What next for GTI?!

Cooper_GTI

I was less than impressed with my GTI's performance, so i decided to try and make it a bit a quicker.

So far i have done the following:

Lightened flywheel

Ashley 4-1 manifold

Decat

Pipercross panel filter

Uprated air intake

Lightweight wheels

I feel that i now have a good basis for some proper engine work, as all of the above mods really didnt do a fat lot in terms of performance.

Would the next logical step be head work, or maybe cams?

I have thought about bike carbs too! :)

Well my old nova redtop was running 45 webers, which gave a huge hike in power and torque, but i returned 10-15mpg, which was crippling! :blink:

However, i am led to believe bike carbs are more economical and not quite as rawcus as webers and can even be so smooth that its hard tell its not standard!

Throttle bodies is out of the question! I'm not spending £2k plus for an extra 20-30bhp?

Some cams would probably next on the agenda then? What would you recommend for the GTI? And will it still maintain the VVT?

I cant see the point in going backwards to try to come forwards.

Id rather save and go for bodies then try to set it up on carbs.

Well working on that theory it would be more beneficial just to stick with management and get it mapped.

TB's will be in the region of 1700 plus wiring and setup time.

Tied in with head work and cams, i cant see why ~170bhp isn't achievable.

Saying that, a FI setup will cost you more than that, and you ill see from 170bhp plus if done right.

Im going TB's with my new charger setup, Which i cant wait to get building!

Carbs will give you issues come MOT time.

I have been looking at getting more power from my GTI which i was going to stick a diesel lump in although i changed my mind after pricing up suspension valved to suit the extra weight .

Cams with a gasflowed ported head and larger valves if possible along with a full exhaust and re map after that its going to get very expensive .

Edited by karl

Someone get a doctor, this man is ill! :lol:

After using the car a bit i came to my senses / i am looking at restoring the car a bit now but money is an issue due to having another car .

Dont know about cams/VVT, but as far as Im aware its there for emissions rather than power.

Is it still on standard suspension?

It definitely helps the engine maintain the power higher up the rev range. I've seen graphs with/without VVT and it definitely helps.

With regards to chassis mods:

AP coilovers

Uprated A.R.B

G60 brakes

ALl brand new geniune VW bushes

Bridgestone Pilots all round

It really is a sorted little car, just needs a bit more OOOMPH! Lol

Although, i'm travelling 150 miles to work, so i need to maintain reliability/economy, so that rules out bodies/carbs. :lol:

I dont know if i am correct on this but i also thought VVT also helped with torque output at low revs .

Edited by karl

Have you actually had it remapped after fitting all these parts?

If it's not been mapped that's where I'd start, you'll probably gain a bit more power, smoother power delivery and better economy for it too.

Personally i dont see the point in mapping it yet. There isnt really any need to change fueling when all ive done is made it breathe better. The ECU parameters will easily cope with what's been done.

I feel that when you introduce cams, it is then the fueling needs to be altered.

Why waste like £300-£400 at this stage of tune, just to have it done again if i do some real engine work. I.e. headwork/cams

I dont agree at all with that first bit, if thats what you think remap does.

Last bit i do agree with, if you plan to do more then do it and then get it done.

Theres at least 1/3 more gain in the mods you have done if you tie them together, you will be hugely surprised how better the car drives once its been done.

It definitely helps the engine maintain the power higher up the rev range. I've seen graphs with/without VVT and it definitely helps.

Its not VVT as you think, infact on the lupo it really does not do a great deal.

I dont agree at all with that first bit, if thats what you think remap does.

Last bit i do agree with, if you plan to do more then do it and then get it done.

Theres at least 1/3 more gain in the mods you have done if you tie them together, you will be hugely surprised how better the car drives once its been done.

Its not VVT as you think, infact on the lupo it really does not do a great deal.

I'm guessing that at high revs the vvt advances the timing, helping to maintain a flat curve higher up in the revs.

I'm definitely not getting it mapped yet. I would rather spend the £300 on a set of cams, which even without a remap would probably see more gains than a remap at this early stage.

To be honest, there were no massive gains from anything i've done, so that 1/3 more really wouldn be noticeable at all, although, like you say, they'd probably get more torque and a flatter curve.