Wipers stop in random positions

Hello,

I just bought myself a 1999 Lupo 1.7 SDI and it has a few minor problems, most of which I've managed to solve with the help of these forums, thanks guys! I still have one irritating problem though. My wipers work perfectly but they rarely stop back where they should, usually they stop vertically but its totally random.

I've had a look at all of the fuses under the dash and none of them seem to be blown, could it be a relay or maybe the wiper motor at fault?

On a side note, does anyone run vegetable oil in their SDI?

Thanks

Sounds silly but have you check the arms are tightend up? Using the wipers to move snow off of the windscreen could have easily done this.

Failing that, id say if they tend to stop in random places more when you have your lights on then it could be one of the arms on the motor thats seized up. This happened to me last year and when the lights were on the wipers would just stop because the motor was needing so much extra juice to pump the things round

Hope this is some help to you

Sam

My rear wiper works great now that I reconnected the pipe for the washer jet :) I've had a look and the wipers aren't loose and I doubt its the battery because being a diesel the battery is quite beefy. I was talking to a VW mechanic today and he thinks it could be the relay, I'll see how much one is and give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestions.

My rear wiper is proper random. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes its jumpy, sometimes it doesn't turn off. Stupid thing!

Yup, mine too. Bloody annoying tho! Also the washer pipe decided to crack and dump a load of washer fluid into my casing on the boot...Fun!

If all else fails mate, try replacing the stalk!