cutting springs

tash.lupo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't cut the springs.

A coil spring is made with progressive tensioning, so it isn't as stiff in the middle as it is at the ends, if you chop the stiffer part out you could potentially end up with a very bouncy ride.

You're also putting a lot of extra strain on the shock absorbers which will in turn lead to blowing the shock seals and you'll need new shock absorbers too.

Good idea, just don't put them back on the car.

People have been chopping springs for years and you'll probably hear of more people who have had no issues than this those who have.

If you have a friendly welder you could get the bottom strut mount mount lowered.

You haven't mentioned whether you have taken the adjusters out; good for another 10\20mm as far as I am aware.

I cut my standard springs :D i dont care i've cut spring before and i will do it again. I cut both front and rear and i'm very happy with the stance, hight and ride, bouncy though...Feel free to abuse..

Does your insurance know.

I cut my standard springs :D i dont care i've cut spring before and i will do it again. I cut both front and rear and i'm very happy with the stance, hight and ride, bouncy though...Feel free to abuse..

you are a prime example of why my insurance has went up 40% in the last year

:coffee:

Does your insurance know.

Yes Brenda, Ofcourse they know. No they don't.

you are a prime example of why my insurance has went up 40% in the last year

:coffee:

Yes, I am soo sorry. It IS totally my fault insurance went up, i did this all single handedly.

Companies such as FK can supply springs at pretty much any length and compression rate you want, they would normally be around £60 per pair.

When I was younger I would have just cut them, but im older and not such a pikey these days so ide be spending a little bit of cash to do the job properly.

Who says im going to have a accident?! Yes blah blah blah hopefully touch wood i wont be in a accident. And i think you will find i have owned a honda civic with cut coilovers, stripped, no dash, straight through buddyclub exhaust, buckets and harnesses without telling the insurance. had a 3 way crash and i got paid £1870 so chin up. Yeah i'll just spend this sunny day reading that. :confused: