Oil Breather Pipes...What have you done with yours?

LaydeeNina

So you want to change your air filter to a performance one, but the oil breather pipe goes into the air box.

What do you do with it?

I removed my oem air box and replaced it with a k&n (not a panel one) and then decided to put a small breather air filter on the breather pipe...

but it keeps seeping out oil, which drips all over my air intake and smells like burning after I have driven the car.

I would really like to solve this issue, so what have you done with yours?

Oil catcher tanks seem to be a good idea but that doesn't stop the amount of oil dripping out of the pipe. Should i just get a panel filter instead?

Also what is the pipe/tube that comes off the manifold and connects to the air induction pipe? the way i see it, its taking hot air from the manifold and putting it into the cold air feed....so i removed it!

Its a sport btw so gti's may not have it.

Just get a connector and some pipe to extend the breather hose and just plumb it into your new filter, then the engine will process it as normal.

As for the pipe on the manifold, that is just to help the engine to warm up when you start. it has a valve inside which switches to the cold air when the car starts to demand more. It is not necessary, and actually makes the cart less efficient at low revs.

59413_428057088541_756508541_5073070_1151352_n.jpg

I assume your filter may be something like mine, but you can see how the pipe is extended and bored into the hose.

Just get a connector and some pipe to extend the breather hose and just plumb it into your new filter, then the engine will process it as normal.

As for the pipe on the manifold, that is just to help the engine to warm up when you start. it has a valve inside which switches to the cold air when the car starts to demand more. It is not necessary, and actually makes the cart less efficient at low revs.

I assume your filter may be something like mine, but you can see how the pipe is extended and bored into the hose.

Yes that looks exactly like what I have, i shall get my boyfriend to try it over the weekend with some pipe (he has loads of pipe knocking around from his octavia rs), that looks like it will completely solve the issue. Or failing that a catcher tank like James said. B)

Thanks people, I don't know what i'd do without CL =)

Think is Nina's car is breathing a fair amount of oil typical of 1.4 engines. You don't want all that crap going back through the throttle body.

Think is Nina's car is breathing a fair amount of oil typical of 1.4 engines. You don't want all that crap going back through the throttle body.

Yeah it is James, you're right. It burns a lot more oil than it should really, I have to top it up once every 3 months. I think i'm going to buy a catcher tank off ebay...oh and I bought a new wing today =) just need to get a bumper and grill panel!!

The thing is that the ecu is tuned with the engine to accomodate for oil fumes, the oil also lubricates the throttle body, and the engine can often develop a lambda sensor warning light if the oil does not run through the engine as the emmission levels change. This in turn has no actual effect on the car, but is incredibly annoying to see on the dash the whole time. Also it is the only way to eliminate the fumes, as even with a catch tank you still smell the oil.

The thing is that the ecu is tuned with the engine to accomodate for oil fumes, the oil also lubricates the throttle body, and the engine can often develop a lambda sensor warning light if the oil does not run through the engine as the emmission levels change. This in turn has no actual effect on the car, but is incredibly annoying to see on the dash the whole time. Also it is the only way to eliminate the fumes, as even with a catch tank you still smell the oil.

Well my o2 sensors do need replacing...do you think it is related with this then?

Well my o2 sensors do need replacing...do you think it is related with this then?

i would imagine that you experienced the warning light within a few weeks of removing the breather from the air intake, they probably dont actually need replacing, they just want oil in the engine, but they make no difference to engine performance. I had a polo before with the same engine and didnt feed the oil to the engine, sure enough, this light came up, and the polo was written off before i could right this, but now with my lupo, i have fed it to the engine as above, and no warning light, just a much better throttle response and a beautiful induction noise.

Just try plumbing the oil back to the engine again, cheaper than a catch tank, and better for the engine unless you have the ecu remapped to accomodate the change in lambda sensor levels and lack of oil fumes in the intake.

Alos you dont get the splitting headaches u get from the oil :wacko:

But oil doesn't burn as cleanly as petrol does,so it will clog things up inside, and won't help fuel economy. The throttle body should have sealed bearings, that oilly crud makes a right mess of the throttle body

I can't smell oil with my catch tank, i have it linked back to the inlet though.

So basically if i get a catch tank i have the breather going in then the tube that comes off the catch tank should be fed back into the inlet?? So that way the oil gets burnt up and it doesnt leak? Will any of this affect my performance...ie make it quicker? Could I not just extend the pipe and feed it back into the filter like BEP51 did?

Im going to get my boyfriend to read this thread aswell as I'm not completely in the know when it comes to car engines (plus he'll be the one doing the work LOL)

catchtank.jpg

Here is a picture of my boyfriends catch tank it's probably different to the one i need for the lupo as this is for his octavia RS but where do all the tubes go??

Here's a pic of my catch tank setup

were the oe breather would plumb into the oe air box its now routed to the catch tank also ive added a secound line back into the inlet you will require a custom pipe or a silicone 90deg bend with a spout this keeps the oil vapours circulate round the system.

IMG00953-20100830-1432.jpg

were the oe breather would plumb into the oe air box its now routed to the catch tank also ive added a secound line back into the inlet you will require a custom pipe or a silicone 90deg bend with a spout this keeps the oil vapours circulate round the system.

seen your layout before and commented that all yours will do is clog your filter with whatever fumes go thru the catch tank.

surely a fabric filter must just soak up the oil? that would be why you wouldnt get anything in the intake, it would be best to put the pipe from the catch tank the other side of the filter, or u will have the filter clog and reduce airflow.

• 3 months later...

Right im resurrecting this, ive just bought a bmc cda. I imagine some of you have had the bmc on for ages so any revised review on whats the best way to do this? Is it not just satisfactory to put an oil breather filter on the pipe? If its not getting run back into the induction will my lambdas find a fault?

If u just stick a filter on the end of the pipe, it will work fine, no problems, but u will get headaches breathing it in while sat in traffic. Also u may have the lambda sensor light come on, but varies with different cars.

Best way is like this, u just need to find a bit of extension hose and a joiner that goes into the throttle body pipe, hard to find on ebay though, cant remember exactly what they are called.

bmcl.jpg

some people suggest to put the breather before the filter, which logically just means that u end up clogging your filter with oil fumes. the engine always had the breather going into the throttle the throttle side of the filter, so surely it is best to keep it that way?

Edited by BEP51

seems like a lot of effort in vain...

oil return should be AFTER the filter... all your doing is clogging the filter up with an oil residue left over from the catch tank (and there will be some)

I looked into this thoroughly when i done mine...

and came up with the answer the best solution was just as VW intended... re-routed back into the Throttle Body without a catch tank... i just clean my TB every 10k

heres my pics of what i have done, kept hose black to look OEM... best i've seen tbh

c33005f6.jpg

43e8c63d.jpg

88515a01.jpg