Cam belt snapped

I know it's not a progress thread but hoping this will help people in the future rather than it just being another dead thread with people arguing ;)

Collected my head today, got cleaned up a little, 2 valves replaced, stem seals done, and all rebuilt up.

Aswell as this i got the complete head kit, which turns out it contains cam seals and everything.

As posted earlier it cost £140.60 and that included only £30 labour for them to do it all.

Total cost up till now is around £250 that also includes the cambelt kit and water pump so aslong as i can put it all back together properly at the weekend it's all good.

Shows a massive drama doesn't have to be too expensive to sort out. (hopefully)

207429_10150148086121032_540221031_6905990_2917685_n.jpg

Edited by Bickerton

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool thanks, it did quieten a bit, but still not as was before the massive failure.once i have sorted my leak i will run it in and hope it goes a little quieter.

Also with the ECU having no power tot it for a couple of weeks will it run a little iffy to start with or?

Cam belt is all timed up properly so that's not the issue, just seems to be running a little odd, only had it run for about 5 minutes max though.

Also the belt is a little whiney, is this the norm with a new belt or would i need to slacken off the tensioner a tiny bit?

If the belt is whining, you'd best slacken it off a tad.

Did you fill the lifters with oil prior to building it back up? If not, they'll take a while to fill and quieten down. A good run will sort that out, as the oil is still pretty thick after 5 mins use.

Yeah i filled up the lifters, it's settled down a little bit after a run, still louder than it used to be tho, i do need to do an oil change very soon and will pop some forte through it too to see if that helps atall.

Whining appears to have gone, if it starts again tomorrow when i leave for work i will slacken it a little

Thanks for all the help and advise regarding this matter.

Now to book it in for it's mot..

My idle is a little odd still and have decided to put this down to inlet leak atm, i didn't replace the original o rings as they seemed ok, but appears now they weren't.

In the head kit i also got a gasket for the inlet, problem is, it's a metal gasket and not rings.

IMAG0410.jpg

This it would seem really isn't right, anyone think otherwise or?