions. Almost all of them in Milton Keynes wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

The one time I've tracked the car (the ring in 33C heat) I had major fade, proper sphincter clenching moments biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> fun though

Over a ton they suck big time (on the ring wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />)

QUOTE(twisty `b-road`)
I would have had a nasty one there with no abs as i'm not sure my skills would've been up to that incident with no abs

That was one of the reasons I bought the VX220 (ABS) over the Elise S1 (no ABS)

ok if you drive in normal to a bit quick speeds they are fine....if you blast down country roads in the wet they do nothing useful. and cant think who said it but I also think the problems with them being oversensitive is due to crap tyres.

as for the car with them not coming on at all....just get someone to look at them asap.

The brakes fade really badly when you ask alot of them. Thats down to the standard pads. They are designed to give good braking with only a small amount of effort at slow to medium speeds, which they do pretty well. Beyond this they are *****. Put in some really good high performance pads and a fluid change if its been a while and the brakes are pretty good.

The Dunlops are part of the ABS problem. If you're braking hard and the road gets a little bumpy they loose grip sooo easily. This problem is even more apparent with stiffer suspension.

well being 18 and can hardley drive my input is, my lupo sport (gti brake setup) was far better than a fiesta TD, 306 TD and Matiz. but i dont do any heavy braking. i like the feel of the brakes to best gradual feel iv ever had

Agree with Snoop but I really, really, really think you need to look at tyres - the brakes can only do so much!!!! The Dunlops are awful. I barely have pads on the front and the discs are very worn, but I have got new Toyos and the car stops on a button. The ABS doesnt kick in like it used to (similar to what you are reporting).

Over 100 the discs cant cope - if you are doing over 110 then the brakes grab and are generally ****ty.

I am running standard discs with Pagid Fast Road pads - no problems stopping!