ATTENTION :  All GTi Owners - gearbox noise

James Saunders

Since owning our lupo GTi i've noticed that sometimes from cold starts when idling on the driveway there is a slight rattle that comes and goes until the engine has been running for 5mins or so.

I took the car too our local dealership 2 times where they had the car over night to hear the cold start noise. Both times they said they can hear the noise but cant see anything wrong and only way to maybe cure it was to fit a new gearbox but they wouldnt do that unless it actually breaks because VW wouldnt replenish the cost as nothing wrong with the car in their eyes... Anyway I got bored of trying to sort it out with VW cust service as they only act on what the dealer has diagnosed. In January I took the car for a service to another dealership who seemed more competant. I told them about the noise and they said they'd need the car over night for a cold start the next day. Yesterday I got round to booking it in and spoke to the service manager. As soon as I told him what the fault was he straight away said "This is a problem mainly on lupo's and polo's, when the engine is cold there is an aggetation of the main shaft into the box that causes a vibration of the 1st motion shaft (which is the noise in question) and the noise should go away when the clutch is pressed" He was 100% correct. He said he is 99% sure that will be the problem without seeing the car but I was welcome to book it in and himself and his senior technician will check it over. He also added there is nothing to be concerned about and not really anything they can do as a new box could do the same and could be ages changing boxes until they find one that doesnt rattle when cold.

Just wondered if you all have 2mins next time you start your car in the morning when the engine is stone cold. Start it up and let it idle, stand infront of the car and listen to see if you get a noise (similiar to a chain rattle), mine isnt constant, just every `10-20secs` or so until warm.

If you open the bonnet the noise comes from the right hand side of the engine bay towards the front where the gear selector arm is..

Thanks in advance peeps... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My Gti has had the same rattling problem fromm new. Was concerned at first but just got used to it now.