Head gasket repair ...

LupoGTiNAB

Just noticed about 10 minutes ago that I've got a small amount of "Mayonaise" on the oil cap and that the coolant is lower than last time I checked.

I'm looking to try and save money, I can't really afford to stick it in a garage.

I have a basic knowledge on car mechanics and have always done my own servicing, brake changes and replacement of minor parts. I've also done a bearing change on my mates Corsa and a sunroof reseal in a Clio, so it's fair to say I know how to undo and retighten bolts...lol

How easy is a head gasket repair to do yourself? ... while I'm on I might aswell ask, it's in desparate need of a full service, Are the service parts easily accessible?

Some times the 'mayonnaise' stuff is just moisture after short journeys .

I've lost a small amount of coolant too, so I'm definately thinking it's leaking

Edited by LupoGTiNAB

Well its not really worth doing it yourself, the head will need to come off and get skimmed and crack tested which cost's £110. My headgaskets just gone too so i'm in the same situation :( plus when you take the rockercover off the cams will come out too so the cams will need lining up with the cam belt.

Well its not really worth doing it yourself

I wouldnt, requires bit more than just bolting and un-bolting!!

Bugger, cheers guys

As long as the oil in the sump is clear and it's not using litres of water i wouldnt worry about it.

You may just have a small coolant leak from a dodgy pipe.

My bet is that you use the car for short journeys, which would explain the mayo in the oil cap. It's just condensation.

I wouldnt worry, mayo is nothing to worry about. Have you any oil in the header tank? Because if you have water leaking in to the oil, you will have oil in the water.

The distance between the oil and waterways is a fair distance on these engines I'd be surprised if it's failed tbh.

John

the head will need to come off and get skimmed and crack tested which cost's £110.

Where are you going to get charged that much?

Did they have a big glass window to see you coming through?

The last time I got a head skimmed it cost me £35!

There are other ways to lose coolant than via HGF, so dont assume its that. As said, leave it if there is no water in the sump. Oil on the cap is normal.

Top up the coolant, follow the piping and check for any crystals to try and find a leak.

Whan was the water pump last changed?

Not too big a job really no special skill required just leave inlet in situ complete with wiring and skimming + pressure testing costs £15 at my local engineering place but i don't think they charge for the pressure testing part so same for just skimming

Waas that a serious question?

you have read this guys build thread right?? he knows his ****!