Petrol gauge

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bring this old thread up, but same thing happened to me yesterday...

I was driving and the reserve/yellow light came on. Get to the filling station and fill the car up, but the light still stays on. After a few miles the needle goes up to 1/4 of a tank and light goes off, but the needle should have gone up all the way, as the car is full of petrol.

What do you guys think this could be? Faulty sensor?

Edited by Blue Loop

Sorry to bring this old thread up, but same thing happened to me yesterday...

I was driving and the reserve/yellow light came on. Get to the filling station and fill the car up, but the light still stays on. After a few miles the needle goes up to 1/4 of a tank and light goes off, but the needle should have gone up all the way, as the car is full of petrol.

What do you guys think this could be? Faulty sensor?

Nope. You didn't fill the tank? The sensors in the tank on Lupo's aren't precise to the exact drop (although they're far better than Ka's and 206's) and the little petrol warning light certainly isn't. Let's be honest, they're not really supposed to be. They're an idiot light in case you're willing to let your car run itself to the point of fumes. If you fill the tank up full, drive it till empty, I'm sure you will see the sensor is working fine. Filling up a quarter of a tank or whatever isn't really that clever, not because you'll do any damage, but because the sensor trips the light at just below a quarter of a tank, so if you fill it up a quarter, you're unlikely to trip it off until you either go up or down a hill when the liquid is at an angle and can trip it.... then it'll come back on 100 yards down the road.

Maybe I didnt express myself correctly.

Light came up, I stopped at a petrol station and filled the car up. 29 litres got into the car. So it's not that I only filled a quarter of a tank.

Then, right after filling up, the light stayed on and the needle was down, still on the red part. After a little while it came up to 1/4 and the light went out, but the needle doesnt come up to 4/4, which is where it should be.

That's why I thought about a faulty sensor being what's wrong...

:)

Good stuff. The gauges on these Lupo's are surprisingly accurate when compared to Ka's and other hatchbacks.

Can't compare with other models to be honest.

The gauge in the SDi hasn't failed in 15+ years tho :)

mines a 99 Loop and the fuel gauge is still bob on. My girlfriends Ka will read a full tank until it's half empty.
  • Like 1