Ross' black Lupo GTI - with added slammed Beetle content

RossB

I've been a member for a while but until now haven't made a project thread, as I wanted to get the car lowered at least before showing it off smile.gif

The car was bought as a standard '02 plate 6 speed back in September last year...

DSCN2587.jpg

DSCN2583.jpg

First mod, red pinstripe grille:

DSCN2596.jpg

Then I sprayed the badges black:

DSCN2661.jpg

DSCN2664.jpg

Stubby aerial:

DSCN2663.jpg

Got my Bathursts refurbished, powdercoated gloss black:

DSCN2797.jpg

DSCN2800.jpg

It stayed looking like this for a while due to me being made redundant and being jobless for about 4 months. I've since started working again and naturally I couldn't wait to start modding again having gone cold turkey for a while laugh.gif

The first thing I bought was some second hand wheels, but resisted fitting them before I'd got myself a set of coilovers. Decided on some Weitec Hicon GT's:

DSCN2978.jpg

Also tinted out the reverse light section on my rear lights:

DSCN2975.jpg

Then I had everything fitted up biggrin.gif ...

DSCN2999.jpg

DSCN2975.jpg

DSCN3003.jpg

DSCN3002.jpg

DSCN2998.jpg

DSCN2994.jpg

DSCN2995.jpg

DSCN3001.jpg

Really happy with how it's turned out so far biggrin.gif . Love how it looks and it handles really well on the Weitec's, hell, even the Nankang's aren't as bad as I expected, although I'm yet to experience them in the wet! The wheels are 15x8's all round with 185/45's, and I added the red tape round the lips for a bit of a twist, think this works really well especially with the grille! Kind of wanted to make them my own as I've inadvertently copied Ad's/BrightonDub's car blush.gif ... never planned on Mono's but when they came up for sale I couldn't resist!

I've got some 5mm spacers for the rear wheels, went to fit them yesterday but there wasn't enough bolt in the hubs for my liking, seemed unsafe to me, so need some longer bolts.

Comments welcome smile.gif

Edited by RossB
  • Like 1

Cheers mate, they do suit it perfectly I have to say... I was pleased to find they weighed no more than the Bathursts aswell, didn't wanna slow the beast down! I do fancy some splits one day though for a bit more bling and dish, always fancied some OZ Turbo's B)

Looks very nice.

I would move the rear number plate down a little, looks a bit high.

Yes, wouldn't trust 5mm spacers on std bolts, you just need some 30mm ones from ebay, they are not expensive.

I was pleased to find they weighed no more than the Bathursts aswell, didn't wanna slow the beast down!

I do fancy some splits one day though for a bit more bling and dish, always fancied some OZ Turbo's B)

I know, i'm sure when i had them, they felt a little lighter.

Bling is good :)

Looks very nice.

I would move the rear number plate down a little, looks a bit high.

Yes, wouldn't trust 5mm spacers on std bolts, you just need some 30mm ones from ebay, they are not expensive.

I'd never noticed the number plate being too high actually! I guess it's another excuse to get some pressed plates on it :P

30mm you say, cheers for that! Is there any other sizes I need to look out for, like a thread size? What do people normally do about the locking nuts aswell, just not use any?

I'd never noticed the number plate being too high actually! I guess it's another excuse to get some pressed plates on it :P

30mm you say, cheers for that! Is there any other sizes I need to look out for, like a thread size? What do people normally do about the locking nuts aswell, just not use any?

You can get locking ones too, are you using the VW bolts still, cause the Comps probably use tapered seat bolts. Thread size is M12x1.5.

Ah nice one ;) You've done a good job with the lip, they were ghey before, rears kept chipping from stones flicking up :(

Yeah there were quite a few paint chips on the lips when I bought them, I touched them all up with touch up paint though and they looked a lot better, not perfect obviously but better. I have noticed some more paint chips have appeared though in the short time they've been on the car, to the side of the red tape.

I've had thoughts about having the wheels powdercoated red TBH, partly because I think it could look cool and partly to put my own stamp on it as at the minute it looks like your old car! Oh and I have a couple of seized up valve caps aswell so need new valves. Unsure on it though...

LupoRedMonoscopy.jpg

Hope BrightonDubs doesn't mind me using the pic of his car :lol:

really nice car mate, just wondering if you still got the Bathursts wouldn't mind seeing them on my lupo tbh :D

I have mate yeah, but I'm undecided about selling them or not to be truthful, think I'm gonna keep them for the foreseeable future so I can use them if I get the Mono's refurb'd though, sorry :)

You can get locking ones too, are you using the VW bolts still, cause the Comps probably use tapered seat bolts. Thread size is M12x1.5.

Yeah they're the old bolts, they seem fine though I have to say, and the guy who owned the wheels before ran his with his standard flat seated bolts too. Can't remember what the bolt seat looks like on the wheel now...

Thanks for the thread size, I'll have a butchers on eBay :)

This looks flipping rude! If i had another, it would be silver on silver monos or black on black monos! For some reason i just think it would look awesome with crosshairs or tape across the headlights. Or tint the headlights for full on stealth mode B)

That looks cool dude. Loving the compo's too, hopefully i will have a set soon if my brother is willing to part with his!

Standard bolts? You sure?

I'm fairly certain that standard wheels use rounded bolts, and aftermarket wheels use tapered bolts. And when I tried my Mono's on with the standard bolts, they only went in one turn or so.

• Like 1