Electric Windows

phodz

Hi :)

I need some help to figure out whats wrong with my electric window, Basically the window on the drivers side works perfectly, However the passenger window doesn't go up or down but u can hear a click wen the button is pressed so it is showing some signs that the electric is working.. Any ideas on what it could be ??

Much appreciated :)

I need some help to figure out whats wrong with my electric window, Basically the window on the drivers side works perfectly, However the passenger window doesn't go up or down but u can hear a click wen the button is pressed so it is showing some signs that the electric is working.. Any ideas on what it could be ??

Hey mate

Just surfing through as I havnt been on here for a while and I saw this post. I have the EXACT same issue with my drivers side window.

Last year I thought bugger it I'll take the glass out and check the mechanism as the switch/relay seemed to be working ok.

Was a really easy job.. glass out.. had a poke about... didnt see anything out of place.. put it all back together and as if by magic the window started working again.

about 4months later it just stopped again.. and I havnt been arsed sinse to take the glass out again. I am proper confused as to what is causing the problem as I know it all works and the mechanism in the door seemed ok.

Have you had any results yet?

Hey mate

Just surfing through as I havnt been on here for a while and I saw this post. I have the EXACT same issue with my drivers side window.

Last year I thought bugger it I'll take the glass out and check the mechanism as the switch/relay seemed to be working ok.

Was a really easy job.. glass out.. had a poke about... didnt see anything out of place.. put it all back together and as if by magic the window started working again.

about 4months later it just stopped again.. and I havnt been arsed sinse to take the glass out again. I am proper confused as to what is causing the problem as I know it all works and the mechanism in the door seemed ok.

Have you had any results yet?

I had the same but im lazy so just swapped the swithches and they work fine now :P

aaaaaahhhhhh im too late! lol its easy to sort the old switches out (if thats whats wrong) theres a link in my sig for anyone who wants to have a butchers in future.

I discovered that this is a common fault. I had the exact same problem where i can hear the button click but the window wasn't moving. after paying to replace the motor i found out all it was is the runners the window is on sticking. I just popped out the interior door panels and had someone pull the window down (not yank) while i pressed the button and i was told to lubricate the runners now and then (every 4-5 months)to stop it sticking in future. Dashboard cleaner was advised as been the perfect lubricant. I'd give it a try before trying to replace the motor/regulator

I discovered that this is a common fault. I had the exact same problem where i can hear the button click but the window wasn't moving. after paying to replace the motor i found out all it was is the runners the window is on sticking. I just popped out the interior door panels and had someone pull the window down (not yank) while i pressed the button and i was told to lubricate the runners now and then (every 4-5 months)to stop it sticking in future. Dashboard cleaner was advised as been the perfect lubricant. I'd give it a try before trying to replace the motor/regulator

O0 ok thanks :) the only problem i have Matt is how do u take the upper panel off. the lower panel is simple screws but the upper one that holds the switch and door handle doesnt seem to have any screws so any good ways of taking it off without damaging it ??

Thanks

O0 ok thanks :) the only problem i have Matt is how do u take the upper panel off. the lower panel is simple screws but the upper one that holds the switch and door handle doesnt seem to have any screws so any good ways of taking it off without damaging it ??

Thanks

You'll need to take both off unless you can get away with just taking the bottom door card off and reaching up to grab the glass. I took both off althought i was assisted by someone with a bit more car knowledge than me, double check but if i remember rightly its just held with plastic clips which should just pull off and pop back in afterwards but it was a while ago. Anyone else know?

Edited by Matt_Matt

the top one has screws behind the handle, just pop the top cover off the handle undo the screws and then they are just clipped in after that! just fixed mine today. hope that helps

edit: its the grab handle not the door release handle to stop any confusion!

Edited by ministig

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with it just clicking on the passenger side and not moving.

What's the best route to do? Somehow force the window down and clean the runners?

What are the runners and where are they, so I can give them a lube.

It's driving my girlfriend insane with the car being so hot atm.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with it just clicking on the passenger side and not moving.

What's the best route to do? Somehow force the window down and clean the runners?

What are the runners and where are they, so I can give them a lube.

It's driving my girlfriend insane with the car being so hot atm.

I'd suggest doing as in above post. If you can remove the top interior panel as advised about (thanks mini stig) forgot about the screw. The panel should just pop off with a little persuasion. As for lube! I was advised the best stuff to use is an aerosol dash cleaner and just spray up and down the black runners which you should see when you've removed the interior panel. Did this about 6 months ago and no problems as yet (touch wood)

I'd be wary incase its the motor, you might have issues closing the window afterwards if it is although i didnt have this problem so not too sure (dont want you to be stuck with the window permanently open). I did have a spare regulator and motor just incase but fortunately I didn’t need it.

I’d just give the runners a good spay/lube and give it a push (while pressing the button to open the window) you might need a second pair of hands for that. If it won’t open after a little push then it might not be stuck and it might be something to do with the motor or a connection.

But, if you are having the same issue that when you press the electric window button you only hear a clicking but the window isn’t moving it sounds similar to what was wrong with mine.

