Lost my petrol cap

HappyPie

Hi

I've managed to leave my petrol cap at the petrol station when last filling up a week or so back, so now need a replacement. Annoyingly the lost cap was a lockable one. I assume if I get another lockable one it will have to be on a different key? Alternatively can I get a non-lockable one?

Any help?advice would be much appreciated.

HappyPie

Cheers for the reply.

Sounds like there maybe a standard non lockable version used on both the polo and lupo. ideally i would have liked to keep the cap lockable on the same key as the ignition but am guessing i would have to replace all the locks?!

HappyPie

My Polo has a non-lockable fuel cap as the flap only opens when the car is unlocked and I'm pretty sure it would fit.

There was a thread on here a long time back where someone wanted to replace the rubber 'hanger' on the petrol cap. VW only sell the cap as an entire unit with the rubber 'hanger' and a matched lock.

I think it was a tad expensive.

Had a quick look on ETKA, there is a lockable one and a non lockable one availiable for the Lupo.

So:

1J0 201 550 AS 9B9: Cap with retaining strap for fuel tank, sating black. Approx price £23

107 201 551 FG: Cap with retaining strap (lockable) for fuel tank *when ordering please indicate key and/or vehicle chassis number*. Aprrox price £44

If you do go to the dealers to buy, check and double check that they are supplying the correct parts you need. Don't just quote the part numbers. :)

So I take it that you could just put the non lockable one on? (cheaper option) Or can the dealers sort out a matching lock? They would probably charge a lot to do that, as Silver! said.

Many thanks for all the replies. I'm not a regular poster but am always amazed at how helpful people are on this forum.

The part numbers from 99hjhm are especially helpful. The price for the non lockable option one fits in with info i got from my local VW dealer today. However they were adamant that there wasn't a lockable version.

I'll go back and try them with the part number 99hjhm provided. I would quite like to keep the car original and if the lockable cap is £44 all in it seems better value than the non lockable one

Happypie

No a locking one is not required for an MOT.