OZ Routes 14" x 7J

195/45/14 Hankook Ventus K102

Parts to get :-

Rear Axle Bushes

Larger Master Cylinder

200mm Rear Drums

Handbrake Cable

Braided Hoses

All my welding was carried out by Gray & Dave from Retro Rides 07815 750 531 Based in Leigh. (Full resto, custom welding and mot work, basically anything) Really good prices

Here's the car back in the day, 2 formor owners ago, and the man who comissioned the conversion into lupo gti spec by AWTracksport, they are based up in lincoln way, which is where the car was born, it still has the original dealer stickers, and keyfob in good condition, since then its been to preston and manchester

MK1Polo.jpg

mk1poloengine.jpg

mk1polowish.jpg

I spotted it up for sale at &1500 quid on ebay with no bidders, full on sleeper spec as pics above with a full sd cage, emerald ecu and other goodies, however i bought this instead

mk1gtinearside.jpg

a year or two passed and i was finishing my last ever uni exams, and my side project (read: REAL disseratation =P ) was ready to go for its mot, maiden voyage was fine but the mot'rs were too busy to fit me in that day, so call back on monday.

unfortunatly this happened on the way there =[

DSC02790.jpg

devvoed at the loss of my baby, i was after another project and i saw the polo come up again for sale, this time as a rolling shell, most of the parts had been sold off.

at 400 quid i wasnt going to let the little car get away again, and popped up to see Trooper25 off Clubpolo in Preston who had bought it privately from ebay.

After chatting to him, he had wanted to use the car for rallycross, but the low lying sump meant the engine would need to be raised dramatically to be even viable, so he had stripped the motor completely and started seam welding the shell & removed the firewall as well as drilling out the spot welds on the seat runners and removing them but hadnt welded in seat rails with box section yet.

anyway he took a ride in a 205 gti mi16 and decided to sack off the poor little polo for something with real rallycross potential.

so i got the shell for 400 notes with the subframe and custom modifications

DSC00317-1.jpg

i then thought i should ask about the engine, is it still about, and his reply was you can have the engine and all the spares for 100 quid.

SCORE!

enginetop.jpg

So I was a happy bunny, another project to sink my teeth into.

DSC00387-1.jpg

I've done various bits on the car, wirebrushed and por-15d the interior, front and rear panels and engine bay on the hunt for rust and por-15d all the good metal after a dousing with metal ready, started building it the new rear axle to find some small holes under cracked underseal in the rear arches so I put a wanted up on RetroRides for some local welders

these guys sorted me out a treat

Gray & Dave from Retro Rides 07815 750 531 Based in Leigh. (Full resto, custom welding and mot work, basically anything) Really good prices

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=pfsw&thread=73142

anyway they carried out loads of bits for me

box section for bucket seats

rebuilding leading front edge of wing

couple of peppered small holes in inner rear aches - which was going to be the mot fail that set me off on wanting to get welding done on her

re-welding in of a mk1 gb mount as it was cut out when the lupo box was used

some various other holes around the body

blanking off heater matrix

welded up the exhaust on my mk2 afh conversion

made a few other custom bits for the engine conversions

, I would fully recommend the guys

so while the mk1 was away i was free to think about the powerplant, i always wanted the Polo GTI full lump and was going to wire it up oem but needed to many parts and i didnt want to overcomplicate things for a little lightweight blat about car. so then i got hold of some R1 ITBs with an inlet manifold for the engine, but that warranted for aftermarket management and mapping = mega money!

I have another car, a yellow mk2 and i converted that to a 1.4 16v AFH and was running it on bike carbs,

full thread here

Conversion FAQI wrote up to help collate all the knowledge i'd gained through reading on the net, friends and some experimentation

but i blew up the engine, bottom end was kaput, but the head and more importantly my shexy schrick cams were OK, so after reading about Jez's, Mitchells and others hybrid creations, i thought i want to retain the lupo block so i can call the car the lupolo, and by using an AFH head, i can use a set of bike carbs and a mk2 ignition setup which i have spare to get the engine up and running cheap and quickly in comparison to the steep start up costs of throttle bodies.

anyway details of the new engine

Mk4 1.4 16v AFH Head

Lupo 1.6 16v GTI Bottom End

CBR600 Carbs

Schrick Fast Road Cams

It will be running the lupo 5 speed gearbox, running a cable clutch conversion with the cable operated 5 speed shifted in the car

I used an afh headgasket, polo aex headbolts, afh relay roller(modified)

