Ross' black Lupo GTI - with added slammed Beetle content

RossB

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good! I've just got 20mm spacers to make my rears 15x8 et3 so can't wait to see how it sits :-)

Thanks Joe and Hakster! :)

Having a bit of a nightmare with my seized coilover! Attempted the job again for the second time today armed with an offset deep ring spanner and it was still too big to fit in the recess. It's costing me a small fortune... Tools, new spring perch, and then I'll have to pay to get the geometry set up again.

The offending nut:

E93808A8-6107-457C-9E53-B9CD723BB816-553

Planning to buy a 'podger spanner' or a 21mm spark plug socket.

So the moral of the story is.... Grease your coilovers up before fitting them! :(

Thanks Joe and Hakster! :)

Having a bit of a nightmare with my seized coilover! Attempted the job again for the second time today armed with an offset deep ring spanner and it was still too big to fit in the recess. It's costing me a small fortune... Tools, new spring perch, and then I'll have to pay to get the geometry set up again.

The offending nut:

E93808A8-6107-457C-9E53-B9CD723BB816-553

Planning to buy a 'podger spanner' or a 21mm spark plug socket.

So the moral of the story is.... Grease your coilovers up before fitting them! :(

easy one this get the right fitting socket and grind two flats onto it and then you can use a spanner (open ender) and a allen key

jobs a gooden ;)

Thanks Tom! :)

vpolo, I'd seen that way of doing it whilst having a look around online, only problem is I don't have the tools to grind a socket with.

Here's some more pics of the girlfriend's '69 1200 bug..

C08E7B5F-0C5A-4963-84A9-7EF47E823041-553

6BDD84A0-85B0-4C94-83C2-DC578A6BB54F-553

27016825-AF7F-4CEE-8929-B70E92E17528-553

650C4DD9-263B-4670-898F-7F3C48DD7DC2-553

B9995E74-0C84-441A-8BAD-95D506220176-553

9387402C-5D61-463C-A92A-467C619EAF39-553

Got my 21mm spark plug socket for the top mount nut, just had a quick try to see if I could loosen it off and it wouldn't budge, but would this be because I hadn't jacked the car up and the compressed suspension spring was putting a lot of pressure on the top mount, therefore making the bolt nigh on impossible to undo?

Hoping this is the case. If I can't get it off when I try properly this weekend I think I might cry!

Have you tried shocking the bolt of with an air gun an impact socket mate? I had this problem with mates coilovers and took them to work and they came straight off with my impact gun.... Sorry if I've missed the point and hope this helps haha

Cheers for the replies on the bolt. I think I've got an impact driver somewhere so that might be worth a go I think. The other day I had the socket on the bolt, with an adjustable spanner on the socket, and a hex key through the socket. I put my trolley jack handle/bar on the end of the hex key for leverage which must be about half a metre long and I couldn't get it to loosen.

Ben, thanks mate, love your GTI. I've had no problems whatsoever with the 165/50's thus far, haven't put any air in them since the tyres were fitted. In fact if I keep my 15x8 Mono's as winter wheels I'll probably replace the 185/45 Nankangs with 165/50 Bridgestone's, much more arch friendly. :)

Cheers for the replies on the bolt. I think I've got an impact driver somewhere so that might be worth a go I think. The other day I had the socket on the bolt, with an adjustable spanner on the socket, and a hex key through the socket. I put my trolley jack handle/bar on the end of the hex key for leverage which must be about half a metre long and I couldn't get it to loosen.Ben, thanks mate, love your GTI. I've had no problems whatsoever with the 165/50's thus far, haven't put any air in them since the tyres were fitted. In fact if I keep my 15x8 Mono's as winter wheels I'll probably replace the 185/45 Nankangs with 165/50 Bridgestone's, much more arch friendly. :)

Cheers bro I love yours sits amazing on those RSs :) I think I might swap my 185 nankangs for a pair of these to help my tuck the RMs better :) hopefully see you at some shows man

Ben