1.4 s - 1.4 sport

CRAZYM1K3Y

1.4 sport ie the 75kw has stronger pistons, larger inlet and exhaust ports, modified camshaft timing, modified inlet manifold, modified exhaust manifold and exhaust system and a aluminium sump to increase regidity for the higher performance over the 55kw 1.4 engine.

both the 1.4 petrols have the same max torque of 123Nm with the 55kw max torque at 3300rpm and the 75kw at 4500rpm.

they will both run on 91 Ron fuel but with reduced power output and torque, 55kw should run on 95Ron whilst the 75Kw engine should run on 98Ron.

the 085 gearbox was fitted to the 1.0 37kw, 1.4 55kw, 1.4 75kw petrol engines and the 1.7 44kw sdi engine, albeit with different ratios.

info took from Vw self study program

George

• 2 weeks later...

Just got hold of a 1.4 16v "sport" engine to replace my worn out 1.4 16v S Engine. Now, short of being shot down in flames for not using the, somewhat, terrible search function on here, i'm donning my flame suit pre-emptively for i'm about to ask some questions.

The reason i've set foot about replacing the engine is that the old engine has knackered rings and stem seals, so subsequently, puffs out more smoke than a chain smoker. Which is nice...

Yes, there will be those on their high-horses who will suggest just buying a sport Lupo instead. But why? Thats boring.

Now, ECU's: Are there any differences between the two. Can I make the existing 75hp ECU talk to the sensors on the new 100hp engine? I assume the mounts are the same or do I have to fab up some new ones?

I'll probably start a project thread on this, but i'm testing the water first. Plans are to rip open this new engine and replace all the serviceable parts inc. rings and gaskets. Much easier doing it this way than having the car off the road for a day or two.

You need the 100bhp sport ECU. You need the sport wiring harness including the interior harness. A lot of the plugs and sensors have different pin patterns. The ECU needs to corispond immobiliser.

Theres a lot you need to consider, like i mentioned in my other post, you need to think about things like ABS etc... Its one of the last things i need to sort becasuse i've done the conversion but you will need the full brake set up. I still currently have hand brake light flashing, abs light on, ecu light on and air bag light on(connection behind the dash)

Looks like i'll be breaking out the multimeter and making some plugs myself then. I'll try and get most of it done myself but I can imagine there are some things that aren't available to DIY and will need buying.

Whats wrong with using the rear drums?

Whats wrong with using the rear drums?

At a guess your S doesnt have ABS (most of them dont) so you'll need to replace the brakes set up so you have the plugs for the ABS unless your happy with a load of lights on the dash and the warning buzzer going off everytime you get in the car

Yeah, maybe, but as long as it works... No sense in argueing with an MOT man for the sake of an illuminated bulb on the dashboard. I have the engine now so i'll commence a project thread