Note, 6n 1.0 AER & Non AVY GTI lumps have the correct length headbolts

6n Polo 1 Litre

036103384B

bolt, with multi-spilne socket head

M9X1,25X138 / AER,ALL

Lupo GTI

036103384B

M9X1,25X138 / AHW,AKQ,APE, AUA,BBY,AFK, ANM,AQQ,AUB

Polo GTI

036103384E

M9X1,25X97 / AVY

The correct part from GSF is

CYLINDER HEAD BOLT

PO 1.4 AFK/AHW/APE/AUA/AUB Engines 99> & PO 1.0 AER Engine 96>99

£2.00 each and you need 10.

the relay roller

part number 036109244

the guys made me a bar threaded to 10mm at one end to fit into the block and 8mm to fit through the sleeve of the roller, it was impossible to drill through for guys with thousands of pounds worth of machinery so don't bother trying it at home, I'm glad I didnt bother!

DSC02731.jpg

cambelt fitted and everything timed up, engine plate and alternator fitted

DSC02725.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

mated to the 5 speed lupo gearbox

DSC02889.jpg

DSC02890.jpg

disclaimer :- I've not ran the engine yet, so it may all end in disaster but no harm if it does, as if it doesnt, its going to be a little screamer

will add some pics in a bit of the current state after welding when ive got the bloody bluetooth working on my laptop

I've said it before about that Polo, but I'll say it again - it's nigh-on perfect!

:lol: cheers man, no where near perfect but i rag my cars haha :wub:

well some updates on the shell

i poked this bit of filler to reveal this

DSC00580.jpg

which when provoked more turned out to be a full rotton corner of the wing but all was done well by Gray.

DSC02920-1.jpg

DSC02919-1.jpg

this was welded up but i couldnt get decent pics of it after in the dark

DSC00492-1.jpg

Welded up heater matrix

DSC02913-1.jpg

seat rails

DSC02912-1.jpg

patched up some holes on the rear panel

DSC02915-1.jpg

mk3 gearbox mount back in

DSC02917-1.jpg

dewipered bootlid

DSC02916-1.jpg

mmm

DSC02914-1.jpg

DSC02925-1.jpg

so need to get the bare metal cleaned up, skim of filler on the external bits and por15 on the seat rails, and get a lick of primer and paint on the fresh welded bits, i can deal with mismatched paint at the moment

then i need to get some 200mm drums and finish rebuilding the rear axle, and rest of brake lines, get all those plumbed up and bled and the engine can go back in along with the bucket seats and harnesses.

inside in going to be bare as ****, just 2 buckets, harnesses and a fire extinguisher.

• 3 months later...

well after another sabbatical, work continues on the mk1 this weekend,

some goodies to fit

200mm passat rear drums, back plates, stub axles and wheel cylinders, new vw shoes and bearings.

DSC03122.jpg

256mm ebc x-drilled grooved discs, lucas 54 calipers and ferrodo ds3000 pads

and the new lump is nearly done, just need to get a water pump, gearbox and clutch kit and woop.

its now an 1.6 16v sporting Shrick Fast Road cams. laaarvly.

DSC03125.jpg

DSC03127.jpg

DSC03127.jpg

will get pics after this weekends frolics

DSC03132.jpg

DSC03133.jpg

DSC03134.jpg

done today

undersealed rear inner arches after welding

undersealed welded engine bits

sprayed and undersealed the bucket seat mounts

removed old 180mm drums

fitted 200mm back plates and stub axles

fitted bearing races into new 200mm drums

fitted handbrake lever and front part of handbrake cable

fitted wiper mech - need the clips, nuts and grommets to attach the spindle bits tho if anyone can help

ate donuts drank irn bru and got baked <3

tomo

keys

coupe s wheel

get brake lines made up

buy - 2 rear flexis, 1 wheel cylinder,handbrake cable

circlip for brake/clutch pedal x 1

cirlip for throttle cable x 2

dremel rounded rear brake line

fit rear drums, hb cable, brake lines

fit front calipers/discs/flexis

fit pedal box and pedals

steering column UJ

gear lever

fit wiring loom

studs for seats and fit

got 28 days till the unit gets turned into a helicopter pad =/ so thats my deadline to get it running and out of there, if anyone wants to come grab some free/cheap parts to save them from mr scrapman, pop over

wouldnt mind a helping hand too =D

anyway engine loom found in the unit, main earths connected and fusebox screw in place, battery fitted.

