Clunking noise

The rear shocks sound like there hitting the bodywork or something when i drive, ive took it apart several times and tried loads of way to find a solution but i havent got a clue, anyideas?

Was just about to ask a very similar question....my arosa has a clunking from

as a guess the rear left shock. I thought it was the exhaust,but had a quick shufty on the ramps and it's bolted on tight

any suggestions to sort this? Only thing i can guess is it's possibly a mount of somekind or a bush

I had two types of clunks from the rear that I have 100% sorted now as it has been a few weeks of final silence smile.gif

1) the rear shock rubber doughnuts on both sides were flatter than they should be with wear and the central hole allowed for play. These are the ones that sit on either side of the chasis before bolting down.......all Lupos have them

I changed mine for new OEM ones (4 for £8 in total) and that noise disappears instantly.

2) tailgate knocking. People say just tighten/move the lock mech to get a snugger fit but this will not cure it. I took the tailgate rubber seal off the car and rotated 108degrees and put back on (top to bottom and bottom to top). Noise disappeared once again and the noise was due to the rubber seal becoming deformed with the increased pressure of making a tighter seal in the first place with general wear and tear.

I did in the end get a spare tailgate rubber seal from a newer Lupo as a spare smile.gif

Edited by Mike_M

• 2 weeks later...

I've just noticed a funny thing on my shocks - there is a bit of plastic pipe at the bottom of the ribbed rubber bits (ooer) that fits on to the last rib - mine is very loose and you can hear it knocking if you go round a tight corner at speed - I'm just going to glue it back on to the last rubber rib thing. Seems a bit flimsy really.

Edited by LupoEnvy

I've just noticed a funny thing on my shocks - there is a bit of plastic pipe at the bottom of the ribbed rubber bits (ooer) that fits on to the last rib - mine is very loose and you can hear it knocking if you go round a tight corner at speed - I'm just going to glue it back on to the last rubber rib thing. Seems a bit flimsy really.

I'm just in the process of sorting out the same problem - it seems that the plastic pipe is a dust/mud shield for the shock absorber, and it fastens to a moulded hardfoam bumpstop at the top of the shock. These hardfoam bumpstops seem to disintegrate over time (sometimes not very long), then the dust shield drops loose and rattles against the shock. Part number for the bumpstop is 6XO 512 131 A (rubber stop), thats all you need, the dust shield should fasten back on to the new stop.

• 6 years later...
On 4/30/2010 at 2:17 PM, Mike_M said:

I had two types of clunks from the rear that I have 100% sorted now as it has been a few weeks of final silence smile.gif

1) the rear shock rubber doughnuts on both sides were flatter than they should be with wear and the central hole allowed for play. These are the ones that sit on either side of the chasis before bolting down.......all Lupos have them

I changed mine for new OEM ones (4 for £8 in total) and that noise disappears instantly.

I know, I know, holy thread revival Batman etc etc etc :rolleyes:

My car also has an annoying 'clunk' sound coming from the rear suspension somewhere when cornering or going over speedbumps <_<

I'm about to fit a set of low mileage used shocks and new bump stops, none the less I'm intrigued by the "Rubber doughnut" structures that Mike_M mentions in this vintage thread... Can anyone provide the correct name for this part, or even better a part number/link to buy said part?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this subject!

I'm pretty sure the part number for this is 6X0512335. A quick Google for that brings up images of a 'rubber doughnut' that I remember from when I put on my coilovers! Might have a look at mine aswell actually as it very occasionally makes a clunk sound aswell!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skajme said:

I'm pretty sure the part number for this is 6X0512335. A quick Google for that brings up images of a 'rubber doughnut' that I remember from when I put on my coilovers! Might have a look at mine aswell actually as it very occasionally makes a clunk sound aswell!

You Legend :)

As suggested a google search not only brought up the part but also this SDI 'how to' thread...http://vwforum.ro/topic/92339-dyi-schimbare-amortizoare-spate-la-lupo-sdi/

Pretty sure the author of that thread is registered here too... A picture speaks a thousand words and as such it makes it preferable to the dead threads here without any pics irrespectrive of the fact it's written in (Spanish?) :D

@lupo 1.7sdi Is this your thread? If so any chance of a translation to our native tongue?

Edited by JoeyEunos

With hindsight I think that might be Romanian as opposed to Spanish? Either way the pics are useful.

RE my clunking issues, I'll try some good used shocks/new 'rubber doughnuts'(Lol)/new bump stops, after that I'll be left with no choice but to put it down to rear beam bushes :o

TBH if some tinkering with the rear shocks doesn't sort it and this does turn out to be rear beam bushes, I may well give the task a swerve and live with the clunking.

Yes, you guessed right is Romanian language not Spanish, so you do not need to learn Spanish;). But I need to learn English better to make me understand.

For a long time I had a noise when passing over bumps or curves (It sounds like something hit the bodywork). First time I suspected that  rubber doughnuts. But some time ago I fixed the exhaust pipe (I replaced the muffler) and I noticed that exhaust pipe was not centered correctly due the grip from the front of catalyst converter. I fixed it and no strange noises.
In conclusion I suggest you first  check centering of the exhaust pipe (shake the rear silencer vigorously in all directions: do not have to hear blows in the bodywork)
Of course it could be other causes, but this is easiest to check (visual inspection would be welcome)

If you want to translate some passages of my topic I will try, but not very soon because I'm very busy.

Edited by lupo 1.7sdi
  • Like 2

No worries at all fella, FWIW your English is far better than my Romanian! As I mentioned a picture really does speak a thousand words and google translator has done an exellent job of the rest ;)

RE my exhaust, it's 100% not the culprit... I know this on the basis that I recently replaced the whole lot from the manifold back with pattern parts and tesed for fouling of the shell during fitting, the noise was also present before the new exhaust too. I've also looked at tanks straps and heat shields but alas, no cigar.

It's either down to 'shock knock' or rear beam bushes, I'm convinced of it.

• 2 weeks later...