Haakon's Lupo 3L tdi

Haakon

Almost finished with the left side speaker mount now, here are some new pics:

Superglue and pieces of cardboard are key components for angling speakers :)

IMG_1246.jpg

Filled out with fiberglass putty for strength:

IMG_1250.jpg

Some more fiberglass outty:

IMG_1251.jpg

Testfitting of fullrange speaker:

IMG_1252.jpg

Angling pretty much straight up at windshield.

IMG_1255.jpg

After a good few rounds with body filler and sanding, trying out some high rise spray filler here. Starting to take shape:

IMG_1257.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaker adapters/spacers V2.0:

IMG_1271.jpg

Triple layers of 19mm mdf, bonded together and sealed with three thick layers of VPA, this time they shall not swell up like the first ones that were sealed with a layer of polyester. Somehow water got into them and they swelled bigtime :mellow:

They are bonded to the doors with Sicaflex for a perfect seal. And seeing how much work it was getting the old ones off, I think they will hold up just fine being bonded only to the door metal.

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

Pretty much finished up with both the dash speaker mounts, they are NOT going to remain blue, it was just the only glossy paint I had left in my spraycans. It easier to see the curves/where they need to be sanded into shape when glossy.. Will wrap them in carbonfiber vinyl to match the dashboard details.

Cute little fullrange speaker?

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

With 1 reply in the last half a year I think all interest is lost on this project? For those interested you can follow the audio build on talkaudio.co.uk from now on...

peace out.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you post a link to your thread on Talk audio? Can't find it!

Sure thing buddy :)

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.php/topic/334167-vw-lupo-tdi-sq-build-log/page__fromsearch__1

Here are some photos I took with my new 85mm f/1,4 lens late in the evening with low and very yellow sunlight. The vinyl actually changes hue from the sunlight, really cool :)

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

It has now done about 405,000km and still running strong. Just passed inspection for another 2 years, only thing wrong was a faulty abs sensor and a worn out bushing in the front suspension. I also replaced the brakes just before that, as they were pretty worn out. And off course, special delivery from VW in Germany, no specific 3L parts on stock here.

I recently bought a dirt cheap Golf 3 as an extra car, so now that the Lupo is not my only car and daily driver, I can really go all out if I wish.. Rip out the dash and make a new one, maybe with an iPad or Galaxy Tab integrated, and full Focal Utopia front stage, I have all the best drivers from the old W series Utopia. TLR tweeters, 6W mids (6,5") and 7w2 midbasses. Outside diameter is 22cm (9") so the 7" diametes specified by Focal should be taken with a grain of salt, hehe.. I do have these in the doors in the Lupo now btw, and they sound excellent. Still have to make a lower door card to make it look like they belong there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...