Alfa transfer from Fiat to VW?

Fow Vay

Interesting article in the business section of today's Sunday Times.

Apparently, Alfa workers are urging Ferdinand Piech (VW head honcho) to buy Alfa from Fiat. It goes on to say they've been standing outside the German consulate in Milan chanting: "We want Volkswagen."

Piech responded to queries about whether he wanted to buy Alfa by saying: "Thirteen was always my lucky number." Alfa would be VW's thirteenth brand if acquired by Wolfsburg.

Stefan Bratzel of the centre for automotive management in Germany is quoted as saying: "Under Fiat, Alfas' reputation as sports cars has been eroded through shared parts, uniform platforms and terrible engines. Alfas today have little in common with the old marque."

I don't think shared parts or uniform platforms would change under VW, but terrible engines would go. However, would Alfas lose what remaining 'soul' they have in returned for improved build quality and reliability?

I must admit, I quite fancy a Mito but the reliability issue (if there is one - although I did see two people poking about under the bonnet of a 59 plate Mito the other evening and they didn't seem too happy) would probably deter me.

My boss has a Mito and its awesome. Interior is such a nice place to be. It does seem to like going back home (to the garage it came from :lol:) but still a nice car none the less. I think if you buy an Alfa you half expect it to break down so its not really a huge surprise when it does. Even if the car has less than 2,000 miles on the clock :blink:

ferrari were also being looked at by vw as fiat were looking to sell the shares they have.and ferrari were keen.

Whatever VW buy, it will end up sharing platforms and whatnot with the rest of the marques it already owns, unless it is significantly upmarket enough that it has to remain 'alone'. If they buy Alfa, I can see it will be the nail in the coffin for their involvement with Seat.

Edited by IDGM

Is Volkswagen Chairman Ferdinand Piech eyeing Ferrari as the next acquisition to add to VW group's collection of brands? Some in the German press think so.

Piech has already said openly that he would like VW to buy Fiat's Alfa Romeo marque -- but the "real object of his desire," is Ferrari, Manager Magazin says in its current issue.

VW already has plenty of sporty brands. It is merging Porsche into its portfolio and owns Lamborghini, the Italian super car maker. In 1998, VW bought the rights to the Bugatti marque, supposedly after Piech's son was thrilled at seeing a vintage miniature Bugatti in a toy shop.

With a cash pile of 19.6 billion euros ($27 billion), VW can easily afford Ferrari, Fiat's most profitable brand, which financial analysts value at between 2.3 billion and 3.5 billion billion euros.

Fiat may sell shares in Ferrari in an initial public offering while retaining a 51 percent stake. That could open the door to Piech. Some industry watchers say the 73-year-old would be happy even with a minimum stake in Ferrari

As great as VW are, I really don't like the idea of them owning absolutely everything. It leaves very little room for any innovation within brands. Where exactly would Ferrari fit in when they already own Lamborghini, Porsche and Bugatti and have Audi making a mid engined supercar? OK, at the moment, Piech seems to like letting the brands manage themselves, but that's not to say the next chairman or indeed shareholders want it in the future. I'd rather VW stick with what they have and let Ferrari etc get on with things in their own way!

• 2 weeks later...

As great as VW are, I really don't like the idea of them owning absolutely everything. It leaves very little room for any innovation within brands. Where exactly would Ferrari fit in when they already own Lamborghini, Porsche and Bugatti and have Audi making a mid engined supercar? OK, at the moment, Piech seems to like letting the brands manage themselves, but that's not to say the next chairman or indeed shareholders want it in the future. I'd rather VW stick with what they have and let Ferrari etc get on with things in their own way!

That's just what I was thinking tbh. Rather than going round buying more brands, designing more cars would be a better use of the money imo.

Back in the early 80's, my uncle had an Alfetta.

Brilliant with it's finely balance RWD chassis and, as far as I recall, totally reliable.

He only got rid of it when he went to work for Royal Ordnance, the company cars were Rover 820s :paperbag: