Ross' black Lupo GTI - with added slammed Beetle content

RossB

Cheers James. I bought some red tinting film from Lamin-X, stuck a section over the reverse lights, then cut around the outline of the light with a scalpel/knife. Red tint spray would probably be a better/neater option but at the time I wanted to try something that wasn't permanent, and was quite pleased with the result. Have been quite tempted by Cambridge lights just lately though.

• 4 months later...

Had a good cleaning session last weekend, and today I washed it and gave it another coat of wax:

DSCN3409copy.jpg

DSCN3408copy.jpg

DSCN3410copy.jpg

It's hard to tell, but that last photo is one with both headlights on, yes, at long last I now have two working headlights once again!

There is quite an embarrassing story behind it though, kinda kicking myself :lol: . I picked up the headlight yesterday morning, at a cost of £559 (VW agreed to give me 10% discount when I told them I'd found it cheaper elsewhere), got home, fitted it, didn't work. So then I went back to square one and checked the fuses again, and you can probably guess what I'm about to say.... all along, it was a blown fuse :oops: . Turns out I'd checked the wrong fuse in the first place, so all this time, all I would have had to do was buy a fuse for less than a quid, and instead I've paid nearly 600 quid for a new headlight :oops: . I do wonder why the garage I took it to never checked the fuses though.

It's not all bad though, as part of the reason I bought the new headlight was because the back of the old one was damaged ever so slightly, which is what I reckon was causing condensation. So the plan is now to see if VW will have the ignitor unit back as I don't need it, which is worth the best part of £300.

Just so glad to have it sorted out now as it's dragged on for so long, I'm driving around in the daytime with my headlights on at the minute, loving it :lol: .

Only other changes are that I've took all the stickers out of the back window, fancied a cleaner look so now just have the WW heart. Also I replaced the red lip tape on the back wheels as it was looking a bit worse for wear, and after the first journey most of it fell off, so I ended up pulling the lot off! The wheels might be getting refurbished in the not too distant future anyway.

Fitted new door check straps today, and a new side repeater as the old one was water damaged. Boring update but every little helps! It's nice not having the loud cracking noise when opening the doors :) .

Getting to know the VW parts guy quite well :lol: , he knocked some money off for me again today, unprompted, purely because he felt sorry for me over the headlight saga :D

Comments/feedback welcome... :)

I'm sure you wont regret it mate. I'm one of those people that's always looking at what car to get next, always tempted by other cars, especially as I 'downgraded' from a Audi TT 225, but I know whenever I do sell I'll miss the Lupo, it's a great little car, fast enough to be fun without breaking the bank, and turns so many heads :D

• 1 month later...

Rear tyres on the TH Mono's need replacing, so the car is back on the Bathursts, first time I've seen it low on the Bathursts too...

DSCN3416copy.jpg

DSCN3417copy.jpg

Tuck...

DSCN3418copy.jpg

Looks quite decent but I miss the stance. Now the Mono's are off I will hopefully be getting them refurbished, don't want to run the Bathursts for too long as I fear the camber will kill the Yokohama S-Drives much quicker than it killed the Nankangs that are on the Mono's!

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the wheels from City Powdercoaters today...

DSCN3420.jpg

DSCN3421.jpg

Got two of the tyres fitted, waiting on delivery of the other two:

DSCN3424.jpg

DSCN3425.jpg

I've also dropped the front end another 3 turns. Driveshaft is taking a bit more of a beating, looks spot on though!

:D

Took some more pics today, partly because I'd cleaned it, but also they're decent pictures of the new front end height. I'm really happy with how it's sitting now!

DSCN3429copy.jpg

DSCN3428copy.jpg

DSCN3427copy.jpg

DSCN3426copy.jpg

I then test fitted one of the new wheels, I wanted to see if it would catch at the front as I'd dropped it more on the Bathurst's. Went for a quick ride round the block and it didn't catch once, including driving a bit faster than I normally would over speed bumps, result. Oh and I'm loving the new colour :D . Apologies for the blurry pics!

DSCN3431.jpg

DSCN3432copy.jpg

DSCN3433.jpg

DSCN3435.jpg

DSCN3436.jpg

DSCN3437copy.jpg

The abused driveshaft:

DSCN3441.jpg

I also fitted a new red pinstripe grille, courtesy of 99hjhm (thanks!), fits much better as it wedges in tight between the bumper and grille. It also came to my attention that my GTI badge wasn't quite in the right place, I think? So I moved it slightly higher, think it looks better now :D

Before:

DSCN3442copy.jpg

After:

DSCN3443copy.jpg

Comments welcome :D

Edited by RossB

I think it will look better once you get all the wheels on..but for me the black with the red lip was simply :wub: i may think different when all 4 corners are on.. :)

Thanks for the comments :)

The black with the red lip did look pretty trick, ultimately though I think I just wanted a change, and the wheels have needed a refurb since I bought them.

The other 2 tyres arrived today so all being well the wheels will be on on Friday :)

:wub: Love this

When mine was black I used to love polishing the fk out of it just the get the paint like mirrored glass :D

I wish I could say the same lol... The thing is a nightmare to keep looking clean, and then there's the swirl marks... Wish it was red or blue! Does look nice when it's clean though, shame it never really lasts long!

I got a red one and yeah it does look really good when clean, and stays clean for quite a bit. But I do think black is still the best colour when clean, and grey is.really nice too. As long as you enjoy cleaning cars :)

Ha I really like the photo with the planks on it, ha you can't.get the jack under either then. :)