T350 or S1 Exige?

MattyB

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I was buying I would be sticking to around the 20k mark and looking for a minter with low miles. The black one has hardly any miles on it. I would rather a low mint car than a modded 25000 miler. You will be more than happy with it! It's a great great car out the box! I doubt you will lose much on it. when you say tumble! How can one of these tumble when it's only £20k. Thats not big money for people interested in these.

Yes the geo was dangerously out. I had no tread on the back tires and hit some water at 95 on the motorway... the side to side motion all most had me in the crash barriers. It was only then I had a look at the rear tyres and although evenly worn had no tread left... I replaced them 5 months ago.

I have a 5k limit, so looking at Seat Ibiza 1.4, Pug 207, fiesta etc.... I want low miles cheap to run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news matty.... I look forward to seeing it... I am guessing its black?

Great news matty.... I look forward to seeing it... I am guessing its black?

Couldn't find a black one, they're very, very rare. Its "Quartz", which is basically silver. Not my first choice, but when these cars sell within a few days of going on sale, you can't be picky. Suppose I could always wrap it. Quick picture:

exige%20s1%20silver%20002.jpg

Looks great... actually thats a really nice angle of the car.... so whats the spec then?

thumbs up on the colour

It is Paul Matty's, been there before I take it?

Its pretty standard, running the 192bhp spec as most are, unfortunately its only got the leather seats, rather than the Motorsport ones (as they're £1900 from Lotus) and the previous owner fitted a reversing camera, which is handy as rear visibility is poo. Its also got air-con, but the systems is heavy, and crap when it works (which isn't often). Most owners remove it.

There was absolutely no good reason to buy an S1 over an S2, but mine was parked next to the S2 Exige they had in the showroom, and the S2 just dissapeared - the S1 just looks so right in terms of proportion, aggression and purpose that you can't help but overlook its lack of practicality. Love looking through the glass to see the engine ... even if it is just K-series ;)

Will be great to get back into RWD again - I managed to get insurance that covers trackdays, so that should be fun...

Edit - the wheels on all Exiges are black, but the previous owner had them refurbed in Silver, looks better than I thought it would.

Wheel wise i would have went for something inbetween the silver and black, but what a stunning car , major jealous thumbs up.

So what are the plans for it then matty? does it have any seat belt harnesses?

I like the silver wheels.

Its got harnesses already. Anything other than maintenence will be spent on driver training and trackdays, certainly initially. Mods wise, I'd like to get some S1/S2 Exige Sports seats (to maintain the OEM look), get an Emerald/DVA remap (improved drivability, more power) and a set of Nitrons to replace what will now be fairly worn suspension.

Problem is that each of those comes in at £1000-1500, so none of them will be done anytime soon!

It'll be a second car, problem is that its currently on A048's, which are basically cut slicks. Great in the summer, when its dry, a little bit tricky in the wet winter (and downright dangerous with standing water). Might look at fitting some winter tyres...

Awesome car Matty, looks in superb condition too from the photos. I prefer the wheels in silver myself, though I don't like black wheels on any car.

I bet it will be such an occasion to drive, you are in for some good times.

Edit to add:

I also prefer the quartz silver to the new aluminium colour. My first choice would be titanium but when the cars sell as quickly as they do you have to 'grab' the first good one you come accross. The larger black diffuser on the new aluminium car looks nice, the diffusers look more purposeful in black I think.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

What a shit day to collect! I pick it up on the first day of the year we have snow!

No driving impressions, as I drove home like a granny, A038's in the snow = twitchy. This car is about as subtle as a punch to the face, so it generated alot of attention when I pulled onto the forecourt for fuel....which was also a bad time to stall it. :blush: Plenty of (expensive) jobs on the to do list, and a few cheapo ones too. Shame the weathers crap for the next couple of weeks, I doubt it'll move much till it clears up.

Its loud. And brash.

Oh, and as long as the weather isn't TOO bad, I'll be bring it to the Midland Breakfast club in a couple of weeks if you're going Darren?

Exige1.jpg

The only thing I'm not sure on is the silver windscreen visor... Other than that it looks great

Pretty much the worst weather of the year to be driving an Exige on A048's...and it is too cold to even spend time cleaning it and doing a few small jobs.

Next breakfast club is the 12th December, I will be up in Yorkshire that weekend so wont make breakfast. Pretty sure if you go in the Exige you will be surrounded all morning and have plenty of company to chat to though, I think the S1 Exige draws a crowd like a few other ledgendary Lotus, the Cortina, the 340R, the late Esprit's and the Carlton.

That Silver visor is coming off, I don't like it either, being replaced.

Darren, its certainly not a subtle car, as I found out when I pulled onto the petrol station - if they don't see it first they hear it. Currently looking at getting some better tyres, winter ones are hard to get hold of, so I might track down some all-season tyres, can get T1R's for £280.

That's mega! Years ago there used to be a black s1 exige in redcar near where I live, the noise it made was hellish, never heard a 4 pot like it, so I can see where you're coming from with the sound.

It just looks like a baby GT racer. I want one.