32129_432207751342_511441342_5929732_1645247_n.jpg

32129_432207756342_511441342_5929733_4749345_n.jpg

badly need the nuts and grommets for the wiper mechanism, anyone got any kicking about

6,7,8 wiper locknut and washers and any plastic or rubber gromets

084000.png

pics of seat mounted, pedal box and steering column fitted.

32129_432207766342_511441342_5929734_8152100_n.jpg

32129_432207776342_511441342_5929735_3465608_n.jpg

although i broke the clevis pin, so if anyone has one?

6a and 6b clevis pin

12 cirlcip

041000.png

engines internals cleaned, sprayed down, drained and wd40'd up, sump bolted on to stop dirt getting in, but not cleaned up the mating surfaces or gasket pasted them up yet.

32129_432207791342_511441342_5929738_2355794_n.jpg

32129_432207796342_511441342_5929739_5508089_n.jpg

32129_432207806342_511441342_5929740_3929023_n.jpg

just need a waterpump and i can get the tensioners fitted, head on and cambelt fitted. then i need to get hold of a 5 speed box, or just bolt ad's 4 speed in as a quick fix

finally found all my hub mounting bolts so the front brakes are on - lucas 54 calipers, ferodo ds3000 pads and ebc discs

DSC03292.jpg

DSC03285.jpg

200mm rear drums and v dutty powdercoated rear axle, still awaiting my rear handbrake cable, when thats here i can get the bearings fitted. gotta order me wheel cylinder and brake lines tomo, but still desperatly need a clevis pin pedal pushrod thing for the master cylinder and the MC spacer. should also get hold of an uprated suspension kit for the rear as these shocks are truely pwned but should be mot'able for time being

DSC03282.jpg

grille and lights fitted, bonnet just rested in place, got another black one but need to get the vent holes are the rear welded up

DSC03280.jpg

DSC03286.jpg

trial fitted top fill rad, unfortunatly its gonna require some slam panel butchery, i think rather than just messily cut it out, i've got various hole saws, so ill make a circular cut out big enough to pull the cap out from and notch the inner part of the panel so i can get some grippy action around das cap. id rather retain as much of the original slam in place for fear or it collapsing!

DSC03296.jpg

DSC03297.jpg

note the grille cut out in this pic, im going drill the panel behind it, and fit an air scoop as fitted on GT's iirc and feed that over the carbs, eventually getting round to sorting out a plenum chamber for them

DSC03289.jpg

random pics

DSC03279.jpg

DSC03293.jpg

then spent the rest of the time sorting out bits in the unit, getting rid of pap ill never need, and boxing up the rest ready for an ebay flex.

heres what i uncovered from the house alone, its all gonna go on ebay at 99p starts when i get round to putting them up (next week or two)but if anyone wants owt gimme a shout

Mk1 Golf

GTI Magnecor KV65 Competition Leads Red with 2 Cable tidys

GTI TSR Drilled Airbox

GTI K&N Panel Filter

GTI Warm Up Regulator 438 130 073

GTI Cam Pulley - 056 109 111A

GTI Lower Crank Alternator Pulley

GTI Water Pump + Near new thermostat+housing

GTI Near new Bosch Starter Motor 055 911 023B

GTI Drivers Engine Mount - Rubber needs replacing

GTI Rear Gearbox Mount + Rubber

GTI New Downpipe Gasket

GTI Complete Series 1 1600 Metering Head/Injectors/All Braided Lines/Fuel Filter

GTI Semi Polished Alternator

GTI Oil Cooler / Hoses / Mounting Brackets

GTI Series 1 Contact Breaker Dizzy - Near New Condensor & Contact Breaker 049 905 205E

GTI Series 1 Parcel Shelf

GTI Complete Series 1 1600 Head / Cam / Water Housing / Inlet Manifold / Throttle Body

GTI Short Driveshaft - Good condition, relatively new inner CV

Bosch Starter motor 055 911 023L

Gearbox Selector Shaft

New Tensioner Stud

New Linkage Rod Bush

Tintop 3Door Green Tint Glass Front Passenger/ Rear Drivers / Rear Windscreen

Tintop 3Door Clear Glass Rear Passenger

Polo

Mk1-3 Lower Strut Brace - Adjustable but ONLY for cars up to -40mm.

