1.4 s - 1.4 sport

CRAZYM1K3Y

Haha, i love it when people go on about brakes on what are, lets be honest, low powered cars. 100bhp isn't exactly going to propel you to hyper-speed and lets face it, 70mph is 70mph. I can do that whether i've got 75bhp or 100bhp, the extra power goes into how quickly you get to that speed.

Thats true, but would you not rather be safer than sorry? VW thought it good enough to do the upgrade :rolleyes:

Thats true, but would you not rather be safer than sorry? VW thought it good enough to do the upgrade :rolleyes:

So that they had another selling point on a car that they were charging you more for ;)

To cover points above....

If you modify your car and dont declare the mods you're an absolute fool and dont deserve a driving licence. If you want 100bhp, buy a sport. If you want 125bhp, buy a GTi. And finally, if you're sensitive to criticism dont put yourself out there by having a go... I dont believe iv got "beef" with anyone on this forum but sometimes people just seem to moan at people for sh!ts and gigs!

So that they had another selling point on a car that they were charging you more for ;)

So why do high end sports cars have big brakes? If they were not needed they wouldnt have them?

You add more power to the engine you'd be a idiot not to add power to you're stopping mechanism.

So why do high end sports cars have big brakes? If they were not needed they wouldnt have them?

You add more power to the engine you'd be a idiot not to add power to you're stopping mechanism.

You've just answered your own question there bud, its a high end sports car! All i'm saying is that with a 25 - 35 bhp increase in power, your not going to go barreling into bushes and walls because you didnt put bigger brakes on your car. Like i said earlier, 70mph is 70mph, 100mph is a 100mph, just becasue you've got more bhp doesnt change that fact, it simply changes how quick you can get to that speed.

Yes if i'm going for big power i'd get bigger brakes, expeciialy if a bigger engine is going in, i get that fact but for what is only going to be 25bhp'ish. Its just un-necessary.

• 1 year later...

If it is shorter geared, would it not be better to fit a 1.4S box to a Sport engine, or is that not possible?

Edited by pieface

Just reading through a link posted on the first page of this link, apparently the non sport engine is a lot better to tune anyway with the only benefit of the 100bhp is better cams

Thinking of sorting all the breathing out on my 75bhp and getting it to purr :)

New manifold and decat, intakes/filters etc

Not after loads of power, just a nicer sound and abit more poke mid range

and re the gearing, I'm sure I read somewhere that the 75bhp shares a similar ratio to the GTI 5-speed where as the sport is shorter meaning you're changing gear all the time, also read that sport owners complain about the amount high rpm at motorway cruising speeds and feeling like they need a 6th gear so surely theyre must be a diff because mine will sit at just over 2500rpm at 70 in 5th where sport owners were reading 3000+ :S

The only downside i've found to the lupo engine is the price of the cams. And cams alone wont make much difference. You'd need to port the head and get it breathing nicely, so the cams get the full effect.

As for RPM, I couldn't possibly comment, my rev counter stopped working :(

Exhaust system, filters and maybe a bit of head work (if you have the time and money) would benefit a lot.

Edited by pieface

If it is shorter geared, would it not be better to fit a 1.4S box to a Sport engine, or is that not possible?

It is and its a good idea as the 1.4 box is stronger! The Sport has a close ratio box

For the headaches of it, I like my way of solving this issue....

I bought the wife a 1.4s for xmas, it had a broken engine,

One of my friends broke his polo gti, so i had the engine & box, loom, Ecu, exhaust, radiator, imob & chip reader, & the rear beam is still yet to come,

All in her 1.4s now has an AVY 125hp,..... with a soon to be G60 front brake conversion & a gti rear axle....

so we are talking lupo gti territory for £1450... with the simple smoother looks of the "s" & i'm going to add a 1.0L badge just for giggles... she also didnt like the interior light grey colour,... whole interior change has cost us £85

Simples... want a Lupo but dont know what one.... buy a broken one and put what you like in it!!!

Edited by Dogbot

It is and its a good idea as the 1.4 box is stronger! The Sport has a close ratio box

So the sport box would be better for the likes of hillclimb/sprint etc etc

Is it just the case of the gearbox being c/r or is there a selection of final drives that can be fitted??

the sport boxes are alot closer ratio i couldnt find one when mine went so i put a box out of a lupo 1.4 e in my car just takes abit of winding up sometimes ahaha i also have a 1.4 s engine in my sport all i did was swaped the cams inlet and throttle body and it is still runing 117 bhp with a remap :P so for all of you that say its abig job it clearly isnt at all :D just had to have a dig :)

• 1 month later...

the sport boxes are alot closer ratio i couldnt find one when mine went so i put a box out of a lupo 1.4 e in my car just takes abit of winding up sometimes ahaha i also have a 1.4 s engine in my sport all i did was swaped the cams inlet and throttle body and it is still runing 117 bhp with a remap :P so for all of you that say its abig job it clearly isnt at all :D just had to have a dig :)

Thankyou! Just one question to all of you though, as i'm pretty much a VW noob - can the 1.6 16v inlet be fitted to either of the 1.4 16v heads? The same goes for the Exhaust manifold? Or is that what people have done and i'm just reading it wrongly by assuming they're fitting 1.4 parts?

EDIT: The part number 036 129 711 BP match... so in theory, you could fit a 1.6 16v inlet to a 1.4 16v S or Sport?

Edited by Silver6

• 4 weeks later...

Couldnt be bothered to read the full thread but i've done the conversion.

If you can but a cheap enough Lupo S and a cheap or decent priced sport engine and do all the work yourself it is cost effective. You need the engine and full wiring harness including the interior harness. Dont forget the little things like immobilizer etc...

My full conversion cost around £650 as i done all the work myself. I have to say the conversion was worth doing as my 75bhp blew up but looking back a GTI conversion would be the same job and you'd gain an extra 50bhp instead of 25bhp.

PM me if you want any info on it, can tell you absolutely anything you need to know :)