Brake Pad upgrade?

How do all,

All my brake pads are being changed next week, so would it be a good idea to order in and upgrade to some greenstuff pads? there double the price of the oem ones but brakes are important!

Also my friend said just upgrade the fronts?

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/parts_pad.asp?part=pad&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=Lupo&year=1%2E4+%28100%29+%2899%2D%29

Thanks,

Rich.

The fronts are where the majority of your braking is done so thast probably where that theory has come from, cant confirm wether its right or not though. Glad you asked this question as i'm intrigued myself, does the better performance justify the faster rate of wear etc...? especially considering cost!

Most slate greenstuff pads, I've never had a issue with them... never used them on a Lupo though.

Yes, probably only worth upgrading the front....

Anybody tried Black Diamond stuff??

Edited by 99hjhm

I have had both, ferodo ds2500's and black diamond predator pads both have been excellent. I have never read a bad review about the ferodo pads they are just fecking expensive.

Have read allot of bad things about green stuff, and their pads crumbled on a mates polo gti, so I have stayed clear. Plenty of happy people using them though. coffee.gif

What about the red stuff pads as they only a few quid more than green stuff are they any better or is it just worth buying the ferodo ones as i will be looking to upgrade soon to. :)

Edited by sheps

What about the red stuff pads as they only a few quid more than green stuff are they any better or is it just worth buying the ferodo ones as i will be looking to upgrade soon to. :)

i use Red Stuff pad with Brembo discs on mine and i cant fault their braking capabilities, nearly endos the car if slammed on. Only thing is they are quite dusty so depending on your wheels and whether your quite obsessive about things being clean, you'll be cleaning them every 5 mins....... like me

I personally really dislike the EBC Greenstuff pads. Worse than OEM in my opinion which is why we stopped selling them.

Mintex M1144's are a good pad compound, and are at a fairly reasonable price. Carbone Lorraine RC5+ are the best pads I've tried; Uniquely they work from cold up to over 1000deg C at their optimum friction level, but they don't come with anti-rattle shims

> brake pads

i agree with the comments on how poor the greenstuff pads are ive tried them and found them pretty poor i use brembo discs and pads and couldnt fault them apart from the price

I personally really dislike the EBC Greenstuff pads. Worse than OEM in my opinion which is why we stopped selling them.

Mintex M1144's are a good pad compound, and are at a fairly reasonable price. Carbone Lorraine RC5+ are the best pads I've tried; Uniquely they work from cold up to over 1000deg C at their optimum friction level, but they don't come with anti-rattle shims

> brake pads

Does it matter that they dont have anti-rattle pins will it make any brake squeal am tempted to buy these.

Wish i read the other half of this thread before i ordered some ebc greenstuff's this morning.

On the plus side they were 29quid + vat from GSF,

My friend is running redstufffs up front on his lupo tdi and loves them!

Thanks for all the info,

Rich.

Never liked the greenstuff pads and also after seeing the compound seperating from the backplate on a couple of mates cars.

I have Mintex items on the front and Pagid on the rear.........they work great, especially when the Mintex get some heat into them.

Is that just standard Pagid pads on the back Mike?? I can't decide what to do on the back of mine.

Does it matter that they dont have anti-rattle pins will it make any brake squeal am tempted to buy these.

It doesn't really matter that it doesn't have the anti rattle pins. You will still get the same braking performance with or without.

you shouldn't get any squeal from them under braking. This was one of the things Carbone Lorraine improved when the RC5+ superseded their old RC5 compound..

Edited by Kam Racing

depends on how much you improve the friction level on the front as the brake bias will shift forward..

Thats what I was thinking about... Have a 280mm Black diamond set up to go on the front. Think I might just get the same predator pads to match on the back with ?? discs.