Nurburgring.

LiamD

Who has been?

I'm basically bricking it a bit! Haha. I'm going next year, 2 days before Edition 38, as part of a week long European road trip. I may go in April too depending on funds.

Quite a few of my car friends have been, one of which managed to do over 200k's damage to a 911 race car and write off his own 2 week old M3 CSL, and a couple have suffered some blow ups over there, so understandably, I'm rather nervous!

I'm only hoping to do 2/3 laps so what sort of wear and tear can I expect? The car will have new tyres/pads/discs prior to going anyway. How should I approach the track so I don't crash?

Oh, and if anyone has good links and advice for accomodation, that would be great, as I need to book accomodation for a party of roughly 20 people!

Thanks. :)

Liam

I went a few years ago on a CL roadtrip - I've never been on a circuit before, and was also bricking it.

As you say, things like tyres brakes etc are best changed before going, as you really don't want to be running on slicks for the trip back to the UK. I was nervous, but was expecting it to be much like a one way country road. It's not... it's a fair bit more challenging than that! Watch the camber in particular, it can catch you out in places - and head for the inside of the carousels.

Give bikes plenty of room as you move past them, and keep an eye on your mirror - everybody is supposed to overtake on the left, which can get a bit of getting used to when reacting quickly.

I only did one lap, so I'm no expert. My brakes and tyres stank at the end of it - a great feeling. Honestly one of the biggest adrenaline rushes I've ever had.

Your best bet is camping at the official campsite which is just below the GP track. We went for 4 days and paid £50 each for camping, then just got food from a supermaket in nearby Adenau.

I spent around £240 for the 4 days, but I went as a passenger. I paid for one way on the ferry and one tank of fuel, which in total came to just over £100. Add the £50 for camping and that left me with around £100 for food, drink, booze and a couple of gifts.

As for the track just go at your own pace. My mate has done loads of track days but still took his time. There's anything on the track from Saxos, M3s, 911s and bikes to coaches. Just check your mirrors at all times! Take some time to take in the surrounding areas including Nurburg castle, and the surrounding roads....amazing is not the word....hairpins and sweeping bends everywhere!

• Like 1

Money isn't too much of an issue for myself but the campsite sounds good as not everyone going is flushed with monies. Personally I would prefer a hotel as we will have been camping for the past 4 days but that sounds cheap!

The VR will be in much better shape to handle the Nurburgring than it is now by the time we go so I'm not too worried about the car. I'm more worried about coming over a blind crest to be greeted by a coach or a spinning car!

I'm really looking forward to it though :)

PM me if you want any more info mate, only went back in August so it's still fresh in my mind.

Just make sure you take in-car chargers for your phones, and take a couple of spare camera batteries. The whole place is just a photography goldmine. I found myself just taking pics of the forests and countryside.

• Like 1

My brother did it in an overfinched Range Rover sport, two laps an by the time he'd trailored the 997 back to Blighty it neeeded about 800 quids of work to get the braking back to how its meant to be.

In Short...he killed it!

I'd heavily recommend upgrading to braded hoses and 5.1 fluid, as well as getting a set of heat treated discs and some good pads to go with them.

Chances are if you don't do these things you will:

* Wear your pads out

* Boil your brake fluid

* Get serious amounts of brake fade

* Warp your discs

Mostly because your car is very heavy with small brakes and because I suspect you're not going all that way to drive around the it like a puff...

Edited by nfbr

I would second Al's advice regarding brakes. I have been there a couple of times in the last year and it did appear pretty heavy on brakes, I didn't really notice any wear but I could smell them getting hot so they were working hard.

If nothing else I would want to be going with fresh pads and fluid (even if they are OEM).

I can't see me driving too hard Al, I've never driven it before so I'm pretty sure I'll be taking it steady as I would quite like to drive home in one piece! Bigger brakes are definitely in order, just need to do a bit of research into what is best for a Mk3 VR and fits behind 17" wheels.

You say it's a heavy car, but it's only 200kg heavier than a Lupo GTi. :lol: