reverse lights not working

hey just wondering what to do next?

my reverse lights won't come on when the car is in put into reverse, I've tried changing the bulbs so it's not that. I've heard there may be a switch in the gearbox which activates the lights? anyone got any ideas or had a similar problem?

yeah very easy to fit think its around a 24mm spanner and its just called a reverse light switch when your at the dealership they will shouw you on etka to make sure it the bit you want

i had this problem and found out that the wires to the reverse light had been cut!

simple black and red wires needed to be connected back together. had to take battery out to gain access though, that was the hardest part :)

i didnt buy a new one mate, i just reconnected the wires.

There is a plastic covering on the wires and the edge was so sharp it cut through the wires...

cut back the plastic cover and reconnected then sealed it.

Best way to check your switch is to disconnect the multi plug and bridge the two wires with a paperclip. Put the car in reverse and if the lights come on volla.. Faulty switch. Hope that helps.

checked the switch with some wire to make sure it was that and they came on, got one off a mates garage for next to nothing :D all sorted. thanks for the replies!

Reversing lights aren't tested on your MOT.

I know this for a fact as I have red bulbs in mine and haven't had any questions asked.

hope not.. Might be different here in norway tho.. :) But still, I want them working. hehe

• 11 months later...

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this ? I've got the usual "failed reverse light" problem and I've managed to find the reverse light switch on top of the gearbox, and can see that one of the wires to the electical connector block is broken - my problem is that, because I cannot get near enough to it to see clearly, I cannot work out how to release the connector block from the reverse switch. Can anyone describe, exactly, how I need to press/twist/manouver the connector block to get it off the switch, without breaking it - I can see that it has one side with a raised "slot' on it, but cannot see well enough to understand how to work the locking mechanism - thanks.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, henry.0112 said:

Where is the switch for this cant find where it is, 1.0 if that makes any difference 

On top at the back of the gearbox closest to bulkhead. Look down the back and you will see.