Pulling to left

I have been on a big economy drive with the GTI lately (300+ to a tank!) but drove it in anger for the first time in a while today. With no throttle, the car drives straight, it brakes in a straight line. It handles the same as ever, and is perfectly stable at 70+mph.

However when you accelerate, it pulls left - the harder you accelerate the harder it pulls. If I let go of the wheel whilst at WOT in 2nd I would instantly be off the road. WOT in 6th at 70 and it pulls left, but much more gently. In other words, the more torque at the wheels, the more if pulls left.

I hit a big pothole with the NSF wheel in October, however this seems to have only come on recently. Tracking is fine, (checked by 3 places) and nothing appears to be broken.

Hold the steering wheel straight and it goes straight - let go of it and the wheel turns left. Tyres across the axle are the same brand/tread depth. However I got them on the wheels as as such do not know the history of them or the wheels. I had new (3rd party) wishbones fitted a while ago, as well as a new set of baths. Could el cheapo bushes cause this? Could other susp geo being out of spec cause this? It seems fine by eye (my untrained eye that is!)

Thanks

Tom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could well be that the tracking is spot on when the car is static, but if the car has a knackered bush on one side, then the suspension geometry will change between rolling and acceleration!

Get your wishbones checked over Tom!

An engine mount shouldn't effect anything as the suspension etc is attached to the subframe. Engine mounts are designed to allow engine movement without affecting the steering/suspension.

What wishbones did you fit on? Genuine VW ones or Aftermarket? I've seen some of the aftermarket ones last just 30 days on the car!

They are 3rd party, and initially I did point the blame at the bushes. I just dont want to blow £100 on fitting some powerflex ones to find it doesnt fix the problem.

How likely is it that they are at fault?

Go on then, If this fixes it I owe you both a beer!

Can get all 4 bushes for £40, know of anywhere cheaper?

That sounds cheap!!!

You could get away with just doing the big ones, as the small ones have such a small diameter and are solid(Unlike other cars).

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if you're already said, but have you checked both tyre pressures are the same? Tyres a matched pair? What about camber, is it the same both sides?

Normally if just the tracking is out it puts the steering wheel wonky or wears the tyres unevenly, it doesn't necessarily make the car pull to one side (in my experience anyway).

P.S. did you fit the bushes yourself?

Its not an Astra vxr eyy maytee...

I had this on my Arosa at 1 point, turned out to be a ever so slightly bent track rod. Most likely from hitting a pothole.

As it happens I have recently hit a pothole (or possibly the enterance to a mine, given the size of it)

Why would a bent track rod only show itself under acceleration though?

Sorry if you're already said, but have you checked both tyre pressures are the same? Tyres a matched pair? What about camber, is it the same both sides?

Normally if just the tracking is out it puts the steering wheel wonky or wears the tyres unevenly, it doesn't necessarily make the car pull to one side (in my experience anyway).

P.S. did you fit the bushes yourself?

No, fitted by a garage, to rule out the probability of me doing anything wrong!

Pressures ok, tyres are matched on each axle, but not front to rear (I bought the wheels with the tyres on) Camber is the same to my untrained eye

I would get full four wheel alignment done.

(Yes I know nothing can be adjusted on the rear!, but worth checking!)

Going to try and find somewhere to do it after work tomorrow, wish me luck!

Have you checked everything attached to the new wishbones is tight?

Yeah, they are fitted right.

As it happens I have recently hit a pothole (or possibly the enterance to a mine, given the size of it)

Why would a bent track rod only show itself under acceleration though?

I have this. From not concentrating and bashing the left side of my car on potholes, and man hole covers etc. Went to tracking place and guy said the whole front left subframe area of the car has been pushed back.

I have a spare subframe but I don't see the point in putting it on to do the same damage.

Pulls to the left pretty violently. Makes driving that more interesting.