Good luck

Edited by Matt_Matt

• 1 month later...

my switches on the drivers side both make a click when i put them in the upwards position but neither make a click when its in the downwards position, when the passenger window is down i CAN put it up but it wont go down on the drivers switches and as for the drivers window that just doesnt work so i may give the runner trick a go, but for £12 or so for a new switch i doubt i'll be taking them apart!(toooooooo much effort!).... am i having the same problems as everyone else or is mine a different fault?!?!? maybe faulty wiring? although i have a had a quick look at the loom with a tester and they all glow when conected?!?! i'm really stuck now!

• 4 weeks later...

The electric window motors seem to be a common problem on these cars. Sometimes replacing the switch resolves the problem but this can also be caused by the grease in the mechanism drying out.

As you have tried changing the switch then I suggest you remove the regulator and motor from the car. This can sometimes be easier said than done as you will need to get access to the clamps that hold the glass to the regulator. This lack of lubrication for these items can be noticed if the motor clicks when the window switch is pressed but nothing else happens.

To do the job you will need to

1/ remove door top trim by prising of the interior handle handle cover using a flat bladed screwdriver inserted at the small gap at the bottom of the handle cover. Then remove the two crosshead screws. Carefull pull the trim panel away from the door. Some of the plastic clips may break. Release the door cable and unplug the wiring for the warning light (on drivers side). Tear off the grey interior waterproof cover. These are no longer available from VW so can be replaced with a sheet of plastic stuck on with silicone. Unplug the wiring for the electric window switch and door lock.

2/ remove lower door panel by undoing the 4 screws at the bottom of the panel and carefully pull away by pulling out at the sides and then lifting up to clear the top fixings. Remove grey interior cover as above

3/ Place a piece of cloth on the top of the door and then putting strong duck tape from one side of the glass, over the top of the door (and cloth) and stick onto the other side of the glass. Use at least 2 pieces of tape. This is to stop the glass falling and breaking once motor has been removed.

4/ undo the 10mm bolts holding the motor in place (3). Undo the 10 mm bolts at the bottom and top of the regulator arms (2 for each arm). Note one of these has a spacer that may fall into the bottom of the door.

5/ Take a 10mm spanner and reach up inside the door and loosen the bolts on the clamps holding the bottom of the glass. This is a bit akward.

6/ The regulator arm can be gently pulled down and towards each other. With some gentle manipulation this will allow for the clamps to come away from the glass, leaving the glass in place - held by the duck tape

7/ Everything is now free except for the wiring to the actual motor. It is possible to remove this connector without removing the door speaker but just not worth the effort. Use an electric drill on the 4 rivits holding the speaker, unplug and move out of the way. The multi plug connector is used for cars that have the one touch up and down option. A two pin connector is used for those cars that do not have this feature. The connector is held in place by a plastic clip that needs to be pressed to release.

8/ Now everything should be released and the motor, complete with regulator, can be eased out of the space at the bottom of the door.

9/ Place the complete unit onto a clean surface. The motor has a metal fixing bracket on one side. Place with the otherside up and remove the 5 crosshead screws from the plastic cover. Gently ease off the plastic cover but do not fully remove. Inside you will see the metal cable wound around a plastic spindle. Spray plenty of grease into this area. I used a spray lithium grease from Halfords. Refit cover and tighten

10 / spray all of the wheels around the regulator and spray into the area where the cables enter the spindle area mentioned above. Also spray the metal frame of the regulator where the glass clamps slide up and down.

11/ Carefully plug the wiring loom into the motor and plug the wiring back into the window switch. Switch on the ignition and try the switch to ensure that the motor now moves the regulator. Switch off the ignition and remove the wiring connector.

12/ refit the regulator and motor. Refit the bolts remeberring the spacer. Reconnect the switch. Switch on ignition again and move the regulator to half open position.

13/ Now carefully remove the duck tape from the glass and lower the glass gently into the clamps. With the window in the half open position you can then easily retighten the clamps.

14/ Use the button to lower the window completely. Now spray silicone lubricant (also avaibable from Halfords) on the 3 surfaces of the window opening to ensure that the glass does not stick against the door felts when in the closed position.

15/ Refit your speaker with a rivit gun or other suitable fixings. Refit door cards and job is done

Hope this helps

Jowey, great DIY. I have the same problemm with passenger door window. I'll give a try tomorrow, if it's not raining. Strange thing is that, if outside it's raining, the window is working. I can hear the click noise when I press either button, from passenger door or driver door. I measured the current taken by the motor and it's around 16 amps. That means that the mechanism is jamed. I hope tomorrow to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have followed the DIY and the window start to move. I was very happy. Even the speed was higher then the driver's door window. BUT.....after 10 days...it was back to square 1. It's not moving again. The same click when you press the window button and that's all. And the worst thing for me is that I'm not at home. I have left for 5 months with a job. And also the AC compressor is dead. So my wife has to deal with the situation till I'll came back home. No AC and no passenger window working ! Uffff ! Bad combination. I have greased all mechanism, even the cables. That's life !!!