engine managment light

• 1 month later...

Emission light

I have a '99 1.4E Lupo and the engine management light doesn't come on when I turn on the ignition. I suspected the previous owner had nobbled it to hide a problem but can't see any signs that the instruments have been tampered with or any wiring has been cut.

Is it possible that early cars didn't have it as they're not OBDII compliant? One of the (many) requirements of OBDII is a bulb check at key-on.

I know my car doesn't have an EPC light as it's a cable throttle (AHW engine) and it has the diagnostic plug behind the lower cubby not behind the ashtray.

So....those of you with no light, are your cars 1999/2000?

Anyone with a definative answer to this? It would put my suspicious mind at rest :)

I have a '99 1.4E Lupo and the engine management light doesn't come on when I turn on the ignition. I suspected the previous owner had nobbled it to hide a problem but can't see any signs that the instruments have been tampered with or any wiring has been cut.

Is it possible that early cars didn't have it as they're not OBDII compliant? One of the (many) requirements of OBDII is a bulb check at key-on.

I know my car doesn't have an EPC light as it's a cable throttle (AHW engine) and it has the diagnostic plug behind the lower cubby not behind the ashtray.

So....those of you with no light, are your cars 1999/2000?

Anyone with a definative answer to this? It would put my suspicious mind at rest :)

My 2000 1.4S had a AHW engine, and cable throttle body and that definitely had an EPC light when I turned the ignition light on. It also had OBDII as far as I'm aware as the connector looked identical to the one that I have in my GTI

Edited by NOCK

I read that maybe the bulbs could have burned out where they have been egnored. I rang up vw but they had no idea would a vag com bring up if the bulb has gone?

They're surface mount LEDs so can't be removed without cutting them off the PCB and it's very unlikely they would burn out. I've checked the LEDs are there on my car. As far as I can tell, the 32-pin green connector on the back of the instrument pack doesn't have a wire for the EPC light but I haven't figured out the wiring for the engine management light.

Anyone have a curcuit diagram covering the instrument pack for a pre-2001 car? The one I have is for Dec 2000 on.

Please let me know if you find out anything I'm crap with the electrical side of things. Does ur car have any trouble connecting to a scanner

I have a generic ScanTool at work but haven't tried yet. If that fails I will borrow a VAG tool and try that.

I don't know if there are any fuses or relays which is why I'm keen to get hold of a circuit diagram. I wouldn't expect there to be though. It is likely the LED shares a common power supply with other bits of the instrument pack and the ground is controlled by the ECU. I'll test this when I get time.

• 1 month later...

Well, the Scantool didn't work on my car but that's not too surprising.

VCDS/VAGcom showed no fault codes on any module, including the instrument pack. I ran the 'output test' on the instruments and the MIL light is not tested so I can only conclude that it's not active on my car. I expect the same's true of all pre-2000 cars. My next job is to get hold of the right circuit diagram, then I'll know for sure.

The EPC light is definitely not active on cars with a cable throttle body.

Edited by kabman

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem- but it's not the EPC light not coming on it's the airbag light. No signs of tampering with the clocks either. VCDS shows no fault either with bulb. Mystery!