Aerial . . .

brabus4

I'm thinking about having an internal aerial fitted to the Lupo. When I bought it, the external aerial had been snapped off . . . according to the seller, someone had it through the carwash or something like that, but the hard pastic base section (which is secured to the roof) is all scuffed and battered looking, so I want it off asap. It actually looks like someone has had a pair of pliers to it and tried to pull it off . . . idiots!

Anyway, I am going to fit a dummy shark fin aerial on top to fill the space, although they don't function, I think they look quite good . . . plus you can't argue with it costing under a tenner. I'm gonna go for an internal aerial instead, but get someone to fit it for me.

Only trouble is, does anyone know how to get the original base section to the aerial off without causing damage to the roof? It feels pretty secure on there! :huh:

Any help or advice at all would be really appreciated.

Cheers folks.

You need to remove the headliner from inside the car and take it out from underneath. I guess there's a bolt holding it on.

Undo all the grab handles and sunvisors and I think the headliner slides back off the clips, so pull it towards the boot and it should drop down enough for you to get in and undo the aerial.

Aerial is bolted on, but to get to the nut you need to gently pull the headlining down at the back.

You need to take out the rear C pillar trims and the rear grab handles. Then gently pull the headliner from the back to upclip it (2 large clips), then carefully pull it down. Aerial has a 22mm nut, undo this and disconnect the wiring to the aerial and its out.

Edit: beaten to it.

Edited by Hipwell

All that just to remove an aerial! :huh::lol:

Ah well, thanks for the info guys, who's taking bets that I'll break something in the process? . . .

Also, while I'm on the subject, has anyone ever fitted an internal aerial and if so, what is the process?? Is it difficult??

I've had a quote to have one fitted by a car audio guy, but he's charging £30. Not sure if this is a good price or whether I should go out and buy one and attempt it myself?

• 2 years later...

hello mate did you fit yours shark fine ? just im looking to fit one and people are saying they dont fit and they hang over the back! is this true ? also do you have a link to the aerial you bought ? cheers Luke

There is a guide (with pictures) on here on how to remove the aerial. I fitted a windscreen aerial of ebay - similar to 180915272105 - and it has remarkably good reception. Three issues - in bright sun, it starts to peel so you need to find a bit of extra glue to secure it at the "heavy" base - I had to remove the glove box to route it properly- and the worse bit was actually getting it through a very small gap between dash and a pillar - bit of excessive force needed - but be careful!