Got pulled for my wheels.

JamesU

Right...

Was driving normally, lights come on and i get the "Police Finger" (Pull over dickhead)

Was told to get out the car - asked about my wheels, my MOT, insurance etc.

Basically my wheels are illegal, they stick out too much...

I said "Im not one to argue with the police, but i was on the understanding that because it'd a grey area the law actually says that its the tread that needs to be inside or in line with the arch - which is the reason for my stretch and camber"

They asked me to sit in the car and they'd just check with their boss, so they radio'd him, as this was going on one came over to me and was just explaining what he was doing, i apologised for arguing the situation, his reply was "Nah its alright, end of the day its your car and you're an enthusiast so its fair enough, you're being good as gold"

Their boss said it was illegal...

They said the only other thing they could do is take it to the VOSA station which was about 10 mile away, but the only downfall there is - if its deemed as dangerous or unacceptable they have the right to keep the car there until further notice...so sod that.

I have 7 days to take my licence, insurance and current MOT certificate to the station, and 14 days to get my rear wheels changed and a piece of paper they gave me stamped by an MOT station to say i've changed them.

I cant remember what he said about if im caught with them again though, is it the usual 3 points per corner?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I understand the C&U regs, the top of the tread must be covered by either the bodywork or wheel arch (like a cycle wing) and the wheel must not protrude further than the widest part of the bodywork (and door mirrors might not count because they are deforemable).

Ask them to tell you directly, in a "OK you've got me, please educate me so that I can be a responsible car modder" kind of way, what C&U law you have broken and how you can make amends.

Check with the manufacturer of your tyre. Give them the tyre size and rear wheel width. If they say that it IS type approved for use with that particular width, get them to put it in writing and fax it to you.

It only has to be a simple letter written on a letterheaded paper.

In terms of camber, I'm not sure if the MOT covers any kind of wheel alignment so I doubt you are breaking any MOT Laws there unless the tyres are worn to excess on the inside.

I had the exact same situation!

Pulled for saying poked out, could have killed someone ... (wing mirrors anyone?)

Said sort it out blah blah. I basically acted dumb to him like.. orly? Its illegal??

So then I put a wider arch on the rear sleight enough to cover the rears tread.

Havent been pulled in a year and a half since.

Oh, also said, lucky it wasnt a traffic cop, he would have fined you and had 3 points per wheel.

Edited by DarkStryder360

Tell me...

Is the '3 points per corner thing real', cause I had this with my MG, some know it all said the two sticking out towing eyes, number plate stuck on top of the bonnet, wrongly coloured indicator lens, and side exit exhaust would equal 15 points???

Those arches make me lol every time I see them. The arch line is like an old man with his pants pulled up to high.

I'm guessing if you get caught again it'll be 6 points + a fine. I never had any issues with my G60s and I got pulled a couple of times with them on. The only time I've ever got a tanking off the cops before is when I had the Astra with no springs. But I think even I was pushing my luck with that :lol:

What do i do then?

Im going next saturday to take my documents - i know the law states that if i take my documents and that, then im admitting im in the wrong.

And al, i dont think speaking with VW and asking if 8j are made for lupos will get a "Yeah" response haha.

Does anyone know about a law that states about the tread and the widest part of the body thing? So i can take it to the station with me?

I'd go to court for this tbh, as long as im sure im in the right.

And al, i dont think speaking with VW and asking if 8j are made for lupos will get a "Yeah" response haha.

No you ****. The manufacturer of the tyres... Jesus how did you even get that wrong?

Al, it stuck out on the car - they complained of the poke, not the stretch or tyre.

I could have 10j wheels on, with perfectly legal tyres. Write to the company who make the tyre and they tell me it was approved for the tyre. But it wouldnt make it legal on a lupo.

But if no tread is showing and the tyre as you say there isn't and the tyre manufacturer agree with the combination then the police have absolutely no grounds to ticket you. I'm trying to help here ffs.

Im not arguing, i just didnt see the point in the first post.

And if they do write back saying it can be approved, where do i go from there?

The tyre wall sticks out of the arch, the tread however - doesnt.

I need to find the written law document that states about the tread showing or the poke - or something! :(

And if they do write back saying it can be approved, where do i go from there?

The tyre wall sticks out of the arch, the tread however - doesnt.

You go back to the MOT Test station with the Faxed/Written confirmation along with photos from above showing you clearly have no tread showing whilst at the MOT Test station. Then you go back to the police and say: "OK You let me off now k thx bye"