G60 brake conversion

Whiny 77

I've been reading up on the big brake conversion that people have done. Using the g60 carries & the 280mm disc, have the guys who've done it found it was worth it. Or was it the case that it's only made a miner difference to what they had.

I've got an Arosa sport with EBC discs & pads, I was looking to do the conversion but only really if it was worth it. One thing I don't get is how is it going to make a big difference if your still using the same caliper with a bigger disc. Surly it's as much down to the number of pistons you have as well as the bigger disc.

• Like 1

It does make a difference, but braking is dependant on tyre grip and that could be the limiting factor. Didn't notice much difference on mine, but the brakes were good before. Changing to racing pads now, provide much better feel on the brakes.

Upgrading calipers to increase piston size does have more effect, but it leads to more pedal travel. The Lupo(GTI or Sport) uses the same 54mm piston size as most VAG's including Golf GTI and Audi TT. 4- pot calipers provide better clamping force over a sliding caliper and usally have bigger pads which is another big advantage.

One of the main benefits of upgrading from 256mm to 280mm is that the bigger diameter a disc is, the less likely the brakes are to feel snatchy and thus cause ABS to kick in prematurely.

The main difference I found between 256mm and 280mm on my lupo TDI was that when I slammed on, the 280's just worked. They didn't seem to want to lock up at all and throw the ABS system into action like my 256's did.

One of the main benefits of upgrading from 256mm to 280mm is that the bigger diameter a disc is, the less likely the brakes are to feel snatchy and thus cause ABS to kick in prematurely.

The main difference I found between 256mm and 280mm on my lupo TDI was that when I slammed on, the 280's just worked. They didn't seem to want to lock up at all and throw the ABS system into action like my 256's did.

This is the only difference I have noticed as well. They won't stop you any faster because the same amount of pad material is in contact with the disc. Apart from the above the only other difference might by the larger disc dissipates heat quicker (larger surface area) so are less likely to cause fade.

However that is going to be barely (if at all) noticeable.

Cheaper discs, more choice and they look better. Any increase in braking is a bonus. :lol:

The only reason not to upgrade when your brakes need changing, is if you want to stick to 14" wheels, IMO.

Yeah I have noticed that the choice of discs is greater & priced better.

I've looked @ the black diamond & Brembo disc's. Ive always either had EBC or Mintex so I fancied a change.

I bought aftermarket 280mm Brembo discs/pads and they were that **** and faded so fast that i took them back to GSF!

I then bought Pagid discs/pads and they are really impressive. You can confidently stop from 120mph and know it will stop on it's nose. Although, afer about 3-4 100mph stops they do begin to fade!

Better than the standards which faded after a hard 60mph stop!

• 2 years later...

I'm looking at doing this conversion on a gti, what do I need to do this??

If someone could give me part numbers or what year and vehicle I can find the relevant bits would be great.

Do I need to change the caliper carriers aswell or does the 'g60 calipers' bolt straight on to my current gti ones?

I'm looking at doing this conversion on a gti, what do I need to do this??

If someone could give me part numbers or what year and vehicle I can find the relevant bits would be great.

Do I need to change the caliper carriers aswell or does the 'g60 calipers' bolt straight on to my current gti ones?

Theres info in the how to section: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/74272-how-to-fit-280mm-g60-brakes-to-a-lupo/#entry879330