EGR Valve Replacement?

Malc 565

Hi all this is my first post on this forum, so here goes !!

I got my wife a 2002 Lupo Sport a couple of weeks ago and last week the warning light on the dash lit up! A mate of mine with a garage plugged in his diagnostic gizmo which displayed the code "16786 Exhaust Gas Recirculation system flow too high P0402". As we got 3 months warrenty with the car I left him with the details of said warrenty and I assume he is sorting out a quote for them, BUT driving home tonight the said warning lamp went OUT!!

Does this mean the problem has cured itself? Will it return? Is this likely to be a problem until the valve is replaced?

Any answers to any or all of these problems would greatly appreciated.

:)

I have an intermittant fault with mine, plan on removing it, cleaning and refitting it at some point.

I know on some cars they can be blanked off for better performance/throttle response, anyone know if that is the case for the Lupo?

• 2 weeks later...

cleaned my egr valve and the light went permanently my boyfriend used carb cleaner... however i have since blanked it off and have noticed a slight increase in power, useless and not needed in my eyes, more trouble than their worth =)

an egr is designed to recirculate some exhaust gas into the cylinder to burn off any unburnt fuel to lower the emissions. the downfall of this the gas takes up room in the cylinder that could be used for a fresh mixture that will burn better therefore giving a slight bhp and torque increase if you blank it off. as for the fault they are generally just a solenoid valve which gets dirty and sticks, if youve got warranty get it replaced its probably intermittantly sticking likely to happen again.

just had mine replaced, it would do the same thing, come on, go off, come on stay on, get reset by the garage, stay off for a bit, etc. I was bad and ran mine for a couple of months like that, then finally got it fixed. The car apparently smoked quite badly when they ran it once it had been replaced, but that cleared up after an italian tune up :)

After removing the EGR valve does the engine management light come on and stay on?

Looking to DIY decat and blank the bits off soon for some more noise and performance lol

I have an intermittant fault with mine, plan on removing it, cleaning and refitting it at some point.

I know on some cars they can be blanked off for better performance/throttle response, anyone know if that is the case for the Lupo?

I'm sure I'd heard somewhere the GTI doesn't even have an EGR Valve?

• 2 weeks later...

After removing the EGR valve does the engine management light come on and stay on?

Looking to DIY decat and blank the bits off soon for some more noise and performance lol

no the fault for the EGR disappears and doesn't come back, i too have also had a de-cat and now have a permanent light that stays on because there is a sensor after the cat.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

Over a year ago the enigine management light came on in my Seat Arosa. I took it to the garage to have the issue diagnosed and they informed me that it was a fault with the EGR Valve. They quoted me a price to replace the part but at the time i did not have the funds so did some research and decided to leave the fault alone. I had the car MOT'd end of 2009 with the existing fault and it passed no problem.

It has recently failed it's most recent MOT due to high emissions.

Basically I'm trying to locate the EGR valve so i can clean/replace it myself.

Picture of what i believe to be the EGR valve

at6zl.jpg

Could someone please tell me if this is the EGR valve and if so what is the best method for cleaning it.

Thank you.

Edited by SeatArosaJPR
  • Like 1

no im afraid thats not it. ive bought a new one and need to replace it. the place i got it from showed me a expoded diagram of where it is and its at the back of the engine just above where the exhaust goes under the car.

no im afraid thats not it. ive bought a new one and need to replace it. the place i got it from showed me a expoded diagram of where it is and its at the back of the engine just above where the exhaust goes under the car.

Don't think it is!

The image above is probably the valve, pipe looks correct, never seen a Lupo EGR valve though.

• 7 months later...

Ive got a problem :(

I serviced my Lupo today and removed.....

at6zl.jpg

^^^^^^ That, gave it a wee wipe and put it back on. After 10 minutes of the engine running, the engine management light came on, Got my mate to plug his computer in and it was coming up with EGR Fault. Took the car a run about and couldnt see out my back window for white smoke!

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Scott

Here's a pic of mine. On the left, under the end of the engine cover, next to the manifold cover. I think anyway, I'm not a mechanic.

IMG_1206.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi, I've currently got 1.0 lupo and I have had exhaust emissions light on since about april last year, it was intermittent but now it seems to be perminantly on. I plugged it into laptop and it comes up with egr fault. I wondered how to fix it as its starting to annoy me now, i cant really afford to buy a new egr valve. I have heard about wynns egr cleaner, does anyone know if it works? also if not could someone tell me where about it is on my engine so i can take it off and clean it and also how to please. If anyone could help at all that would be great. Cheers

Hi, I've currently got 1.0 lupo and I have had exhaust emissions light on since about april last year, it was intermittent but now it seems to be perminantly on. I plugged it into laptop and it comes up with egr fault. I wondered how to fix it as its starting to annoy me now, i cant really afford to buy a new egr valve. I have heard about wynns egr cleaner, does anyone know if it works? also if not could someone tell me where about it is on my engine so i can take it off and clean it and also how to please. If anyone could help at all that would be great. Cheers

also if i unplug it will it turn the light off and still run?

I've got the same problem and my EGR is only 4 years old! Spoke to vw to see whether they would offer me any goodwill and help towards the cost of replacement again but I might as well have bashed my head against a wall - they could not give a shiny sh**e!

• 8 months later...