bent conrod - Arosa 1.7sdi

rosebarn

Hi there

I recently bought a car from ebay for my daughter. (private seller / paid using paypal)

Everything seemed fine except there was a vibration when I started the engine.

I took the car to a local garage for a service and asked them to check out the vibration problem.

They first said it could be the cambelt but have now said its likely to be a bent conrod.

As its ebay / private sale I seem to have no comeback so this car is turning into a nightmare. It was only £1000 but to me this is quite a bit of money.

Any idea of the cost to fix. The car is a 1998 Seat Arosa 1.7 SDI.

I guess the other option is a replacement engine. That doesn't sound much fun either.

I feel sick.

Thanks for any replies

Phil

I wouldn't think it's a bent rod.... Physic to know that anyway.

Engine mounts, exhausts are more likely to cause a vibration.. Or a badly balanced clutch.

You are right though.. New engine is best option.

If the car is fit for purpose, you will struggle to get your money back. So if you have driven the car more than 50 mile, it has been 'fit for a purpose'. -It drives.

But its not good.

you have a few options-

New engine = expensive, prob £550 fitted.

Replace the rod = £300 -- I cant believe its the rod, without other major damage elsewhere.

Easy option - sell the car via a motor auction, of you have paid £1000- you wont lose to much,as a trader will buy it.

Easy option - sell the car via a motor auction, of you have paid £1000- you wont lose to much,as a trader will buy it.

I wouldn't take this as an option really. When my girlfriend has tried to Part-Ex her Mk1 Arosa SDi, the highest value she got was about £350 around 12 months ago.

A trader has to make significant amounts of money on it to make it worth his while.

Is the rod bent or is this still a guess?? I would be amazed if it had a bent rod and even more amazed that the garage diagnosed it without even looking in there.

The rods are cast so theres more chance of the rod snapping than bending so its probably something elsewhere rather than a rod.