Polo Gti tuning

Bengti

Hi all,

I am looking to tune my polo gti 1.6 (6n2). I tampered with tuning my old 1.9 turbo diesel with fairly good results. But n/a petrol’s are a completely different game.

I am a member of club polo but they mainly do the older polos and they said I should come over here as you have more experience this tuning these engines.

My plan is:

KW Coilovers – from Awesome gti

BMC induction kit – from Awesome gti

Milltek sports cat and free flow exhaust. The resonated one. I think that’s the quieter one? - Amd in Essex.

The standard 4 branch mani looks fine so I think I will leave that, unless you guys think that should be changed?

Now for the most confusing part CAMs. I have read on here that ‘Schrick’ are the best but I have no idea what I am looking for, where to buy them or where to get them fitted. Also what kind of bhp will these help produce? Suggestions please?

Remap the ECU. Can I do this on the standard one or will it need changing?

If so what ecu would I use and where would I get one?

In terms or prices:

KWs: £650

BMC: £180

Milltek: £400

CAMs: ???

Remap: £250

Total: £1480

I can get the BMC and the KW’s second hand I will. This will hopefully bring the cost down a little.

I am looking to get this car to about 150-160 bhp. So I am looking for a whopping extra 25-35 bhp. Is it even possible using the list above?

Thank you very much for your time,

Cheers,

Ben

With regards to the cams, plan the cost of doing a cambelt change at the same time as the cams are built into the cam carrier which some think is just a cam cover, and all belts have to come off for the conversion.

I would also put money on the side for the gearbox, as the Polo GTI 5 speed boxes are prones to breaking from 40k miles onwards, unless your one has recently been rebuilt.

One of the reason why I went for the Lupo GTI 6 speed in the end

Lots on info on everything with the search feature top right :)

That's a pain. I had my belts and water pump done in March this year. So I think I will leave the cams for awhile.

How often should you do the belts is its every 30k?

In regards to the cams, do you know what sizes/types I should get and where I should get them from?

The gear box is worrying me because everyone goes on about it. The car has done 115k and I don’t know whether it’s been changed or reconed. But on the plus side it doesn’t make any noise and changes gear smoothly. So fingers crossed someone had it reconed and lost the paper work.

How close to the 150bhp do think I can get with out doing the cams?

I have been using the search but trying to find out about each item is hurting my eyes lol.

Thank you for your help,

Cheers,

Edited by Bengti

Personally id,

BMC (or decent panel filter with a different cold air intake)

Raceland Manifold,

Full stainless system,

Remap,

All of the above would come to no more than 1k, and should see you close to 150bhp.

Rich.

Edited by little rich

Yeah I think your right.

There I will fin out from Raceland whether there manis have a place for the lamber senser and whether they can fit.

Do you know anyone else that has done the above and got rr results?

Cheers,

Where did you get the price for the cams?

I think I am going to leave the cams for now. I have only just replaced my belts and water pump.

The mani's is an interesting one.

There seems to be 2 types 4-2-1 and 4-1.

The slandered mani is 4-1 so when going for better performance which do people feel the most benefits with 4-2-1 or 4-1?

Cheers,

Edited by Bengti

I haven't seen cams that work with the avy engines vvt yet... Does the polo Gti engine have vvt?? I'm not actually sure.

Ben - there is nothing wrong with the raceland, it provides the same gains as a manifold which is 4 times the price. If it is wrapped and installed correctly there is no reason why it should fail.

the polo gti does have vvt, my cams were £550 from polo performance schrick i got

Little rich: with your current mods can you really feel the difference behind the wheel?

I see why a raceland wouldn’t work its just 4 pipes going into 1 at the end of the day.

Mitchell: I think you maybe the only guy who has done this. So with the cams in place have you had the car remaped yet? How does the car drive now can you feel a strong difference between the new cams and the old ones? Have you got a polo gti or the Lupo?

Cheers,

sorry my car is a 1600 gti block with a 1400 polo afh 16v head actually dug out my cam price was £615 im running stand alone management with jenveys

So yeah, I still haven't seen a set if cams for the gti head yet. And believe me ive seen what a pain they are to fit with the double pulley arrangement, non of this forum based mechanic crap.

Tbh, I don't know what your on about with seing the problem with the raceland?? Where is the problem? Appart from th lambada probe being In the wrong place? And again, wtf is this crap about 4-1 and 4-2-1 it makes about as much difference as taking a crap in the morning to save weight for a 1/4 mile run.

The main problem with the vvt and the Gti hea with uprating cams is that you have no possible way of changing the pulleys to verniers, without loosing the vvt all together and changing the geometry of the cambelt arrangement.

John

as mitch has mentioned above, if your wanting to cam it, best off looking for a 1400 AFH head off a polo valver, not sure they even make cams for the polo gti, and iv'e never seen it done.

I've seen a few cars with 1400 AFH heads and 1600 gti blocks and they all seem to have good gains, there was a dragon green valver on clubpolo last year with this type of engine with a raceland and exhaust system and he claimed it was touching 150bhp not RR'd.

way back before you lot joined i am sure there was a video of a red lupo gti with cams. i have searched with no results as im restricted to 200 fire engine video

an AFH motor runs conventional type valvegear. I use the kit that includes the 292's. To give you an idea, the power comes in at about 6500, peaks at about 8400 and holds well to 9000 revs.

Pretty much everything everybody sells is done by Schrick. The biggest i've seen listed for the Lupo GTI motor ie. variable inlet, roller rockers is 260 inlet, 252 exhaust with 10mm of lift. See wl-motorsport.de. Go to Polo tuning, then nockenwelle.

The RSG Lupos that run in the DTC run different pistons, cams, headwork, 4-2-1 manifold, sports cat, race system, BMC type induction, variable inlet as standard, mapped to suit make about 180bhp.

I reckon 165 - 170bhp is achievable for a road engine no problem

i have mine rev limited to 8500

as mitch has mentioned above, if your wanting to cam it, best off looking for a 1400 AFH head off a polo valver, not sure they even make cams for the polo gti, and iv'e never seen it done.

I've seen a few cars with 1400 AFH heads and 1600 gti blocks and they all seem to have good gains, there was a dragon green valver on clubpolo last year with this type of engine with a raceland and exhaust system and he claimed it was touching 150bhp not RR'd.

Would i be right in thinking that you could change the 1400 sport bottom end for a 1600 polo gti bottom end and receive the same effect?

Would i be right in thinking that you could change the 1400 sport bottom end for a 1600 polo gti bottom end and receive the same effect?

I don't think so, i think the AFH polo head is different to the lupo sport, Best off asking someone who has done this sort of conversion before or someone who has serious knowledge on these engines.

Mitch seems to be the God when it comes to stuff like this as you can see from a previous post and his reader ride threads.

• 3 weeks later...