Mk2 Polo Coupe S Contact Breaker Dizzy - Near New Condensor & Contact Breaker 023 191 009 / 052 905 205

Mk2 Polo Coupe S Airbox/Filter/Elbow

Mk2 Polo Coupe S Exhaust Flexi Section

Mk2 Polo Coupe S Metal Cambelt Cover

Mk2 Polo Powdercoated Water Housing & Thermostat Housing 052 121 117 / 052 121 171C

Mk3 lower steering cowling cover 171 953 516B

Mk4 Polo 1.4 16v Power Steering Pump Pulley

Mk4 Polo 1.4 16v Power Steering Pump Pulley + Pulley

Mk4 Polo 1.4 16v Crankshaft Cambelt Sprocket

Mk4 Polo 1.4 16v - Plastic Dizzy Cover & Lead Tidy 036 103 565A

Mk4 Polo 1.4 16v Power Steering Pump Pulley

Mk5 Polo GTI 1.6 16v Inlet Manifold

Mk5 Polo GTI 1.6 16v Cylinder Head

Mk5 Polo GTI 1.6 16v Red Rocker Cover / Cams / Pulleys

Mk5 Polo GTI 1.6 16v Standard 4 Branch Manifold

Mk5 Polo GTI 1.6 16v Decat Downpipe

Mk5 Polo GTI 1.6 16v Flywheel

Mk5 Polo GTI 1.6 16v Engine Wiring Harness

Mk5 Polo GTI 1.6 16v HT Leads Red x 4

Lupo

Lupo GTI 1.6 16v Standard 4 Branch Manifold

Lupo GTI 1.6 16v Decat Downpipe

Lupo GTI 1.6 16v Hydraulic Clutch Release Cylinder 600 721 261A

Lupo GTI 1.6 16v Engine Wiring Harness

Others

VW Cable Change Conversion for Hydraulic Clutch Gearboxes

Coil used in Emerald Setup - 089 04B 00104 - Leads from top left, clockwise are 14,32,27,41

Audi 3 Pod 52mm Guage Facia - 812 863 321C

2.5" NOS Veglia Borletti 8 Bar Oil Pressure Guage

BMW Smaller, Lighter Power Steering Pump Pulley to fit Mk4 Polo 1.4 16v - 1715769

52mm VDO 150 degree Oil Pressure Guage

12" Slimline Fan

Opel Manta GTE Tartan Recaros

320mm Aftermarket Steering Wheel

Slimline Ali Rad 12"H 1.75"D 20.5"L 23.5" between mounting lugs

saturday

well productive day was had today,

we put nays mk3 polo back together after he took apart to change the headgasket and a few other bits, and i got to pilpher some much needed bits for the mk1, muchos kudos to nay

anyway bits done on the mk1

* rear wheel cylinders fitted both sides

* rear shoes fitted both sides

* got a nos handbrake cable but its such a random design, need to fathom it then i can fit it tomorrow

* new clevis pin fitted on the pedal box, all circlips in place and nos master cylinder fitted

* interior loom fitted

* dash fitted

* clocks/speedo cable fitted

* earthes fitted.

* made cut out for top fill rad

* mounted front number plate

* mounted both front seats

* fitted washers and locknuts for wiper mech and fitted wiper arms (well one, as the other has gone awol and they are mk1 polo specific!)

* bonnet catch and release lever fitted

* fitted new door seals

and the new oem shoes to keep with the lupo theme when i get hold of some tyres, if anyones got any 175/50 185/50 195/45 14 inch rubber lying around gimme a shout

Starlite1.jpg

picked up a new water pump today and getting at gt 5 speed box from dubmania tomo, so the engine should be in the car one evening next week, proper buzzing

list for tomo

horn + hornpush

rear handbrake cable

full brakes lines + bleeding

relay - lights

harnesses

ignition wiring loom/coil/tca

power distribution block

rear number plate light and heated rear windscreen

list for week

rear beam bushes

water pump / cambelt

oil pickup/sump

flywheel/clutch

clutch release bearing/gearbox

crane

bonnet/bonnet stay

parts list

clutch release bearing

gearshift base

afh starter motor

thats enough to jog my memory for tomorrow

couple of crap pics

DSC03302.jpg

DSC03303.jpg

DSC03304.jpg

sunday

fitted full new solid line and flexis, solid lines from rear are 15cm and 40cm too short so will get some extra lines made up in the week

DSC03309.jpg

DSC03306.jpg

fitted brake pedal return spring

wired up coil and ignition loom

working rear electrics, unfortunatly told the welder to weld up the hole for the numberplate light wiring DOH! so will drill that out

DSC03317.jpg

fiited water pump / cambelt and timed up engine, will refit sump tomorrow and then the lump is ready to go to the unit.

DSC03319.jpg

need to pick up das GT box from hoppys in the week and then chuck the engine in there woop