1.8t lupo..

red

Hi people..

I suppose the question has been asked a million times before.. but can any one help me find out what's required on a 1.8 transplant on a lupo. ive got a 20v t corrado that I built which I'm planning to use the parts from..

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Andy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd rather have a 20v turbo Corrado with 323bhp 354 lb than put that engine in a lupo, at least you can fit big enough wheels so that the corrado will be drivable.

Red, would you like to explain why your doing it? Welcome to the board and i'm sure we'll follow the progress of yoru car with interest if you do it but your existing car sounds like the better drive and a few grand spent on it could make it perfect rather than throwing money at a lupo and it being slower and worse handling than your existing one.

I believe all the 20T engined cars have been detuned to lower the torque and power to around 300bhp and 250lb torque so that they could set decent times on the strip without burning up their front tyres. I believe the maximum width of the fronts was the limiting factor (225 i think) which struggle to put down more than 200bhp in the seat cupra R. The extra weight over the front end will also hurt the handling unless you have a very hard racing suspension setup and even then you'll get lots of understeer.

Depend what the car is for of course and how much you want to spend on it (make it rwd and then it could be fun) but 354lb and 325bhp through small front wheels even with a decent dif is going to be horrible to drive unless it's just for drag racing with slicks on it.

Mine will be finished in a matter of days rather than weeks. But know that to have a well performed transplant it will take a lot of work and mayor technical changes.

The easy way is for this engine to go in the corrado or stay there. Will save a lot of headaches biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(Crusoe)
Red, would you like to explain why your doing it? Welcome to the board .

Hi chap.

I've always had a soft spot for the Lupo's as they remind me of my Mk1 golf .. as for grip my car does well as i got a ATB diff and Dunlop formula R's also the suspensions hard as nails as i run a track `set-up` on the road. I love my corrado but.. I'm after something different...

if you could get it to work it would be the most powerful lupo out there, think there was one with over 300bhp before but it was detuned a bit and wasn't used on the road. Needed a custom bonnet for more cooling, custom engine mounts, hubs, wheels, brakes, custom arches, new driveshafts, gearbox, lots of bits moved in the engine bay to make space, some serious strengthening, new suspension and the list goes on. Think you'd be lucky to get change out of £20K if you wantted to do it propperly though i guess you will be doing most of the work yourself?

I say go for it if that's what you want! I'll be doing a conversion on mine in time. I had to do most of the stuff crusoe listed to my mk1 for that conversion anyway and you sound like you know what you're talking about from the corrado! :wink:

QUOTE(chris260)
I say go for it if that's what you want! I'll be doing a conversion on mine in time. I had to do most of the stuff crusoe listed to my mk1 for that conversion anyway and you sound like you know what you're talking about from the corrado!  :wink:

Cheers .. I'm hoping it wont cost 20k :shock: .. I've already spent a bomb on my engine and management :x .

We'll see how it goes.. as I've already made my mind up to go ahead with it..

Why not remove the rear seats, mid mount the 20v and go RWD.

a standard front wheels drive Loop couldnt really handle more than 200bhp.

The amount of 20v's running around now, thees nothing that special about it any more.

A 300+bhp RWD monster.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

i can't wait!!!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

im gonna be in heaven :roll:

@ red £20K was about what i guessed it would cost, you've obvously got some of the parts already and you could probably get wheels and brakes form the corrado too if you needed them.

base car, maybe £4K better to have a sport than a gti as the arches can then be widened and it's easier to work on steel than aluminium especially if you are changine the bonnet anyway.

engine & gearbox for 325bhp tune probably around £4K depending on how many miles was on the engine.

high power clutch and diff £1K

Ineterior (might as well spec it up with a roll cage and some nice leather seats if you're spending a lot elsewhere £2K

Suspension £1K

Wheels/Tyres £1K

Brakes £1K

Custom bonnet & wings £1K

Respray £1K

Custom manifold and exhaust £1K

Custom drive shafts £500

Some ball park figures but it depends a lot on the quality of the bits you buy and if you get them all new off the shelf. If someone was trying to get someone to do it for them thay'd probably need to spend abour £3K on labour and rolling roads to get it setup too.

Lots of nicer cars i'd rather spend 20K on but it will be interesting to see how the project works out. If i was doing it i'd go rear wheel or four wheel drive though. A wide body'd lupo with cut down R32 running gear beneath and a 300bhp+ engine would be something special smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(Crusoe)
@ red £20K was about what i guessed it would cost, you've obvously got some of the parts already and you could probably get wheels and brakes form the corrado too if you needed them.

base car, maybe £4K better to have a sport than a gti as the arches can then be widened and it's easier to work on steel than aluminium especially if you are changine the bonnet anyway.

engine & gearbox for 325bhp tune probably around £4K depending on how many miles was on the engine.

high power clutch and diff £1K

Ineterior (might as well spec it up with a roll cage and some nice leather seats if you're spending a lot elsewhere £2K

Suspension £1K

Wheels/Tyres £1K

Brakes £1K

Custom bonnet & wings £1K

Respray £1K

Custom manifold and exhaust £1K

Custom drive shafts £500

Alright Chap.. thanks for the advise ..

The engines gearbox and diff are already done matey I'll be getting more power from it soon as I'm running an equal length manifold..

I also already have the Brembo 4 pots and the design 90 wheels.. I'll be doing the work myself as well so it will be labour of love ..

I already have the seats and stuff

Rolling road not required as my motec has already been tuned to the `set-up`

should just be the price of the car and a few odds and sods, suspension and bushes crap like that

Battle of the Lupo's!!!! twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" /> twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" /> twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />