Flip Keys

i have done this before on my mk3 golf, as long as u have central lockin it will work, u jus need the kit from the website, or ebay and plug n play, then get the spare key cut at a ey cuttin shop, works a treat, if u need any help i can help any way as mine was easy to do and have helpped few mates

i was wandering if them fobs would work on the standard gti alarm system? was thinking the internals may be the same as the vw minus the trasponder! i have just bought 2 transponders so need keys that will program to the central locking now :)

I did the flip keys yonks ago to my GTI and the originals are the way to go. The remote can sync with the car (4 remotes max) and the imobiliser chip needs to be taken out of the old key and put into the flip key............then just take a blank flip key blade with your original key and get it cut.

I got my remotes off eBay and they were in VGC.........almost new for about £30 the pair.

You will need the squarish style button Golf/Passat 434mhz 3 button remotes not the earlier 433Mhz rounded buttons..........the boot button also becomes active on the GTI, well it did on mine and a few others if you get the right remote.

Open up the remote......there is a hidden screw under the VW badge and swap the imobiliser chips over.

Get the blade cut to match your original

Code the remote to the car.........an easy 10min procedure using the door lock and a key in the ignition........procedure on the internet some where.

Job Done

i was wandering if them fobs would work on the standard gti alarm system? was thinking the internals may be the same as the vw minus the trasponder! i have just bought 2 transponders so need keys that will program to the central locking now :)

Do you already have 2 keys??

Any transponders you buy will need programming at a dealer, or somebody who really knows VAG-COM well.

Me and MikeM both used keys with a AH suffix part number, these are 3 button, and seem to open the GTI boot. Don't get any keys that are listed for a Golf Mk5 or Jetta, as they wont function correctly... Due to Can-Bus, even thought they are 434mhz.

eBay is the best place for keys as Mike said.

This is the procedure for programming the new remotes, providing you haven't de-locked the car...

VW/AUDI/SEAT/SKODA

Remote Control Programming (1997 ON)

Procedure

1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second

key.

3. Using the remote control press the Unlock button once, and the horn

will sound once.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding

procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.

NOTE : When performing programming on additional remotes the procedure

is the same, except you press the unlock button 2, 3 or 4 times for the

different remote.

For example : If programming 2 remotes press the unlock button twice with

a 1 second interval between each press, repeat for 3 and 4 remotes.

5. Switch Ignition OFF.

6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation.

7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes.

8. The ignition must be switched OFF between programming each remote

control.

Remote Control Erasing (1997 ON)

Procedure

1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second

key.

3. Press the remote control unlock button 5 times in 1 second intervals.

A short horn will sound.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate memory

erase.

5. Switch ignition OFF, all remotes are now erased.

Models Covered:

· Lupo

· Polo

· Golf

· Bora

· Passat

· Sharan (Only Mk2 models as far as I know though)

Think it's easier to do one key at a time though. I had to press the un-lock button twice with a 6 second interval for it to beep.

few pictures that might help......

All the bits.... The transponder that comes with the key is below the screw... This is different to the Lupo type.

DSCN4345.jpg

Screw location..... Easy way is to spear the badge and get a new one, saves damaging the key.

DSCN4348.jpg

My little collection

DSCN4398.jpg

Location of the transponder in the Lupo key. (Transponder removed)

DSCN4364.jpg

Lupo transponder fitted into the flip key

DSCN4354.jpg

Roll pin needs to be taken out to remove the key blade for cutting.

DSCN4366.jpg

One other thing... The key blades are not laser cut, and do not require laser cutting, and don't have to be cut at a dealers. Most Timpsons wont cut the keys, not because they can't, but "Computer says Noo!!" They only cut keys that there computer device says they can cut. Look for a car locksmith, or small key cutting place.

I spent ages emailing and searching forums before I started playing with the flip keys, so know a little bit about them.

• 10 months later...

I just used little screwdriver and when I tried it I snapped the first one so I just gently done it but it flicked out and went miles took about 10 mins searching for it. Anyone with the flip keys had problems with the screws for the blade falling out?

Once the screw is out I usually leave the casing in the freezer for about an hour and then with my sharp swiss army knife slide between the joint and twist to split them apart........it usually works a lot better than when the casing is not warm/hot for me :)

Edited by Mike_M

Couple of tips here (as I spent ages trying to sort out a flip key for my Arosa) - don't try to buy a transponder chip off eBay, as you will almost certainly be sold the wrong sort. I got mine correctly supplied by a car locksmith (who tried to program the one I had been sold [incorrectly], then gave me one from his stock). Also the programming of the remote locking portion of the key is not as easy as it sounds - I have now given up trying to get the remote to work (none of the key press sequences would work on my car) , just use the key to manually unlock the car. Lastly, do be aware that a flip key is a bit bigger, when it's in the ignition, than a standard key - so it's closer to the back of the steering wheel.

Am I the only person who doesn't like flip keys? I have them for the Dune and just don't get them I also find that I have often put them in my pocket open.

I say: Brink back real keys!!! :lol:

I did the flip key mod first about 4 or 5 years ago and they are still working fine today.

No issues with syncing them to the car either........I just had to put my key door barrel back on the car for the sync method

I had experimented with a number of flip keys and found that Golf/Passat flip key ending in AH worked fine on my GTI and the boot release button became active as a bonus.

Does anyone know if this would work? I really want to get flip keys!

No, thats just an empty case.

You could buy that and a crappy second hand key and swap the parts over, thats the cheapest way.

As Mike said, keys with a AH suffix on the part number seem to work fine on the GTI.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what other flip keys work? I can't seem to find any keys with AH. if anyone has a link to one then it would be very much appreciated! :)

I don't think that the actual key is the problem, it's the circuit board that is inside. And they are practically impossible to come across, so that's why it's better to keep searching for the right key.

I found searching 'VW Key AH' on ebay did better than 'VW Flip Key AH'.

I've just bought one for £14.95, complete (used).

I've also got a new one, so I'm going to try and transfer the used guts into the new one.