Tuning the 3cyl 1.4 TDI

kevo66

100bhp is more than enough. 110bhp might be possible but i imagine that will be screwed right up and it will probaby do damage to other things.

Will make it a whole new car at 100bhp.

Ta mate, its apparently running 90 now.

Was thinking about an FMIC to go wth it as the STD one is tiny?

Don't think it's recommended to change the intercooler, the bigger one is more of a hinderance I think.

Put a decent filter on there and 110bhp will be quite achievable I think.

I've never heard of any engine problems with them either.

Edited by Philplop

Nfbr suggested to me that if your going to get a new intercooler you need to get it specially design to the same specs as the original one however with only a 10-15mm enlargement.

An updated panel filter/decat exhaust and then a decent custom map will be your best bet. Or if u wanna go all out Audi a2 turbo and injectors should see you push 130bhp. But at costly amount.

I'm on the same tuning mission with the TDI aswell.

I'm looking into it ATM.

If you wanna have a look at a crackin TDI go into the members cars section and go into the need for torque part at the top and have a look at the blue TDI. Big list of modifications on that!

Is it worth it guys?

I know a revo tuner that can get it to nearly 110BHP apparently with a map. I have had people tell me that these like spitting pistons though if pushed too hard?!

The AMF engine is tough as old boots, mines been running at just shy of 120bhp for over 45k now & it's never missed a beat. Get it mapped & it's like a whole new car, the standard clutch is pretty good too, mines only just started to judder slightly at 65k & like I said, over 45k of that has been with the extra power!

Probably better to get the custom map after everything else and group anything mapped as a whole. Yeah I don't wanna go that far like. My clutch has only just gone and thats at nearly 80k. Clutch wise I have been looking into the benefits of a new one. And there isn't a need to get a new one at the power we will be running as the STD ones used are the same as either 130ps one or 100ps one can't quite remember.

They are the 1.9 with a cylinder cut off, they are the same innards as the 1.9 too.

I know of one running 130bhp in an A2 in the UK, a lupo with 130 in romania and a fabia running this engine at 180. They are strong enough but the gearbox isnt :)

There my friends is your stumbling block but having said that get a decent remap and put plenty of thought into it and your away :D

Probably better to get the custom map after everything else and group anything mapped as a whole. Yeah I don't wanna go that far like. My clutch has only just gone and thats at nearly 80k. Clutch wise I have been looking into the benefits of a new one. And there isn't a need to get a new one at the power we will be running as the STD ones used are the same as either 130ps one or 100ps one can't quite remember.

Are there any uprated ones out there anyway mate?

They are the 1.9 with a cylinder cut off, they are the same innards as the 1.9 too.

I know of one running 130bhp in an A2 in the UK, a lupo with 130 in romania and a fabia running this engine at 180. They are strong enough but the gearbox isnt :)

There my friends is your stumbling block but having said that get a decent remap and put plenty of thought into it and your away :D

Aye, will see what we can coax out of it. Whats the spec of the 130BHP jobbies mate?

pd130 setup with custom vnt control rather than the wastegate.

Needs custom manifold, new exhaust, bigger injectors, bigger turbo obviously lol, an ecu reconfig (thats the issue theres no one i know of that does it in the UK), then a remap, better clutch, gearbox rebuild to be safe and look to strengthen it and longer gears if possible across the whole box. THEN i think depending upon how it drives LSD and all other supporting mods such as better brakes and handling to keep it on the road. Biggest diameter wheels the better to raise the grearing and for traction. Oh a new n75 valve for vnt control too and all asociated vacume piping.

Theres a fair bit to it lol

pd130 setup with custom vnt control rather than the wastegate.

Needs custom manifold, new exhaust, bigger injectors, bigger turbo obviously lol, an ecu reconfig (thats the issue theres no one i know of that does it in the UK), then a remap, better clutch, gearbox rebuild to be safe and look to strengthen it and longer gears if possible across the whole box. THEN i think depending upon how it drives LSD and all other supporting mods such as better brakes and handling to keep it on the road. Biggest diameter wheels the better to raise the grearing and for traction. Oh a new n75 valve for vnt control too and all asociated vacume piping.

Theres a fair bit to it lol

Sod that.... I'll stick to a custom map lol! TBH, for that expense, you may as well 1.8T it!

Edited by kevo66

Lol if you play your cards right and put plenty of thought into it/get a good parts man, then you can do it for less than you think. 1.8T has been done anyway many times might aswell have a go lol but then again a remap will suit most, strip some weight also and your laughing.

The 1.9 engine isn't that much heavier. And with nearly double the power weight wouldn't really matter. Yup but if u know what your doing u can do it. Your looking about 5-6 grand if it is done by a tuning company.

Yeah itd be fine if you knew what your doing, i think the tuning the 1.4 could be done by a amature but i wouldnt like to do the engine swap. Theres a MK1 arosa running the 1.9 but i think its the older wastegate engine (aaz possably not sure, mk3 golf i think) and thats quick but only at 135 and he quotes 0-60 in the 6's. When 130 is doable with the lighter 1.4 block, gearbox ect and less cash i think its the better option.

Il be mega happy with 0-60 in the 7's but theres more reasons for going vnt than that such as lag, mpg and drivability.

Each to their own like and id love to see a 1.9 lupo/arosa mk2 but id stick with the 1.4 :)

If it goes bang pick up a new engine for 700 quid and sell the bits off again to a pd100 tuner.

Tbh i think a fmic is a must!

Ive had tuned 1.9 tdi's before way beyond 200bhp

I heard a pd130 turbo fits and pd130 injectors

Lets face it if you can get it anywhere near gti power 125bhp you'll have a quick car, should rip a gti with the torque

Hello, I have a 1.4tdi with pd130 injectors and vnt17 turbo and it works great. The turbo spools way better than the stock one and it pulls very hard till 4500rpm. I don't know the power yet, but it accelerates to 62 in under 8s.