1.4 Tuning

Tigz™

As you know Im buying the Sport engine off Matt now hes been lucky enough to transplant the 1.8T.

The plan has always been to turbo the thing, but after hearing of bad experiances with Turbo'd 1.4s Ive been looking at other options.

Ive desided on a throttle body conversion.

Been speaking to our Low Loader driver whos son is building a RWD Mini powered by a CBR1000 engine.

It turns out he has a spare non running engine, so is going to check if he wants to do me a deal on the throttle bodies, fuel rail and injectors.

Also been in touch with a dude who can make up an adaptor for the inlet manifold. (Its a mate of the guy who did my chassis work)

Hes suppose to be a magician with alloy, so we'll have to see how that one goes.

Early days yet, but its a start.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the Idea Tigz! i liked my `turbo-1`.4 but is needs a lot of work to make it reliable. Take a look at what sorg motorsport (germany) did with throttlebodies on a polo engine. I read an article about the work they did on a 1.6 16v engine (polo) used throttlebodies and a lot of nice headwork. It made about 160hp.

QUOTE(Jabo)
Have thought about supercharging?

If I understand correctly you by changing fuel delivery system you want to be able to pump more fuel and have it mixed better, right?

Chargings alright, but the chargers a lot of extra weight.

Ya, instead of having the one body, theres four, so a lot more fuel can be mixed.

Works like carbs but with injectors.

QUOTE(Arvid)
Take a look at what sorg motorsport (germany) did with throttlebodies on a polo engine. I read an article about the work they did on a 1.6 16v engine (polo) used throttlebodies and a lot of nice headwork. It made about 160hp.

Thanks buddy I'll take a look at that, still need to read up on this, as the only knowlage I have is what Cliffords gone through with me.

Yes but the cost of it wouldnt make it worth while.

I can do it on the cheap, by useing self febricated manifolds and bike bodies.

Only thing I'll need to buy full price will be the ECU and Cams.

Oh, and a exhaust.

Bike bodies will be fine. Ask your inlet man to make ports on the inlet follow the same arc as the inlet ports on the head or you will loose a bit of power. Also make sure it is plenty long enough. From the tip of the ram pipe to the centre of the inlet valve needs to be about 400mm. For an ECU on the cheap you can use a Peugeot unit. Check out www.chipwizards.co.uk for all the info. The bloke does my mapping and is crap hot.

Great idea! Will sound amazing too!! There was a bloke on the clubgti trackday scene that was running a mk3 polo with either a 1.4 16v or 1.6 16v on bodies. That thing is seriously quick!! Always used to have the quickest times!

Nice one buddy thats for your help.

Ive just dropped him a line to see if he can help out.

The engines not going in untill 2006 so theres no rush, just wanna get everything together ready.

What diffrence does the size of the ram pipe make?

Dude, Im gonna need help fitting it, I think a CL fitting meet is a must. lol

I want tune tune the engine before it goes in.

Si is getting me a price for the head work.

Then a couple of week before international 2006 Im gonna fit it and pray it works! lol

The warrenty doesnt run out untill June, but I have put my foot down and told her that I am voiding the warrenty a month early as there is no way Im gonna miss kicking a mk3vr ass up the track.

1. To beat that ******* who took the piss out of my `0-54mph` `0-60` *couff* sprint, on the vr owners club forum.

2.And most of all to finally shut up my vr mate who has taken the piss out of my car for too long.

I cant wait to beat his GTTDi 115 Golf.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I dont know.

£100 for the boddies, injectors, and rail (if he desides to sell the spare CBR bodies)

£400 for cams (after talking to Clifford and ross I think im gonna go rough with these)

£300 (ish) for the ECU.

£50 for the inlet manifold adaptor.

£unsure of the head work as yet.

I should be able to fit it all so should save on fitting costs.

Pay someone to set it up (although im hoping some clever CL members may be able to help me do this biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> )

I've already got most of the parts for the brakes.

A friend of Darren has a 1.4 16v Corsa Sport on throttle boddies which I think has 160bhp.

If done right (bare in mind, ive never done anything like this before) it should be able to take a standard GTi.

Done right it will be quicker than a GTI. Make sure you use the Sport gearbox. This engine has a totally different head to the GTI and there are more cams available, from Schrick anyway. If you're getting the head done, go for the gnarliest hydraulic profile they do.

QUOTE(Dogwood)
Make sure you use the Sport gearbox.

I am useing a Sport Gearbox, but why is it important?

QUOTE(Dogwood)
This engine has a totally different head to the GTI and there are more cams available

Thats why I wanted to use the 1.4 over the 1.6, seen the problems members have had trying to tune the GTi.