eBay Question - Should I trust them?

ArosaMike

Anyone's help/experience would be appreciated here.

My old iPhone is up for sale on eBay. It has 4 more days left to run on the auction. I've had someone contact me asking if £180 cash would be enough for me to end the auction today as he lives in the area. Most go for about £210, so I responded to say such, however, for the convenience, I'd accept less.

Immediate response to say 'Seems fair....do you have a number I could ring you on'

Now perhaps I'm being overly cautious here, but the guy has zero transaction history and I'm a little suspicious. Opinions?

I was selling new old stock Nokia phones at the start of the year and getting similar requests from all over the World to end the auction early for £20 or so. They all sold in auction for £75+ Stick to the auction you put on.

TBF, IF it sells for £210, You will be charged £21 by eBay, then £7.54 by Paypal meaning you will see £181.46 at the end of it.

If the guy is willing to collect from your home then it'll save you a lot of hassle, but if he wants to meet you on a street corner or outside a shop or something, then he's probably going to bop you on the head and run off with your money, in which case I'd say stick with the eBay method!

I'd say to him to meet you in a very public place such as a pub or coffee shop and bring a pal with you u shud be fine if he's dodgy then he won't agree to it if he's legit it'll be no problem

Sent him a message saying I'd rather do it through PayPal. If he's genuine, he'd have no problem with this, since it won't cost him any extra.

All this is irrelevant of course if James sister buys it off me :P

p.s. Cheers everyone for all the advice :) Knew I could get some sense out of you all :P

Edited by ArosaMike

Mate - don't trust anyone on eBay. I sold my iPhone 3GS via Buy It Now - THREE TIMES a couple of weeks back. Each time it was a scammer that bought it. Ended up pissing me off so much that I didn't sell on eBay in the end.

Verified users with Paypal and high/consistent feedback scores should be the only people you deal with.