AFH Conversion

MdBrOoN

Yo, the drivers side engine mount can be taken straight out of the polo, or you can use the rubber mounting bit from the lupo, theyre the exact same.

Im running the lupo injection system with the polo loom and ecu, most of it plug straight in, but a bit of splicing is required for headlights and a few other things.

Inlet manifold and throttle body and everything all fit on, gearbox fits on, no need to change any mounts on that. the exhaust manifold from the lupo fits on the afh, but the headers on the lupo are smaller, so you'd be better with either an aftermarket one or just the standard afh one, there are a few going on ebay just now.

Hopefully that helps, i cant get pictures just now as im at uni, but im back home in a couple of weeks after my exams have finished so ill get some then.

Feel free to ask any more questions and il do my best to help :)

• 4 weeks later...

Small update, went for the mot yesterday and it failed because the abs light never came on when ignition was turned on, however the abs isn't wired up as the AFH loom came from a car without abs. Is there any way around this, or am i gonna have to fork out for another loom? Never heard of this problem before so hopefully someone can help, cheers!

where did you take it?? Technically it is a fail...however a lot of places would actually pass it. It would also be worth chatting with the mechanic and actually explaining why you don't have ABS he would probably pass it then

It was my dads mate's garage, who sometimes gets my dad through a dodgy mot for emmisions on his kit car, so i'll get my dad to have a chat with him, as i really can't be bothered changing the loom and i binned all the sensors as well. Cheers for your help mate, will let you know how i get on

@ Mitchell, is this just a simple case of removing the pump, or would i need to change brake lines as well, had a look earlier and not quite sure where to begin.

Cheers again for your help

• 3 weeks later...

I can't see them being able to fail the car for not having abs light, as not all cars have abs so it isn't a legal requirement to have a light !

Ive been told by a mechanic that my best bet would be to make my own pipes from copper going from the cylinder to where the abs module used to be, and use 2 t pieces to join them to each wheel (1 goes to NSF and OSR and the other OSF and NSR) , does any one know what diameter of piping and fitting nut things i will need? and any tips on how to make the pipes? The guy who does my mot phoned up the VOSA and they won't let me pass without removing everything abs related which is a pain in the ass.

Again, any help is much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Removed the pump and piped it up as explained above and it works a treat, mot tester said its fine and should pass ok when it goes for its test tomorrow, can't wait!

Will get some pictures of it all up at some point.

I have a farvennugen tuning ( however you spell it) chipped ecu to fit , heard nothing but good things about them on club polo, and am saving up to get a raceland manifold, as the exhaust flow is definetly restricted.

Toying with the idea of bike 'bodies, but more than happy just to get it back on the road again!

Cheers again for all the help

Mark

• 1 month later...

Had the car up crail today for the first time with the new engine, also with new raceland manifold, chiped ecu, new custom induction kit and decent tires and ran a 15.5 which i was more than happy about.

however whilst waiting in line for another run up, heard a knocking noise from the bay. opened the bonnet and noticed my power steering pump was hanging off.

went to turn the engine off but was too late and the alternator belt wrapped round the crank pulley and stalled the engine. Fixed the pump( the bolts had sheared off) and got a new alternator belt on, tried to start the car and there was no compression what so ever. Beginning to think that somehow the alternator belt getting wrapped round the crank pulley has caused the timing belt to skip ( the car was idling when this happened). so i'm praying if this is the case that the valves are alright! when cranking over there isn't any knocking noises that i would assume bent valves would make ,also there was the occasional back fire i think coming back through the inlet. any one able to shed any light?

Cheers, Mark

bent valves slightly, my bottom pulley sheared off so i had to rebuild it all. bad news i guess.

ah slight descrepancy. well ill get the car back tomorrow and see what the crack is with the timing, the first time i tried to start the engine, one of the cam pulleys were a tooth out, made a racket but still ran but rough as. after refitting the cam belt it ran fine after so keeping fingers crossed just now although its not looking good

Cheers again

yeh chances are you have just kissed the edges of the valve's, two of mine were well bent but others looked fine, however poured liquid down ports with valves shut and they let it through when shut,while the heads off upgrade thge block to arc or avy 1600.

Aye it was going well, absolutely gutted. turns out the timing had jumped so i re fitted the belt and there's still no compression so i think its definetly the valves, gonna take the head off tomorrow. This car has been through the bloody war haha

Turns out that the inlet valves were bent, ordered new valves, head set and stem seals from ecp £120 altogether coulda been worse i suppose.

DSC01106.jpg

just a wee bit bent eh!

Well as you can see, got the valves out, and the seals, now just waiting on the new bits to arrive ( paid the extra £4 for next day delivery and they never even came!)

Also trying to hunt out my dad's dremel, think it is lost in the jungle of the shed somewhere, fancy giving the head a small port and polish while the heads off, unfortunately don't have the money or time to swap for a 1600 bottom end just now maybe next time!

• 2 years later...