Newbie Pic taker

Pete

Right, now I'm getting back into the scene abit, I've noticed at meets its not so much a case of people whipping out camera-phones and snapping up some tasty motors, but actual proper cameras, now I have no idea about photography or camera setups, but I'd like to gather enough info on mainly what camera would do me justice, just an entry level beginner type thing, none of this slr business!! Any suggestions on what someone who's totally clueless with this kinda thing should get hold of?? FanQ!!

Deepends on budget really, but a bridge camera such as the Canon Powershot S5IS or it's replacement the PowerShot SX20 IS will do pretty well. I have the S3 and it has and still is serving me well.

There are other makes and models out there, so depending on budget you should find something that suits.

However, once the bug bites, you will be looking to improve the zoom, wide andgle, depth of field etc. and find yourself looking at DSLRs.

That said, you should be able to get a deal on an DSLR, possibly used, and you can just use it on Auto until you get confident and start playing with priorities and manual settings. Then you can add lenses and... and... and then you'll be skint!

I'm lucky enough to have my trusty PowerShot S3 and also an EOS 450D, but to be honest I regularly find myself picking up the S3 as it is so easy to use and the twisty rear screen saves my knees.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/

Good luck and put up some pic's whichever way you decide to go!

Great stuff, thanks for your help you two!! I just feel that there's no point spending loads to start with when I'll possibly only use it at shows etc, but I can see given time I could develop, no pun intended, quite a liking for it, it just sucks abit then I'm trying to save for an engagement ring and a wedding(shhhhhhhhh)!!

Get the camera and promise the wedding when she can make the bed! Actually send her on a Domestic Engineers training course to the same value as the camera and lenses you buy!

:lol::lol::)

Get the camera and promise the wedding when she can make the bed! Actually send her on a Domestic Engineers training course to the same value as the camera and lenses you buy!

:lol::lol::)

Wont that cost double?!? Hee hee! Seen an s3 for around the 150 mark, is that good???

I'm assuming that's 2nd hand? I have found on eBay the S5 for less. Due to the higher res. I would go for an S5 over the S3.

Canon Powershot S5 on eBay...

There are also some pretty good deals on the SX20.

As I said previously , there are other cheaper makes which offer similar features.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18, Fujifilm FinePix S1800, Fujifilm FinePix S1600, Fujifilm FinePix S1500 are a couple which spring up on www.dpreview.com.

Not sure if Nikon or Olympus do a "bridge"

It sits between the compact digital and the DSLR. Usually comes with a fixed lens which will do a small wide angle to a pretty decent zoom. The goood thing is they are easy to use on auto or can be switched to semi auto or manual functionality. Many also have set programmes.

Adaptors type lenses may be available to increase the wide angle or zoom, but due to going through more lenses there will be a slight loss in image quality.

wikipedia definition...

OK, so here are two images taken from roughly the same spot, one with the EOS 450D and Sigma 55-200mm lens and the other with the PowerShot S3IS, both on auto...

4682281891_26f6885c24_b.jpg

Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)::Aperture: f/3.5::Focal Length: 45.2 mm

4682281583_81819dc072_b.jpg

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)::Aperture: f/5.6::Focal Length: 123 mm

...one image cost me ÂŁ650 the other ÂŁ250. The only edit is resize to 700 wide.

• 3 weeks later...