1.4 TDi tuning

Diesel madness

Am hill-climbing a 1.4TDi Lupo but need more power and less body roll.

Have had a remap but 75 hp at the wheels is proving embarrassing on the straights.

See link for consequences of trying too hard.

I think the problem is you trying to turn a right angled corner at speed with the brakes slammed on, rather than not enough power

You have had it mapped and your getting 75 at the wheels ? :s

Yeah - standard power is at the flywheel, so will be less at the wheels

I think the problem is you trying to turn a right angled corner at speed with the brakes slammed on, rather than not enough power

Yeah - standard power is at the flywheel, so will be less at the wheels

Yeahh i know that, but i have had mine mapped and its 105 at the Flywheel, id be pretty dissapointed if it was 75 at the wheels, ha cause standard it was 85.5 at the flywheel and 75 at the wheels, :\

Thanks for the comments.

Its lowered by 30mm. Not keen on much lower as having some suspension helps with bumpy tracks.

Rolling road showed 100bhp at the flywheel and 75 at the wheels. I have no idea where the loss is.

Has anyone put in 360 thrust bearings on the standard Garret turbo and upped the boost ?

It seems the simplest mod.

It's quiet hard to get big power from the 1.4 Tdi from what I have heard. Apparently the heads are not up to big bhp so don't last long.

If you want to go bigger turbo then you can run a Golf pd 130 turbo but you will need to cut one of the ends off the manifold and weld it up to make it fit the 3 cyl. Then you can run the 13/150 injectors and then get the map corrected to suit. That would get your bhp up.

I looked into running the Audi 1.4 90bhp vnt turbo on my tdi as it is a 3 cyl 1.4 but bigger bhp to start, but the turbos are hard to come by and the mapping would be pretty difficult to get done to control the vnt..... so it's not beneficial enough to get done.

You could try loosing one of the boxes in the exhaust as Im sure I have seen somewhere that it gives you a bit more torque but looses top end, the tracks you are doing are quiet twisty so you may benefit from that.

A lot of the guys and girls on here are raving about the rear anti roll bar kits from Awesome so you should look into those I reckon

Try taking a look on www.tdiclub.com as a lot of the people on there know their stuff and if you search for 1.4 tdi tuning there are quiet a few threads about it ;)

I saw that black and silver Talbot on a trailer on the M25 the other week - looks well smart!

Do you have any links to websites that list where and when you race? I'm quiet interested in coming to watch sometime :)

It's quiet hard to get big power from the 1.4 Tdi from what I have heard. Apparently the heads are not up to big bhp so don't last long.

If you want to go bigger turbo then you can run a Golf pd 130 turbo but you will need to cut one of the ends off the manifold and weld it up to make it fit the 3 cyl. Then you can run the 13/150 injectors and then get the map corrected to suit. That would get your bhp up.

I looked into running the Audi 1.4 90bhp vnt turbo on my tdi as it is a 3 cyl 1.4 but bigger bhp to start, but the turbos are hard to come by and the mapping would be pretty difficult to get done to control the vnt..... so it's not beneficial enough to get done.

You could try loosing one of the boxes in the exhaust as Im sure I have seen somewhere that it gives you a bit more torque but looses top end, the tracks you are doing are quiet twisty so you may benefit from that.

A lot of the guys and girls on here are raving about the rear anti roll bar kits from Awesome so you should look into those I reckon

Try taking a look on www.tdiclub.com as a lot of the people on there know their stuff and if you search for 1.4 tdi tuning there are quiet a few threads about it ;)

I saw that black and silver Talbot on a trailer on the M25 the other week - looks well smart!

Do you have any links to websites that list where and when you race? I'm quiet interested in coming to watch sometime :)

Next few hillclimbs are:

Wiscombe Park 15-May

Wiscombe Park 16-May

Mamhead 29-May

Mamhead 30-May

Castle 10-Jul

Castle 11-Jul

Be good to see you.

My own favorite option looks like a hybrid turbo from Turbo Techniques.

Should be able to find 150- 160bhp.

My tuner thinks we should see what the existing injectors can deliver before changing.

Rolling road showed 100bhp at the flywheel and 75 at the wheels. I have no idea where the loss is.

Has anyone put in 360 thrust bearings on the standard Garret turbo and upped the boost ?

