Anti Roll Bars

DanGTI

ok, got a loop GTI, will be buying coilovers....need to know if I will actually benefit much from an aftermarket ARB?

Im wondering if the coilovers alone will help get rid of most the bodyroll anyway, or if they wont really make any difference to that side of the handling. (If its not really going to help I could put the money towards a BMC / more expensive coilies instead).

Anyone here thats been in cars with / without an uprated ARB - much difference? How do coilover owners find bodyroll with the coils fitted (over the car on standard set up)?

to be fair, if you do uprate the roll bar (22mm) i think then u will prob encounter more understeer when pressing on into roundabouts and such, i am running the fk konigs (80mm drop) and although the ride hight is not to everyones liking it does handle like nothing else in the twistys!!

I was thinking of a 23mm hardened volkswagon motorsport one but i get enough understeer as it is when i am pressing on and didnt really want to increase it.

Coilovers will decrease body roll dramaticaly and depending on what rebound adjustment you have too.

Yeah....a stiffer ARB improves the sharpness of the turn in, but it decreases your overall grip. The Lupo chassis is really stiff so if you up the damping you should find it will reduce roll enough whilst keeping the grip wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

The theory is that stiffer anti roll bars at the front will make the car understeer....but with most standard(ish) cars there isn't enough negative camber so every degree of body roll that the anti roll bar stops is a degree extra negative camber so actually gives more front end grip.

This works upto the point at which the springs are sufficiently stiff to stop the body roll. But at this point the springs are so stiff that the dampers cannot cope and grip is lost.

The best set up I have found is to stay with soft front springs and big `anti-roll` bars...that gives mega front end grip....

hardened 23mm front motorsport one?

where do you get one of these from?

1.8t lupo was getting rid of some around a year ago!

pm him and see if he has any left :wink:

Standard Lupo is 17mm, GTi is 19mm......the one I bought to you this morning tigz was on my Lupo Cup car which I thought was a 19mm, but I tried to put a 19mm spanner over it this morning and it didn't fit so Could be bigger...or could have extra thick powder coating on but I didn't have any bigger spanners or a vernier to check, either way it is bigger than a 1.0L Lupo bar.

I do have an extra special "Carvell Motorsport" 1" diameter `anti-roll` bar which we made for the 1.8T....it is EN30B bar which we bent to suit our car....it would go striaght through the exhaust on most cars but would probably fit a 1.8T like your Bill.....it would take a bit of fabrication work to hook it up, but a good starting point.

Standard Lupo is 17mm, GTi is 19mm......the one I bought to you this morning tigz was on my Lupo Cup car which I thought was a 19mm, but I tried to put a 19mm spanner over it this morning and it didn't fit so Could be bigger...or could have extra thick powder coating on but I didn't have any bigger spanners or a vernier to check, either way it is bigger than a 1.0L Lupo bar.

I do have an extra special "Carvell Motorsport" 1" diameter `anti-roll` bar which we made for the 1.8T....it is EN30B bar which we bent to suit our car....it would go striaght through the exhaust on most cars but would probably fit a 1.8T like your Bill.....it would take a bit of fabrication work to hook it up, but a good starting point.

I suspect (but not sure sight unseen) that the exhaust DP may well be a problem for mine also... 2.5" DP and flexi in that area.

Lupo cup cars ran what size bars? and front only?

Do they have an integral rear ARB in the beam?

I think it is 19mm, but as I said I couldn't fit a 19mm spanner on it this morning...probably due to powder coating though.

The Lupo Cup cars did have a H&R bar bolted in the channel in the rear beam, but I took it out and welded a T45 tube in there....they were a bit of a bodge job though because they used massive spring rates to control the body roll which made then like a roller skate and crap on the brakes.

I think it is 19mm, but as I said I couldn't fit a 19mm spanner on it this morning...probably due to powder coating though.

The Lupo Cup cars did have a H&R bar bolted in the channel in the rear beam, but I took it out and welded a T45 tube in there....they were a bit of a bodge job though because they used massive spring rates to control the body roll which made then like a roller skate and crap on the brakes.

I may well play with making a bolt in beam ARB and Eibach front if I can;t get hold of a Cup car front bar. I want to retain the suspension compliance on `as-is` springs/dampers, as this works well on my ibiza, and get the ARB's working on roll control.

What sort of spec is your car now then? I guess it started life as an ex cup car then?

GTI front bar is 23mm diameter but design is not great. Has a large `U-bend` in it to clear the exhaust. Rear beam has integral bar welded in channel. Have'nt measured it but looks 25mm ish.

Bill. I'm going to see about getting some bars made shortly. I'll keep you posted.

QUOTE(Dogwood)
GTI front bar is 23mm diameter but design is not great. Has a large `U-bend` in it to clear the exhaust. Rear beam has integral bar welded in channel. Have'nt measured it but looks 25mm ish.

Bill. I'm going to see about getting some bars made shortly. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers Nick.

I have a nice section of 1.25" Od 316L 0.125"wt tube which is crying at me to make a rear ARB out of it... LOL

Bolt in like Shine Racing ones.. (sounds like H&R one also, not that I've seen one.)

you thinking front and rear Nick?

Yup. Maybe +25% on the front so I can drop the spring rates and an additional one for the back just to perk it up a bit. There's a bloke based at Silverstone thats done some for some of the Kumho BMW boys and they are spot on. Just need to find his name. Need to get some toe in off the back as well.

That tube sounds ideal for an in channel rear though. Is this your good lady's car you are hacking up?!

QUOTE(1.8T Lupo)
I think the bloke at Silverstone is probably Mardi Gras Motorsport?  They make a lot of bespoke `Anti-roll` bars...they are also a good supplier of Carbon Metallic pads for the Brembo calipers.

*NEW* DS2500 Ferodo's also work well on the Brembo's and @ £88/set were a lot cheaper than CM pads £135/set.. (which I still run myself however currently)

QUOTE(Red Lup Gti)
*NEW* DS2500 Ferodo's also work well on the Brembo's

Are they a track pad Bill?? or road aswell?

Both the CM pads and Ds2500 pads are technically a race pad... BUT.. both work very well from cold, no worse and IMHO better than std pads from cold, and significantly better when warm (which does'nt take long at all)

Downside? and there has to be one... extra friction from extra stopping power produces more dust (CM pads) and more heat..

I boil my brake fluid, I dont fade my pads these days. They just keep working.

QUOTE(Dogwood)
Bill, thats cos your coming in from warp factor nine. What you need to do is give the Biza suicide doors that open and close from a microswitch on the brake pedal!

What you got planned for the Lupo?

airbrakes.. Hmmm 8)

Lupo is just Mrs B car.. nothing really planend for it.. other than making it a nicer faster more sorted ickle lupo.

she does'nt use it to anywhere nears its abilty.. but i might do.. :oops: