crapy vista eating my memory!

Physical memory (MB)

TOTAL - 3326

cached - 2308

free 9

quite often its hitting 0 free! its doing my head in as when i listen to music or media its juddering! the pc is running 4gb of memory but its only able to use 3gb of it! its sitting idle with about 1.31gb of memory being used with just the pc sitting idle which is saying as 40%! what the sodding hell!! its a mix of windows crap and ASUS power management thats killing it!

anyone else having problems

I have a HP desktop with 64bit dual core, 2 gb Ram and Vista home basic.

****e.

I don't know how much better 7 is, but XP was never this bad for speed.

Linux calls I think.

I have windows 7 on my machines - runs really smooth, i one thing i have found out is windows 7 is better on ram management even on a lower grade pc for example

Mine - Custom built

2.5ghz quad core

4gb of ram

1gb ddr3 graphics card

500gb hard drive

Lower grade machine with windows 7

2.7ghz dual core

1gb of ram

250gb hard drive

Vista's a memory hog, pure and simple. 7 will use less memory and will appear to run faster too. You'll be running the 32bit version of vista, which is why you can't access the full 4gb of memory, if you run a 64bit version it'll let you access all 4gb.

Either upgrade to 7, or downgrade to XP, but flush vista away like the turd it is.

I used Vista for ages, had no problems with it. And to be fair I did use it for more than the average PC User as I was part way through a Computer Science degree. I found it a good idea to turn off some of the start-up programs that liked to run through msconfig.exe and to turn off UAC. I found that Kaspersky was less RAM hungry than McAfee too. The spec of my machine that ran Vista effortlessly.

If you are using 1.3 Gb of ram at idle then you have way too much running in the background. Unnecessary programs or, dare I say it, viruses?

I must say though that Windows 7 64-bit is better :)

Craig, I am running Visa SP2 32bit on my notebook.

Intel Core2 Duo T7250 @2GHz

4gb Ram

Runs pretty good and smooth with hardly any issues.

As above I would check for rogue processes in the task manager\resource manager.

Vista's a memory hog, pure and simple. 7 will use less memory and will appear to run faster too. You'll be running the 32bit version of vista, which is why you can't access the full 4gb of memory, if you run a 64bit version it'll let you access all 4gb.

Either upgrade to 7, or downgrade to XP, but flush vista away like the turd it is.

yeah i knew about the 32bit processor only having a certain amount of addressing possible and apparently it can address 4gb worth of memory but it will use some of that for mapping the memory on the graphics card so if your running 512mb of memory on the graphics card and 4gb of memory it can only address 512mb on the graphics card and only 3584mb of the RAM .i really am getting sick of the amount of memory being chewed up by everything, VISTA seems to think that to run fast it needs to have everything cached so its ready to go but its burning up memory doing so unnecessarily when half the programs i dont want or need, where as a Mac runs faster because it only loads what it need to load to boot up and then freeing up resources in order to run faster.

Craig, I am running Visa SP2 32bit on my notebook.

Intel Core2 Duo T7250 @2GHz

4gb Ram

Runs pretty good and smooth with hardly any issues.

As above I would check for rogue processes in the task manager\resource manager.

im just about to do that, ASUS power management for the motherboard seems to also be burning alot as well but apparently from what i have read there is no bypass in switching it off :( f*cking eco wariors!

update - when my computer is first started up for the first 5/10mins its running over 2000 hard faults per sec on an MsMpEng.exe and then that program is also running alot of memory. Also my hard drive activity keeps on spiking.

i have found that this file is part of windows defender scanning of directories and can cause problems, however it does not exlain why my computer is constantly battering the hard drive for data and not using its RAM... and when i say that, im looking at the resource monitor and the disc graph keeps on bouncing off the top of the chart spiking quite rapidly and no real adjustments in memory usage..

Turn off indexing. That could well be why its hammering you hdd. Indexing on vista is the most useless thing ever.

Well to be fair the search function on any windows OS is the most useless thing ever.

Try Locate32 if you need to search files

Edited by Unheard

ive went through indexing and disabled a few things so will need to try it at that and work away one at a time disabling things untill its sorted

If you're not too bothered about it looking pretty, you could always go 'Computer-->Advanced System Settings-->Performance-->Adjust for best performance'

Of course this would only be masking the problem, but it might be useful to change to this mode whilst trying to sort out your other issues if nothing else.

good point batman, worst case i shall give that a bash.

was going to try and see if it still did it in safe mode as well to see with the computer stripped back to basic drivers if it still juddered

If you're already using another antivirus program, turn off windows defender completely? Or get it to turn off it's realtime system scanning.

i used to have computer associates antivirus as my dad had a subscription for several pcs however he didnt bother renewing it so im now landed with defender :(

'The works' (high street book store) have had Kaspersky Internet Security 3-user version for £9 for ages now. Well worth it, I use it and personally think that it is a million times better then Norton and McAfee.

McAfee is pretty crap, even the Enterprise Edition which we have at work. It let's virus' through. We always check with Avira Free and it hasn't missed one yet.

I have Avira Premium on my home pc\notebook. seems pretty OK to me, but then I'm not the visiting the dodgiest of websites.

AVG gets good write ups for the free version, but I found was geting pretty invasive and when it stopped my PC from booting due to an update problem; Uninstall!

We've had untold problems with AVG 9 at work. PC either refuse to boot or just crash, so we have had to back track to 8.? for cool runnings.

I'm using Avast on my work PC though as I refused to go through all that crap again. So far I've not been robbed.

we use avira workstation at work, rolled out to approx 2500 computers mebbe, it's fairly good at getting stuff, and a lot lighter weight than symantec that we used to use. They also have a free version for standalone home use.

umm.... i have a confession to make....

.... after several days of fighting with this computer, i found trace elements of the old antivirus in the system tray and i removed that and removed iTunes because apple is the work of the devil, and the juddering has stopped at the moment......