It seems the simplest mod.

Chances are it's the rolling road that's not right... Your lupo is probably only putting out 85-90bhp at the flywheel. Most Lupo TDI's only lose around 10bhp through transmission.

As for putting a 360Ëš Thrust bearing in and upping the Boost, It's not that simple... To change the bearing you'll also have to change the oil seals and get the shaft re-balanced. Basically a full overhaul of the turbo.

Upping the boost would require further mapping. It's not possible to Manually up the boost on these engines, because as soon as you do anything with a Bleed valve or similar, the ECU will fight it and back it down again.

Ideal mods would be:

Custom made downpipe/decat and a better breathing Cat-back exhaust (the standard ones are dreadfully restrictive).

Custom made All aluminium intercooler to the same design of the Original one. Don't have the core made any bigger as the tiny turbo's on these 1.4 TDI's don't run very happily with increased air volume.

The Aluminium end tanks will aid in the cooling.

As well as these mods, Do a little bit of work into getting more air into the standard airbox! Don't bother with any of these induction kits as so far I've only ever seen them create lag on the 3 cyl TDI's.

Once this is all done, A proper custom remap by a reputable mapper will see you right.

I can't say exactly what BHP you will get, but this combination will get you the best from the car!

Furthering on from that, The Audi A2 '90bhp' 1.4 TDI (which came with the ATL engine code) used different injectors and a different turbo charger.

Next few hillclimbs are:

Wiscombe Park 15-May

Wiscombe Park 16-May

Mamhead 29-May

Mamhead 30-May

Castle 10-Jul

Castle 11-Jul

Be good to see you.

My own favorite option looks like a hybrid turbo from Turbo Techniques.

Should be able to find 150- 160bhp.

My tuner thinks we should see what the existing injectors can deliver before changing.

Wow must be 8 years since I went to Wiscombe as a kid. Please start a readers ride thread to keep us updated with your progress.

That corner (Sawbench?) is a first gear corner in an old Aston, lol, think you were a little late on the brakes.

Wow must be 8 years since I went to Wiscombe as a kid. Please start a readers ride thread to keep us updated with your progress.

That corner (Sawbench?) is a first gear corner in an old Aston, lol, think you were a little late on the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

No spare pennies for hybrid turbo yet but missed the tyres this time.

Latest outing at Wiscombe:

2nd in class on Saturday out of 5, 5th in the rain on Sunday out of 13.

Sorry to say that it looks like a breathed on Swift GTi is speedier than a diesel Lupo !!

4612179093_af0c2e68c1.jpg

Shame about the weather today :(

No spare pennies for hybrid turbo yet but missed the tyres this time.

Latest outing at Wiscombe:

2nd in class on Saturday out of 5, 5th in the rain on Sunday out of 13.

Sorry to say that it looks like a breathed on Swift GTi is speedier than a diesel Lupo !!

You would need an MSA license and to join a local motor club.

Best place to find friendly info would be from the local association, yours is:

http://www.anwcc.org/

You'll also need a helmet gloves and overalls.

I suggest you go to an event and talk to the organisers. In my experience grass roots motorsport is very welcoming to newcomers.

At the moment I have Duran supersport 195 55 15

They are not very good ;)

Really need a set of Toyo 888 or Yokohama 048s.

Trouble is it means having a spare set of wheels for use during the week.

Funnily enough I hit the tyres at Sawbench on my previous visit to Wiscombe. King of the just too late brakers.

I have a new wing from e-bay but haven't found the time to fit it yet.

Currently hanging out at Bangkok airport.

good friend,

i Have a lupo 1.4 tdi and debited 189cv motor and 177cv's wheel .... I do not see the why of your enormous loss :/ the dyno is reliable?

gives a look at my project.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67245

Big hug.

the enormous loss is a way that a lot of UK Tuners dyno the cars. They majourly over-correct the results from the wheel power making it seem like the car is going much more power than it actually is!

A good example of this is:

My Bora TDI on Awesome's Rolling Road

185bhp @ Wheels

192bhp @ Flywheel

367lb/ft Torque

My Bora TDI on another UK Tuner's rolling road a week later

186bhp @ Wheels

201bhp @ Flywheel

366lb/ft Torque