project Arosa / budget dog

olethalb

Hi chaps, on saturday the 16th i bought a bargain bucket red 98 1.0 arosa for a project car.

the bodywork is pretty poor, it's got 164k on the clock, i think the springs are chopped, the interior is mank, it's rocking some 14" ibiza rims with 70 profile rubbers and the brakes are rubbish! but on the plus side it's got tax and came with a stealth shelf and a decent cd player.

my daily is a 270bhp bora 1.8t that has just been featured in feb max power, i've done alot of vag engine conversions but never done an arosa mainly 1.8T's into mk2/3/4 golfs couple of vr6's, polo g40 conversions and gti swaps. also built the countrys first polo 6n2 fitted with g40 lump.

i was going to slap a 1.8t in the arosa but i've fitted alot of these and purchased the arosa to be a fun car so may stick to a small block conversion for this one.

i'm undecided what direction it'll take yet, i've got a few odd ideas, just purchased some gti front brakes / hubs and going to look at some 16v seats and coilovers.

i'll post some pics up later if it's not too dark (i haven't seen it in the daylight yet) and you can have a good laugh.

Olly

Edited by olethalb

thanks chaps, i may try something different this time round i've done gti swaps before and thet're ok but the gearbox woes are always in the back of your mind.

crazy ideas so far include,

1600 8v on bike carbs

1400 civic lump of sorts

bike engine

i'm not decided where i'm going with it yet, it will be low and will have some custom body mods of some sort.

here's the chopped down version of my bora build thread with feature on the last page.

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=271399

Olly

Edited by olethalb

thanks chaps, i just had a quick look round the arosa and it's much as i expected. the body is pretty poor along with the interior. the parcel shelf is smart though + is in classifieds as i won't be using it.

took some quick pics too

arosared001.jpg

arosared002.jpg

arosared003.jpg

arosared004.jpg

arosared005.jpg

arosared007.jpg

arosared008.jpg

Olly

Bargain Arosa's are great.

Those steels are the same as the ones I had on mine.

Add an extra few inches in width and you're onto a clear winner.

Polo GT lump with bike carbs would be a good choice

4844_196736455245_530310245_7385219_2522530_n.jpg

got me bits today, polo 16v seats, 256mm hubs with new vag bearings/ calipers + ebc greenstuff pads, 2 x 16v arb's, rear beam with built in arb from 16v and 2 x new front coilovers - sticking to the bargain bucket guidlines - paid £100 for the lot!

rear bench and 1 x arb not required so up for grabs.

arosared19110001.jpg

arosared19110002.jpg

arosared19110004.jpg

arosared19110005.jpg

Olly

thanks chaps - i think i'm going to go for a 1.6 possibly up front, sold the tank now. handling / fun is going to be the main direction for the arosa not power.

also custom body mods will be coming, maybe a diy paint job etc, it's a cheap dog i can experiment with it without worrying about destroying a nice car. think i'll rip out the rear interior this week, cut out the wheel well and lower the back.

arosa van....maybe??

it was Kam, you know how things go - i'm going to try and do this including buying it for under 1k, the bora got too serious and i got carried away with it, this will be a fun project/ experiment car.

Olly

Top words there.