temp gauge problem

hiya, picked up the lupo yesterday and the temp gauge is faulty. It will go up to temp (just below half way) then suddenly it could drop straight down to zero, then about 15-20 mins later it could go back up to the right level again, very strange!

when i viewed the car the battery light was constantly on throughtout the test drive, and yesterday when we went to pick it up he told me he had the alternator replaced and so fixed the battery light problem.

Was wondering if maybe the garage that fitted it might have knocked a connector/wire inside the engine bay.

has anybody got any diagrams/pics to show me where this connector would be?

cheers

shocky

• 2 weeks later...

hiya again, just out of curiousity, when the the engine fan kick in? does it stay on all the time or only when the temp gauge has reached temp, as mine doesnt seem to be working atm, dunno whether its a loose connection somewhere or a fuse, i tried the connector for the fan and its in properly, any other ideas guys & gals?

hiya again, just out of curiousity, when the the engine fan kick in? does it stay on all the time or only when the temp gauge has reached temp, as mine doesnt seem to be working atm, dunno whether its a loose connection somewhere or a fuse, i tried the connector for the fan and its in properly, any other ideas guys & gals?

It shouldnt come on til the temp goes over a certain threshold - not that it wont correspond with the temp guage, as this is dampened so stays at 90 as long as the temp stays within a set range (85 - 101 or something)

I would expect it to come on at about 99

Mine only ever comes on when idling in traffic

• 1 month later...

It shouldnt come on til the temp goes over a certain threshold - not that it wont correspond with the temp guage, as this is dampened so stays at 90 as long as the temp stays within a set range (85 - 101 or something)

I would expect it to come on at about 99

Mine only ever comes on when idling in traffic

Does the car run badly? I have a problem with min, temp up and down, and the diagnostic machine shows nothing, runs terribly, today I could not even get out of my house up the bank! getting nowhere with it, thinking of scrapping it...

TCS, when the temp sensor on my sport was playing up I did notice reduced performance, this went when I replaced the temp sensor, however I also put new NGK plugs in (replaced non-NGKs) so I dont know which made the difference

hey hey, only started driving it again the other day, as been worried about driving it, and also leaving it stood still for too long, wanted to take it for a quick drive, blow the cobwebs out etc lol. ive noticed no loss in power or performance tbh mate, and also the temp sensor has been working correctly and staying at the correct temp ( just below half way i believe).