1.8 20v turbo conversion questions

st200_john

hi all,

i have a 6n2 polo (i know this is lupo forum, but its better than the polo one)

ive done a search with loads of results, but im new to all this and im very confused,lol

what id like to know is, whats needed to fit a 1.8 20v t engine to a polo?

here is a list of things i think i need/to do

engine (audi tt 225???) which is easiest to use???

golf gearbox from mark 4 gti??? again which is easiest to use?

donor engine loom,ecu,ignition and key?

are custom engine and gearbox mounts needed?

how about drive shafts and brakes?

what exactly is involved with the changing of the engine loom and engine mounts?

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

john

it all depends on the type of throttle body you use currently wether its drive by wire or flyby wire if its drive by wire the agu code would be easier to fit as this uses a throttle cable where as the bam code is flyby wire. for the conversion you will need engine, front loom, ecu you wont need the rear loom as the transponder can be bypassed and you can keep your clocks, all engine and gearbox mounts will have to be custom fabricated, as for gearbox its much easier to use the 02a found in the mk2 and 3 16v abf golf gti rather than the 02j found in the mk4 golf gti as its cable operated rather than hydrolic, if your planning on running bigger power then i suggest you upgrade the clutch and flywheel to a g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch as the dual mass clutch on the 1.8t,s has a tendancy to give up the ghost pretty quickly, as for drive shafts you can have them custom made but its much cheaper to use mk3 16v ones and have them cut and welded i know plenty of people who do this and run them on big bhp power cars so there hardly gonna fail on a polo. other things you need to consider is cooling such as is the fan in your polo gonna be able to cope keeping the engine cool if its a 2 speed it should be ok also is your radiator big enough another thing to bear in mind is an intercooler, its easy to go on eaby and buy one cheaply however because the engine will be so tight in the bay of a polo the inlet and outlet of the intercooler may need to be altered which may mean having a custom intercooler made which is what im having to do and they aint cheap. you may also have to relocate the battery and expansion tank bottle to the boot to gain space as for brakes the easiest and cheapest option is to upgrade to the 280mm g60 setup which can be bought for as little as £150 on eaby and edition38. hope this helps

Edited by dubsy

for the wiring all you need is the front engine bay loom from the 20v engine as for the intercooler yes it would be front mounted but it may have to have the inlet and outlet in custom positions on the intercooler and as for driveshafts if you use an 02a gearbox you can use the drive shafts for that box and have them cut down to size and welded up

Edited by dubsy

its not as easy as that the the mounts and shafts would have to be made up as the conversion was being done with the engine out and new engine ready to go in you couldnt make them up on request without this they are bespoke items

i would very much doubt that they would remember the exact measurements but its worth a try asking them, as for the front loom its not a big job but im not doing the electrics on my 20v conversion a guy called andy outhwaite is google qpeng it has a lot of info about the 20v conversion on the site which may help you

i would very much doubt that they would remember the exact measurements but its worth a try asking them, as for the front loom its not a big job but im not doing the electrics on my 20v conversion a guy called andy outhwaite is google qpeng it has a lot of info about the 20v conversion on the site which may help you

When's it going to Andy to do the loom? I wouldn't mind a look :lol:

Andy Outhwaite isn't called "Loom God" for nothing, haha. Some of the things he can do with regards to VAG wiring looms is simply incredible.

When's it going to Andy to do the loom? I wouldn't mind a look :lol:

Andy Outhwaite isn't called "Loom God" for nothing, haha. Some of the things he can do with regards to VAG wiring looms is simply incredible.

andy and andy are doing the whole conversion liam, both him and the other andy are very nice and very knowledgable guys, he talked me out of using qpeng management which im glad he did becauase it aint cheap and oem is so much more reliable, i just need to pick my abf gearbox, shift tower and shafts which ive sourced through a mate and buy a cheap runabout get xmas out of the way and in itll go in thats if can stop wasting money on shiney things i keep seeing, 20v conversions and having money dont go hand in hand lol

Edited by dubsy

andy and andy are doing the whole conversion liam, both him and the other andy are very nice and very knowledgable guys, he talked me out of using qpeng management which im glad he did becauase it aint cheap and oem is so much more reliable, i just need to pick my abf gearbox, shift tower and shafts which ive sourced through a mate and buy a cheap runabout get xmas out of the way and in itll go in thats if can stop wasting money on shiney things i keep seeing, 20v conversions and having money dont go hand in hand lol

Good choice taking it to Andy and Andy the attention to detail and the quality of work they do is amazing for the money, you've only got to look at Gareth's Vento to agree! They're doing some awesome cars this Winter too.

Oh, and my VR6 clutch next week or so. :lol:

thanks for your help so far ,been a big help

il have a few more questions for you on the weekend

thanks

john

no probs john

what part of the loom do you need? I know it will be injections. all the exhaust. but will they have to intergrated into the original ecu?

you will need the entire front loom which means all lines to the coilpacks, battery, lights, lambda etc its all one peice in a sense, if you need a pic of what you need i will try to put one up at the weekend, all of which would be used with the 20v ecu

Good choice taking it to Andy and Andy the attention to detail and the quality of work they do is amazing for the money, you've only got to look at Gareth's Vento to agree! They're doing some awesome cars this Winter too.

Oh, and my VR6 clutch next week or so. :lol:

i agree within 5 minutes of talking they were asking me on how id like the engine to look, polish, chrome, powdercoat most people are still scratching their heads working out how they are going to get the engine in top top guys

• 1 month later...

i agree within 5 minutes of talking they were asking me on how id like the engine to look, polish, chrome, powdercoat most people are still scratching their heads working out how they are going to get the engine in top top guys

Thread resurrection here! Im thinking about management for my mk1 now, after being sold on qpeng plug and play for ages! But its £850 and then id still like to get it fine tuned on the rollers. Im not good on the wiring side so im cacking it a bit but OEM keeps cropping up with people saying its not too difficult and miles better. I just have no idea how the AGU loom and ECU splices into the mk1 loom? :coffee:

• 5 years later...