Infamous Pedal box breakage pictures

Sirsmudge125

Hey all, currently going though the pain of replacing the crappy pedal box and getting it form VW..

Just a run down though the aprts im having to buy... dont do waht i did and assume....

the prices are as accurate as Lookers Volkswagen, lincoln

Pedal box (no pedals or accessories.... Just the box its self)

asumption price.... £25

Real quoted price.... £38.96

Plastic clip for ball joint rod on the Breaking servo

Asumption price.... no more than £5 (after all... it looks like its cheep anyway and its easy to make)

Real price.... £25! (bloke said "its because its part of your break pedal")

IF YOU CAN REMOVE IT WITHOUT SNAPPING IT.... REMOVE IT!

Shear bolts (Have to be removed...)

asumption price.... £1.50

Real quoted price.... £3.47

By the way... You can get Goodwill on the car if this was to happen in lincoln... however... Car has to be under 5 years old, under 999,999 miles. in lincoln anyway... and they were not budging on the thing either...

okay the main reason of this post aswell is that i have some pictures up on my Face book on my progress though replacement. Really is not for the faint hearted lol but the pictures are at.... www . Facebook . com / Tdunning (just click on my pirtures and theres a folder called "Damn car...") again these are mainly just so you know what to look for if you think the pedal box has becided to give up the ghost.

the plastic clip is a horrid pic.. mainly cos THAT cost me £25... robing lovely persons...

its half way though repairs at the moment... VW just rang saying "someone accidently canceled your order, we have reordered it, here 2morro" so keep up with it if you need to see the extent of the work that needs doing.

if anyone needs a hand doign this... contact me hough message on here or Facebook me.

take care guys

iv just done this on my old polo 6n2 i broke my pedal and managed to get a spare one from the scrapyard a usefull tool is a pair of needle nose pliers to spread the plastic clip behind and an old car door mirror so you can see what your doing behind the pedal

Okay, heres the pictures....

The snaped clutch part of the pedal box (still stuck above the pedals)

fb8709a1.jpg

The steering column HAS to come out... seat is negotiable, but it will be near if not Impossible..

8b082f80.jpg

What it looks like at the moment...

269010b9.jpg

Seat is out... (THE KEYS ARE IN AND TURNED SLIGHTLY TO TAKE OFF THE STEERING LOCK) Do not try to torun on the ignition if you havent disconected the negative from the batery... if you have give it 15 - 20 mins or Air bag will pop (apparently)

8f927aaa.jpg

Pedal box removed and we can see the damage... the peice of metal to the left of the clutch pedal is what snaps off.

b235598d.jpg

BEfore i took everything out.. this is what the pedal box looked like after the breakage (you can just see it)

8ab2c245.jpg

Finaly.. The area which is snapped (the spot weld remains attached to the pedal box... however, the component doesnt....

c3328414.jpg