Electric window, Central locking problems on Lupo GTi

I recently replaced the electric window fuse and all was well.

The last couple of days the fuse has blown again and the drivers window now wont work and when you press the up position on the drivers panel for the passenger window, the passenger window continues to go down.

When I put a new fuse in, it is sparking before I have even put the key in the ignition.

Could it be a live lead earthing out on metal somewhere ??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by RallyeBaz

• 3 weeks later...

Checked the rubber boot connecting the door and that seems intact.

Bought a new switch from VW and the drivers window is still not working, although its no longer blowing the fuse.

Getting no clicking noise when I press the drivers window switch.

Passenger window goes down, when pressing the passenger switch on the drivers panel, although wont go back up.

I had a mechanic friend look at the car today and it looks like its the Central Locking module causing all the problems. (Doors wont close using the remote, Electric windows wont work, Central locking has a mind of its own and the electric window fuse pops as soon as you put a new fuse in)

Seems to be a common problem on other VW models if you search on the net under 'VW central locking module'

Looks a pig of a job to get to behind the dashboard. Popping to my local VW garage tomorrow as rumour has it only they can do the job as they need to syncronise the key with the central locking.

Have many people had problems with their electric windows on the lupo?

The passanger side window clicks when you try and open it but no movement. Any gueses?

The driverside switch is ok but the connector to the loom section has water damage. Does anyone know where i can get a new connector, or have one for sale?

You can sync the key yourself, there is a guide in the How To section IIRC

Thats only the remote, need the imobiliser coding.

The Central Locking module is a cow to get too, Might be a dash out job.

** Update **

Car went into the non franchised garage yesterday and today got a call confirming its not the Central Locking module (Phew as that is £200+)

The passenger window fuse point is currently producing 40 amps. (Fuse is 25 amps)

Turns out after removing the insulating tape, that a load of wires have fused together just inside the drivers door.

Edited by RallyeBaz

• 2 weeks later...

Just had exactly the same central locking/window/alarm problem with my GTI. In my case the mechanic repaired each of the damaged cables (9 were broken and 4 fused together). Whole job took about 5 hours! His view was that the cabling wasn't sufficiently specced for long term use. Mine is a 2000 X reg and has done 60K so has seen quite a few years opening and shutting of the door as well as seasonal temperature changes that contribute to the cable becoming brittle. By the sounds of it these sort of problems will become more frequent for lupos as they get older. Either that or people will put up with gradually loosing various bits of their electrics. I can't help thinking that some of the problems others have had with window switches may in fact be down to the cabling.

I'd be interested to know how much installation of the harness cost RallyeBaz as my guy seemed to imply it would be quite a job due to difficulties accessing behind the dashboard. On the upside he did say that VWs were better than pugs which normally go just as they go out of warranty.

Happy Pie

That doesn't look good! Never heard of that happening before one a Lupo either :wacko:

Just had exactly the same central locking/window/alarm problem with my GTI. In my case the mechanic repaired each of the damaged cables (9 were broken and 4 fused together). Whole job took about 5 hours! His view was that the cabling wasn't sufficiently specced for long term use. Mine is a 2000 X reg and has done 60K so has seen quite a few years opening and shutting of the door as well as seasonal temperature changes that contribute to the cable becoming brittle. By the sounds of it these sort of problems will become more frequent for lupos as they get older. Either that or people will put up with gradually loosing various bits of their electrics. I can't help thinking that some of the problems others have had with window switches may in fact be down to the cabling.

I'd be interested to know how much installation of the harness cost RallyeBaz as my guy seemed to imply it would be quite a job due to difficulties accessing behind the dashboard. On the upside he did say that VWs were better than pugs which normally go just as they go out of warranty.

Happy Pie

Hi,

The electric windows had been playing up over the last 6 months. My car is a 2001 model with 88k on the clock.

Got stung with 6.25 hrs as the non franchised garage stripped both doors and accessed the Central Locking control module (Thought it was that first after taking some advice). Labour charge was nearly £350 !!!.

Hi

6.25 hrs sounds about right.

My mechanic just stripped the driver's door but said the process manouvring the wiring was really fiddly and that access under the dash was extremely poor. I've been using him for years on a variety of cars and he really is excellent. Altho he said it took him 5 to 6 hrs to do the work involved he only charged me for 3 hrs plus materials so my £100 bill seems a bit of a bargain. Only down side is that he mixed up the windows on the driver's door window switch. Given the hassle of this job I don't feel inclined to ask him to undo his work so I'll just get used to it being the other way round!

Many thanks for the updates and pics which helped speed up my diagnosis. I think other cars as they get older will undoubtedly suffer this issue.

HappyPie

Hi,

The electric windows had been playing up over the last 6 months. My car is a 2001 model with 88k on the clock.

Got stung with 6.25 hrs as the non franchised garage stripped both doors and accessed the Central Locking control module (Thought it was that first after taking some advice). Labour charge was nearly £350 !!!.

Hi

6.25 hrs sounds about right.

My mechanic just stripped the driver's door but said the process manouvring the wiring was really fiddly and that access under the dash was extremely poor. I've been using him for years on a variety of cars and he really is excellent. Altho he said it took him 5 to 6 hrs to do the work involved he only charged me for 3 hrs plus materials so my £100 bill seems a bit of a bargain. Only down side is that he mixed up the windows on the driver's door window switch. Given the hassle of this job I don't feel inclined to ask him to undo his work so I'll just get used to it being the other way round!

Many thanks for the updates and pics which helped speed up my diagnosis. I think other cars as they get older will undoubtedly suffer this issue.

HappyPie

He actually spent over 10 hrs fixing/finding the fault although only charged me the 6.25hrs as I had already mentioned I don't want to be spending £400 on labour finding a fault.

LOL @ mixing the window switches.

Could not find hardly anything on this subject when I was investigating the faults. Hopefully it will save future GTi owners being raped on high labour charges trying to find the fault.

• 3 weeks later...