Lupo GTI - Bad Low.

Kent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like this. :)

Thanks mate, still keeping an eye out on yours too. :thumbsup:

I've just got the car back from being painted, decided to buy a Polo 6R boot from a scrapyard without even thinking it through. It came and the handle seemed much bigger than I expected for some reason.. fast forward a month of it sitting there and it's in.

14017576964_0895fe38df_c.jpg/ by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

14037119723_7732dea5e1_c.jpg/ by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

13994002376_ecb4e417b0_c.jpg/ by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

14017578744_02daa0c59f_c.jpg/ by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

14037123633_7845fde95d_c.jpg/ by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

13994003886_1953b1da6f_c.jpg/ by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

So it's in and I love it, I was worried it was going to look too big but without the handle (which had slightly corroded as they all do) and the old badge recess, I'm happy. Think placement is spot on as couldn't work out where it would look best at first when we were talking about it. And to be fair, he's done a quality job.. I was worried I'd see a distortion in the reflection where the welds were but, it's all good.

It's a lot of work for what it is, but really happy with it. Just got to get a few other bits I've left with painted and fitted and decide what to do with wheels & interior, but happy for now at least.

Few more..

14024327914_e2918cf792_c.jpgPolo 6R handle. by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

13999930766_2eafa6cece_c.jpg// by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

• Like 1

i saw the post the other night and couldnt figure out what handle it was, looks really good!!! top work tbh!! excited to see whats next

Is it hard to fit the mechanism in the door, or better yet, what changes in the mechanism?

The mechanism for the handle is all one piece. The only problem is that it's electric operated and the standard lupo handle is mechanical so you need to wire in a popper to pull the latch when you press the badge.

Good work! This has made me want my mk5 handle working again, ain't worked since last November :lol:

Love it mate! That looks a real top job and they've got the shape on the boot spot on. The best thing with the 6r handle is no one knows what it is - they either don't notice at all or think it's a mk5.

i saw the post the other night and couldnt figure out what handle it was, looks really good!!! top work tbh!! excited to see whats next

look at you go! looks good man! i wouldnt have had it quite as recessed as this, but looks really tidy!

Thanks a lot for the comments guys. I was originally just gonna have the boot re-painted but thought why not. He's done a really good job to be honest, I did expect to have some blemishes or distortions so I'm happy how well it's turned out.

And yeah, Huw nobody will really notice I doubt, it does look like it's just the handle smoothed with the VW emblem stick on badge. :innocent: I was looking at the mk5 handle but didn't like how much it protruding out, didn't quite think it worked on a Lupo, saying that I don't even like them on a Golf haha.

At the moment, I'm happy with how the car is... it's crazy to think I've had it 4 years now, I think. Never thought I'd take it this far but for the moment, I'm just happy driving it as it's still my daily, and I don't even think I'd want to change that. Sucks through the winter, but summer months I love it, especially with the audio. :Angel:

14076074813_47c60895f5_c.jpgUntitled by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

Looks really great, one of the best here looks-wise! I really miss driving mine, hopefully I'll get the tail Mazda MX-5'd soon ;)

Saw this in the flesh today and the pictures do not do it justice! Such a nice car!

Good work the tailgate looks awesome bro :)

Cheers guys,

it still needs to just get that little bit lower. I think I'm going to try a different tyre size to get the drivers rear to match passenger side as it pokes a little more so sits on the tyre due to the beam. I've still got the set of 16" BBS RS barrel & faces sat in the garage so need to decide whether to work sizes out for them or shift them on.

Car's going back to the bodyshop next week, due to taking the last lock barrel out of the boot as I'd de-locked the door handles.. we've decided to put the drivers door lock back in but keep with the smoothed cap by cutting the actual barrel itself down by half an inch & fitting the cap back over. I also managed to find a heated/electric drivers side stubby mirror with brand new glass from a left hand drive GTI which was pretty lucky, so that's being painted up & a few more touch ups here and there.

Few recents:

14093506961_3c09af3885_b.jpg/\/\/\/ by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

13910133908_bfc4a7df13_b.jpg/\/\/\/ by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

14145033814_c38991332e_b.jpg@ SlamMedia meet. by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

Oh and bought this off Ben.

13952897189_b75be78018_b.jpgWheel by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

Decided I'm going to properly sort the interior next.. just can't decide on seats. Weighing up between Recaro Pole Positions, Recaro CS's or Mk6 Golf Tartan Recaro's but will be re-trimmed. I was set on CS's last year, but worried they're a little too high for the Lupo and there's a few people with them now.. decisions.

• Like 1

Mmmm looking lovely Ross!

Interior depends on the direction you want to take, I love pole positions but they do cry out race car which I don't think is the direction this car is going. CS's are a little over done. OEM+ goodness, MK6 interior all the way for me. In my opinion of course :)

Alex

Mmmm looking lovely Ross!

Interior depends on the direction you want to take, I love pole positions but they do cry out race car which I don't think is the direction this car is going. CS's are a little over done. OEM+ goodness, MK6 interior all the way for me. In my opinion of course :)

Alex

Cheers mate, I was all for Mk6 tartans.. especially being a fraction of the price of a pair of CS's so could have had them retrimmed. :yes: My only thought is, they look like they need rear seats if that makes sense? Like they need backs or something, maybe I'm just being fussy but not sure they'd look right. I look around and find myself going back to CS's...... but again, they've been done to death. :ninja:

I seem to find myself choosing on the basis of what other people haven't done rather than what I actually seem to want...

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers both, can't decide on seats so it'll probably be a while till I get anything else in.

Anyway, the boot handle is all wired in now & working as it should.. pretty happy with it as was thinking it would have to be operated by a button to the popper at first.

And also, the wheel's in & wired in properly to the airbag etc. It feels so much different to the Lupo one & love the flat bottom grip on the motorway haha, so comfy.

OH, and I've just had a stubby electric/heated drivers side mirror which took ages to find painted up and that's on too now.. no pictures of it but it looks the same as before just matches as always bugged me that it didn't.... :shifty:

14007214029_bb0d3aa1ee_b.jpgLOOP by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

14192018892_2c02ac9887_b.jpgUntitled by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

14242527326_165e36575a_b.jpgUntitled by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cheers both,

Again just putting a few photos up, been awful this year for shows/meets.. think I've made 1 in my car, awful.

14336512632_19e227d052_c.jpgUntitled by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

14315038386_9c58eafe3f_c.jpgUntitled by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

oh and finally, arch has met dish

14699976034_969241e9f1_c.jpgUntitled by Ross Mullins, on Flickr

wish I had something exciting to post but trying not to spend £ on the car

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...